ALT text for SmugMug buttons...

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited March 13, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I'm having a problem viewing SmugMug in Opera. When I go to the site it always renders the ALT text for buttons even though the images are also loading. I know that if you turn off images Opera is supposed toload the ALT text, but not if the images are loading correctly, which they are!

Anyone have any ideas? I've messed around with the Style modes, etc... Still nothing.

Thanks!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I'm having a problem viewing SmugMug in Opera. When I go to the site it always renders the ALT text for buttons even though the images are also loading. I know that if you turn off images Opera is supposed toload the ALT text, but not if the images are loading correctly, which they are!

Anyone have any ideas? I've messed around with the Style modes, etc... Still nothing.

Thanks!
    Opera isn't one of our fully supported browsers for this very reason, sorry.

We support fully: IE6 & IE7, Firefox and Safari for Windows, and Safari and Firefox for Macs.

thumb.gif
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Out of curiosity why is this? In all the W3C standards compliance tests that I have seen Opera is actually the best of the pack. Is it a simple case of having to program for the most people even if the final result isn't 100% standards compliant?
    edited March 12, 2008
    Well, I donwloaded and installed the latest beta for Opera and that seems to have fixed the button problem. Hopefully I won't encounter nay other issues while using Opera.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Out of curiosity why is this? In all the W3C standards compliance tests that I have seen Opera is actually the best of the pack. Is it a simple case of having to program for the most people even if the final result isn't 100% standards compliant?

All browsers have idosyncrasies, even browsers that score better on W3C standards tests still have idosyncrasies in their behavior. So, unfortunately the state of the world is that if you have a site that pushes the latest web experience (which Smugmug does with Ajax and CSS), then the site has to be specifically tested and tuned to work with all the browsers they want to support. IE is worse than others because it flunks so many standards tests, but there is still no such thing as a perfect browser that a perfect site will just work on with no testing or tweaking. For garden variety HTML, maybe. But, not for the latests/greatest web techniques.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited March 13, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    All browsers have idosyncrasies, even browsers that score better on W3C standards tests still have idosyncrasies in their behavior. So, unfortunately the state of the world is that if you have a site that pushes the latest web experience (which Smugmug does with Ajax and CSS), then the site has to be specifically tested and tuned to work with all the browsers they want to support. IE is worse than others because it flunks so many standards tests, but there is still no such thing as a perfect browser that a perfect site will just work on with no testing or tweaking. For garden variety HTML, maybe. But, not for the latests/greatest web techniques.

Very true!

It seems like a lot of problems with Opera and Smugmug are fixed with their latest beta, so I'll see how it progresses from there.