At long last, bugs!!!!

RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
edited March 14, 2008 in Holy Macro
I finally found a plant in flower around my house, and it's an acreage, so that's saying something, and the bees had beaten me to it!

This guy could give gene simmons a run for his money!
265105321_kSg9Y-L.jpg

Bottoms up, as they say...
265106015_E7vMW-M.jpg

Going further around my house, I found an unknown something or other, seems like a something that's going to turn into something else at some point... ID please??
265106680_ub6MP-M.jpg

Finally, and this was mostly by happy accident, I shot enough frames of this fly handheld without him seeming to move, that I thought I'd give focus stacking a try:
265105111_mM2Aj-L.jpg

I think with the stacking the frames I took of his front end aren't aligned very well at all, though I suspect he twitched imperceptibly while I was firing away. I also need more frames between front and back...

Comments

• GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    Love that first shot! clap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Love the tiny little pieces of pollen on his body - a busy bee indeed! Nice capture.
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Lovely bee shots, The unknown is an empty ladybird pupa case- probably a harlequin ladybird. The fly stack is pretty good although the shots are a bit overexposed and you have some duplication around the head.

Brian V.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Lovely bee shots, The unknown is an empty ladybird pupa case- probably a harlequin ladybird. The fly stack is pretty good although the shots are a bit overexposed and you have some duplication around the head.

Brian V.

Thanks for the info! I had wondered if it were a ladybird, I'd seen similar spikes on something I'd been told was a larvae, but it seemed a bit of a jump to something as strange as that.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    I finally found a plant in flower around my house, and it's an acreage, so that's saying something, and the bees had beaten me to it!

Going further around my house, I found an unknown something or other, seems like a something that's going to turn into something else at some point... ID please??

Finally, and this was mostly by happy accident, I shot enough frames of this fly handheld without him seeming to move, that I thought I'd give focus stacking a try:

I think with the stacking the frames I took of his front end aren't aligned very well at all, though I suspect he twitched imperceptibly while I was firing away. I also need more frames between front and back...

Hi Robin, ohhh I like your Bottoms Up shot clap.gif
    Those little bees amaze me as to how far they attempt to push their heads inside a flower.

I'm glad you've given Focus Stacking a try, Brian is really quite the expert when it comes to Stacking Images, and more than willing to give advice on the subject .... takes a while to figure it out, but your attempt is very very good clap.gif thanks for sharing your bugs Robin thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited March 13, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone!!

It's been such a joy to actually find something green to aim a camera at after a long white winter, don't get me wrong, I love snow, but I have limits :D

And Brian, as concerns stacking, I'm having trouble working out the best strategy to find the points to align the images as in your guide, trying to guess where that point should be when in some images the blur is already fairly developped, is there a way to link A to B, then B to C, then C to D, because in my images I've found there's no chance with A to D, and even B to D can be a stretch
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    Thanks for the comments everyone!!

It's been such a joy to actually find something green to aim a camera at after a long white winter, don't get me wrong, I love snow, but I have limits :D

And Brian, as concerns stacking, I'm having trouble working out the best strategy to find the points to align the images as in your guide, trying to guess where that point should be when in some images the blur is already fairly developped, is there a way to link A to B, then B to C, then C to D, because in my images I've found there's no chance with A to D, and even B to D can be a stretch

Lovely shots. I like them all. I have just started to learn the Stacking and it is not easy especially with bugs. I seem to get away with it to a certain extent with a 'screw' I applaud youclap.gif

Regards
    Bob
  • nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Someone just loves pollen in that first and second shot. Nice to see this fine series of shots. Now we need more of course.

Danny.
    edited March 13, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Lovely shots. I like them all. I have just started to learn the Stacking and it is not easy especially with bugs. I seem to get away with it to a certain extent with a 'screw' I applaud youclap.gif

Regards
    Bob
    Let's hope beginner's luck hasn't set the bar too high!
    nzmacro wrote:
    Now we need more of course.
    ...I knew there had to be a catch somewhere :D
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:

http://robin-taylor.smugmug.com/photos/265105321_kSg9Y-L.jpg

http://robin-taylor.smugmug.com/photos/265106015_E7vMW-M.jpg

http://robin-taylor.smugmug.com/photos/265106680_ub6MP-M.jpg

http://robin-taylor.smugmug.com/photos/265105111_mM2Aj-L.jpg

Wow those are some great shots love the first one......