Monitor Calibration?

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 13, 2008 in People
I am just getting an opinion on these.

I re-calibrated my monitor this afternoon and it took a huge shift in brightness.

Which is best on your calibrated monitor?

265123204_XoiJt-L.jpg

265123592_8PTUS-L.jpg

Comments

• RuinRuin Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    #1 is super bright, but still nice.

#2 isn't nearly as bright, has more vivid colors and definitely my favorite.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

I need to recalibrate myself as I believe mine is too bright right now, but I definitely prefer the richer, darker tones of the second shot.

edit: It's a beautiful shot, BTW. Love the background!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Ruin wrote:
    #1 is super bright, but still nice.

#2 isn't nearly as bright, has more vivid colors and definitely my favorite.

Are you using a hardware calibrated monitor?
    edited March 12, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I need to recalibrate myself as I believe mine is too bright right now, but I definitely prefer the richer, darker tones of the second shot.

edit: It's a beautiful shot, BTW. Love the background!

Thanks Elaine....I just sent you an SOS in PM. Disreguard it I guess. I will tell you everything I know about blogger whenever you are ready!!!

I promise!
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I am just getting an opinion on these.

I re-calibrated my monitor this afternoon and it took a huge shift in brightness.

Which is best on your calibrated monitor?
    Can you give me some info on how you've calibrated? i.e. temperature, gamma, luminance, and the device used? Is the first or the second version the "new" one? The first looks too bright to me. The second is a bit dark, but the colors are nice. Almost a little too orange in the second. BUT, the first has WAY more dynamic range. You can see the shape of her chest, whereas in the second, it's just a black lump. BUT, the wall looks better in the second.

I use a i1Pro to calibrate, so, I know my screen is exactly correct. The i1Pro is a spectrometer vs. a colorimeter. Way more accurate :) But, if you're getting a wild change in brightness, I'd be concerned...

David
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    For this shot I prefer #1, although I usually like rich colors ........ ne_nau.gif Can it be somewhere in between? mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited March 12, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    For this shot I prefer #1, although I usually like rich colors ........ ne_nau.gif Can it be somewhere in between? mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Well my guess is that I am seeing what everyone else is seeing.

In #1, the black point is a tad grey...especially around the eyes.

In #2, I went overboard with the blacks....especially the shirt.

I think I found a happy medium. I am uploading some Sr photos I will hopefully be able to share tommorrow.

Thanks everyone for helping.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    On my monitor, R face, R hair, upper arm and the area of wall close to it of #1 are very natural color (where not fully lit from L) - that is, if she is very fair with white skin. But overall looks dusted with fine talc. Yes, #2 is too far down the black end.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix