Meet Lindsey-Sr 2008

2»

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Jeff, these are breathtaking.

I am in awe of your "eyes" for locations and poses. I love the brick wall --wow what a setting. And the white pillared sidewalk is the perfect framing for that outfit. I guess I don't get as freaked about white shirts as they really do light up the face, and shooting RAW makes it a bit less stressful exposure.

Hmmmm...breathtaking?
    I am starting to realize that most any location is good....if you catch it in the right light. I know that SOUNDS crazy, but with a creative DOF and good solid lighting I think anything is possible. The photos on the bricks? There were people trampling everywhere around us...except in the viewfinder. WE were at the old state capitol building for those and there was some sort of brunch being held on the grounds with white tables and chairs EVERYWHERE. Not to mention there is a big project to restore the iron fencing which now surrounds the place with heavy equipment and chain link and orange cones and....

we found a patch of old herringbone brickwork and I climbed up on a statue base. ne_nau.gif

I was nervous when she said she was bringing a white shirt....but....I am also a firm believer in my people being comfortable...especially in their choice of clothing. AS for the white pillared framework shot. Well. I got beat up the last time I labeled something an out -take....but. On the way back to the parking garage...so we could hit location #2...I looked back through the breezeway in the direction the photo was taken and "saw" it. snap-snap. It wouldn't be as cool without all the intricate framing in the ceiling. It is one of my favorites of the day even if it does look a bit more commercial than what I would like to produce. I am pleased that you chose to comment at all on that particular photo. Thanks!!!
    I am very curious to know which ones you used a reflector in (the first one I think I see the catchlights, but the others the eyes are too far away). Just curious to see if I got it right :D

3,4,6,7,8....did NOT use a reflector. In the photo below you can see the corner of the foam core(mid-frame left). You can also see how harsh the sun was just a couple feet away on the ground in front of her. I decided I could patch that blown grass for a full length shot. I didn't use this one, but the keepers were very similar.

265603365_VW3Ep-M.jpg
    I also admire the mixture of shooting perspectives...the ones with her sitting on the brick are amazing. Great texture and creative composition while leaving plenty of room for the dreaded 11x14 crop...not an easy balance to strike.

Yeah? well some chick on here once told me I need to try out a little higher angle. That stung (not really) a bit at first, but if she sees these she will at least know that I am leaning from her remarks. It was good advice. Tell her I said so!
    Will echo with others that 10 and 11 are my faves. But there is not one shot in this series I wouldn't be THRILLED to produce!

You blew these out of the park Jeff...enjoy the buzz!!!

Oh, and I do agree wiht others about seeing different expressions. But guess what....smiles sell, so fuhgettaboudit.clap.gifclapclap.gif

YOu are too much!!!
    I appreciate your comments. The buzz was my phone all day yesterday after she put these on her myspace!!

That is my marketing tip of the day. If you are doing senior photos?....just go ahead and water mark the photos. Then let them have up to a medium sized photo on your site, and tell them you will allow right click copying for their myspaces. Trust me. You won't be sorry for that. If you try to prevent that, they will just scan the photos when they get prints anyway. With them watermarked on their myspace.....it is absolutely better than a business card.

AS for the expressions....

My theory is...the customer may not always be right, but they are always the customer. We did some variations...a few, but she likes her smiley pics.

She's da boss!!:D
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Awesome shots!!! You keep blowing me away with your work. I love the lighting, the poses, the backgrounds, the bokeh, all of it. Wow!

Thanks David. I am particularly liking the shallow DOF look this week. It's nice when you are working with someone who is willing to be patient enough to let you do that. Not so much on the 3/4 length shots, but on headshots it may take a few frames to be sure everything is just right....at least for me.

jayegirl vbmenu_register("postmenu_777306", true);
    Big grins

image.php?u=814&dateline=1204989478

Amazing again. I absolutely love the pictures you take.
    Tokina 10-17 fisheye
    Manfrotto monopod
    Slik Pro 400 DX tripod
    Smugmug camera strap:D

Thanks Jaye!!!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    Deadeye008 wrote:
    Very nice work as usuall Jeff! I did my first shoot using exclusively my 85mm this past week and I realized I need to use it more as well! Love the DOF on these.thumb.gif

I find it too limiting to use exclusively. I used it, my 17-55, and my thrifty 50 for these. I should have been using the Tamron. I had it calibrated and need to check that out, but haven't had the guts to try it out yet.

The 85 is an awesome lens....but you need a LOT of real estate to be able to use it.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    You're welcome.

My jaw is fine. :D

You'd mentioned her senior "portfolio," so I thought these were for modelling, so, in my best Rosanne Rosanadana voice; "Nevermind!" And I'll edit my post to the following: "I'll echo Swartzy - beautiful shots of a beautiful young lady. My favorites are 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 11.

Great shots, Jeffreaux. Two more thumbs up. Not a bad shot in the lot. I look forward to seeing the results of tomorrow's shoot. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Have fun!"

Ahhh

Dont worry about it. I knew we were on two different pages. :D

In a forum that is shared the world over it is bound to happen. No need to edit your post either. I agree that a variation in expressions would be a good thing. I also realized....during the shoot....that her hands were gravitating toward her pockets. Even though she never sank her hands into her pockets I was very aware of it. I let it go as long as her....and her hands seemed relaxed...or comfortable. I think she did really well. WE have to remember....99% of us are NOT comfortable in front of the camera!!!mwink.gif
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Okay, Jeff... don't take this the wrong way, but.... I HATE YOU!! How do you do it??? Your consistently gorgeous color, composition, location choices, exposure, post processing are just mind boggling to me!! (btw...i don't ACTUALLY hate, you...just a little jealous!!) :D

I'm with Xandertures, if you ever want to put together a course on Post Proc, I'm coming down! Love it!!.... you Rock! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Was this with that Tamy of yours again?? Can't wait to see the next days work!

cheers!
    B
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    Okay, Jeff... don't take this the wrong way, but.... I HATE YOU!! How do you do it??? Your consistently gorgeous color, composition, location choices, exposure, post processing are just mind boggling to me!! (btw...i don't ACTUALLY hate, you...just a little jealous!!) :D

I'm with Xandertures, if you ever want to put together a course on Post Proc, I'm coming down! Love it!!.... you Rock! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Was this with that Tamy of yours again?? Can't wait to see the next days work!

cheers!
    B

Yikes!!! What a temper!!!:D

YOU have nothing to be jealous of. I have seen you work!!!mwink.gif

I seriously doubt anyone would want to travel to Baton Rouge to see how I "wing it" in Lightroom and Photoshop. I do however appreciate the kind remarks.

None taken with the Tamron yet. Maybe for prom night. That will be my chance to do some low pressure candids.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Just stunning! I hope to do more seniors this year - I've only done one and it would be embarrassing to post it here - especially next to yours! Just gorgeous!

I agree about expressions - I'd love to see her serious, contemplative, silly, whatever. But heck, these are all so stunning that it's a very minor nice!

Awesome!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    Just stunning! I hope to do more seniors this year - I've only done one and it would be embarrassing to post it here - especially next to yours! Just gorgeous!

I agree about expressions - I'd love to see her serious, contemplative, silly, whatever. But heck, these are all so stunning that it's a very minor nice!

Awesome!

Well if you want to do more....

Be sure to give them free medium sized downloads with a watermark that has your domain name on it. They will go straight to their myspace pages and ALL of their friends will see them.

The part two set I just posted has a couple variations, but....she stayed pretty much with just smiling in all of them. Thanks for the compliments.

I hardly doubt you have ANYTHING to be embarrassed about!! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yikes!!! What a temper!!!:D

YOU have nothing to be jealous of. I have seen you work!!!mwink.gif

I seriously doubt anyone would want to travel to Baton Rouge to see how I "wing it" in Lightroom and Photoshop. I do however appreciate the kind remarks.

None taken with the Tamron yet. Maybe for prom night. That will be my chance to do some low pressure candids.

Well, if you say so, i'll believe you!! thanks for the kind words! I just have to get the jist of P.S. Elements (its still a bit of a mystery to me!), and start setting custom W/B... do you know any books i should be reading?...

can't wait to see more of your stuff!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    Well, if you say so, i'll believe you!! thanks for the kind words! I just have to get the jist of P.S. Elements (its still a bit of a mystery to me!), and start setting custom W/B... do you know any books i should be reading?...

can't wait to see more of your stuff!

Bryam Peterson has a couple good books....

Beyond portraits, and Understanding Exposure