Shutter Speed 1/250

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 13, 2008 in Cameras
I have a Canon 40D and have been using an MP-E 65 lens with a 580 mk 11 flash. When I have the flash switched on I notice my shutter speed will not go any higher that 1/250. Is this normal?
Regards
Bob

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 13, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I have a Canon 40D and have been using an MP-E 65 lens with a 580 mk 11 flash. When I have the flash switched on I notice my shutter speed will not go any higher that 1/250. Is this normal?
    Regards
    Bob

Yes. 1/250 is the maximum synch speed. However, if you set the flash for high-speed synch, you can shoot at a faster shutter speed. It works a little differently--instead of a single pulse, the flash puts out continuous low-power bursts while the shutter is open.

Hope this helps.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Yes. 1/250 is the maximum synch speed. However, if you set the flash for high-speed synch, you can shoot at a faster shutter speed. It works a little differently--instead of a single pulse, the flash puts out continuous low-power bursts while the shutter is open.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Richard, very helpful indeed. For example if I was taking water droplets from a tap would you recommend I increase the shutter speed.
    Regards
    Bob
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 13, 2008
    If you want to stop the flowing water sharply, you may well need a shutter speed near 1/2000th ( one two thousandth ) and that will require High Speed Synch. Your manual will explain how to set to HSS.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you want to stop the flowing water sharply, you may well need a shutter speed near 1/2000th ( one two thousandth ) and that will require High Speed Synch. Your manual will explain how to set to HSS.

Thanks ever so much I will certainly try that.
    Regards
    Bob