Protective gear for sports photography

DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited March 26, 2008 in Sports
I had a few close calls with baseballs that thought that my head looked like a good place to hit (almost). So, I'd like to get something to protect myself.

My first thought was a batting helmet; but, is there anything that other sports photog's use that might be more useful to both protect and allow access to my eyes for the camera?

Thanks!

David

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    skateboarding helmet may work well...
    Aaron Nelson
  • awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Hey David, Sportsshooter had a post on this recently that was a good read, http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=28573. Hopefully this answers your question. Also it addresses the idea of skateboarding helmets further down. (not a great idea)
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
    edited March 13, 2008
    i dont happen to have time to read a thread like that,.... can you quote for us?
    Aaron Nelson
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I ended up buying a batters helmet. The issue was the bill (of course), so, I just tilted it high up on my head, and it protected most of my head, and offered full use of the camera. It's definately a tradeoff, but, I don't really want to end up dead from a ball game.

For the record, no one laughed. Most were actually like, "Hey, good idea!"

David
  • awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    I'll do my best to do a brief overview of the different types of protection that were talked about in that thread for those that are busy.

Option 1: Actual baseball helmet, shooting horizontally the bill of the helmet does not get in the way. To shoot vertical just tilt the brim of the helmet up a bit and you should be fine. I'd be careful about cutting the bill off. That could compromise the helmet in some way or another because it is a modification that the maker of the helmet never intended. A possible solution for your problem could be an eyepiece extender if they make them?

Option 2: Catchers helmet (baseball helmet that is worn backwards by catchers with no ear protection), that last little bit says it all, does not offer any protection to the side of the head which is where you're going to be most vulnerable.

Option 3: Skateboard helmet, again might work but is not designed to withstand 100+ mph baseballs being hit at it. Its purpose is to provide protection from a fall at a much lower speed.

Option 4: Hockey helmet, wasn't a lot of talk about this and could work, but then again I don't know.

Overall, your best chance to stay safe is be aware of the game going on around you. Watch the ball, listen to whats going and and BE PREPARED TO MOVE!
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
    edited March 14, 2008
    thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I've been shooting adult league hockey lately and the best vantage point is from the benches. I got a used helmet from a friend, without face guard, to wear while shooting. Besides being smart, many rinks won't let you hang out on the bench without protection. Many still won't if you aren't playing, but it helps your odds of not being sent packing to the stands.

Mike
  • Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    awmphoto wrote:
    I'll do my best to do a brief overview of the different types of protection that were talked about in that thread for those that are busy.

Option 1: Actual baseball helmet, shooting horizontally the bill of the helmet does not get in the way. To shoot vertical just tilt the brim of the helmet up a bit and you should be fine. I'd be careful about cutting the bill off. That could compromise the helmet in some way or another because it is a modification that the maker of the helmet never intended. A possible solution for your problem could be an eyepiece extender if they make them?

Option 2: Catchers helmet (baseball helmet that is worn backwards by catchers with no ear protection), that last little bit says it all, does not offer any protection to the side of the head which is where you're going to be most vulnerable.

Option 3: Skateboard helmet, again might work but is not designed to withstand 100+ mph baseballs being hit at it. Its purpose is to provide protection from a fall at a much lower speed.

Option 4: Hockey helmet, wasn't a lot of talk about this and could work, but then again I don't know.

Overall, your best chance to stay safe is be aware of the game going on around you. Watch the ball, listen to whats going and and BE PREPARED TO MOVE!

Don't forget about a skull cap. This is a catcher's helmit that does not have a bill on the front. It's usually used with the older facemasks. This could protect your head without having the hassle of the bill in the way.
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com