Longevity of Sigma lenses?

BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
edited March 14, 2008 in Cameras
I am wondering if anyone knows the life of a sigma lens. We all know that nikons and canons will with stand the test of time...but what about sigma?

I am considering thier 10-20mm wide angle...since all the reviews put them about neck and neck and I can save about 400-500 bucks...that money could go towrads my 17-55mm lens.

But before I pull the trigger I want to know it will last me many, many years and it will not crap out on me.

If anyone has any help that would be awesome. Thanks.
Brandon Perron Photography
www.brandonperron.com

Comments

• thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I have owned only two sigma lenses, one lasted a number of years before I gave it away to a friend (135mm prime) and the other lasted a few hours before the focusing ring locked up (70-200 f/2.8). I would consider only prime lenses from sigma based on my experience.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Have had the 10-20 HSM EX for two years now, it is better built than every other canon lens other than the L line, in my opinion. It is a beast, rugged and my expectations are no different than any other lens I own.

Note that the EX line is the higher end for Sigma.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 13, 2008
    Manual lenses, manual focus and manual aperture, had the fewest parts and the fewest problems over time as long as they were properly stored.

Starting with auto-aperture lenses, reliability started to go downward. Still not bad, even from second tier manufacturers.

Beginning with electronic couplings, things have gotten much worse regarding longevity. I have a Canon EF 28-80mm, f2.8-4L that Canon will no longer repair if it fails. My only recourse is independant repair shops. Again, that's a Canon "L" lens.

Static electricity can, and does, knock out modern lenses. Mechanicals can also go bad. I know folks want to believe that their expensive purchases will be somehow immune, but I don't believe that is necessarily any longer the case.

The Sigma EX lenses I have, I have two and one is the 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM, I would be very happy to have last 20 years. Part of that depends upon me and how I treat the lenses. I would rate them as very good quality and about the same construction quality as either Canon or Nikon "better" lenses. The glass itself is more comparable to the "best" lenses available. They are tremendous values and yield great images (mostly).

How long will they last? Who knows, but I'll be shooting in the meantime. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • museratomuserato Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I had a Sigma 28-300 (which is pretty much as crappy quality wise as you can probably get in their line of lenses). It worked with no problems for 4+ years, no problem whatsoever. It obviously got shelved after getting the Canon 17-55mm. I sold it recently.
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Thanks everyone, that makes me feel alot better about going with a sigma...I treat my lenses very, very, very well so that is not an issue.
    www.brandonperron.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 13, 2008
    I suspect that Ziggy is correct, if for no other reason than modern AF auto aperture lenses are very complex, sophisticated electro-optical systems compared to older lenses that had a simple manually activated iris, and minimal moving lens parts since focusing was done manually, and a simple iris diaphragm.

I have always wondered if IS or VR lenses were mechanically less robust than lenses without IS or VR, because that IS capability requires a delicate moveable piece of glass that is suspended lightly so that it can move quickly with camera movement. I have never heard anyone suggest this, and my experience with IS lenses does not support my concern, but I still wonder now and again. Time will tell.

I did have a Tamron 200-500 die for no apparent reason - working fine one moment, and then on the same camera, not even turned off, AF ceased and the camera ( 5D) displayed ERROR 99 whenever the lens was mounted on it. Returned it to Tamron Factory Service, and they repaired it ,under warranty, without question, and I still use the lens today.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I've had the wigma for about 2 years myself and it's probably my most used lens and I shoot almost once a week for a few hours. Haven't had a hiccup ever.
    BTW USA Sigma EX models come with a 4 year warranty as well.

I suspect that if you don't abuse your gear, it should last quiet a long time. I've had many sigmas and never had a problem with them. Also with Canons, Tamrons, and Tokinas as well.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I am wondering if anyone knows the life of a sigma lens. We all know that nikons and canons will with stand the test of time...but what about sigma?

I am considering thier 10-20mm wide angle...since all the reviews put them about neck and neck and I can save about 400-500 bucks...that money could go towrads my 17-55mm lens.

But before I pull the trigger I want to know it will last me many, many years and it will not crap out on me.

If anyone has any help that would be awesome. Thanks.

I have shot almost exclusively with Sigma for a very long time...that all my cameras aside from a Miranda 35 and my 2 1/4 format cameras have all had Siggys attached....but I do take care of them.....I do not baby them ..they get tossed into the backseat and get wet in drizzle or a sudden downpour that was totally unexpected.....I have a 70-210 2.8 that has been around a very long time but I have sent it off to be cleaned and lubed...this is my choice just like keepy your car lubed....currently I have the 70-210 2.8 APO, 24-70 2.8 EX, and a ultra compact 28-200......I have never had a prob with a Siggy just up and quiting on me for now reason....I do a lot of wildlife and landscape pohotos and here in KS the wind keeps the sand stirring and that is why I opt to have my lenses cleaned and lubed internally)....I have ran some Siggys in the pas over 10 yrs of heavy use...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 13, 2008
    Just as a for instance, this is my oldest lens. The camera it mounts on probably dates to 1906-1907, a Graflex "folder". I presume the lens is about the same age so around 100 years old. Seems to be around 5" focal length and f4.5.

I keep meaning to test it on a dSLR. Woot clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    to the OP, I have the siggie 10-20 and love it, it did give up on me after about a year and alot of use but sigma has a pretty butt kicking warranty so i had it fixed in a jiffy and its working greatr, i also had a sigma 50mm macro that was older (non dg or ex or what ever that was) and its AF was repaired before i got it and the AF lasted about 2 months before it too quit... (mind you it was an older lens) so i sold it and bought a new version thats really nice. you cant go wrong with the sigma's IMHO, the warranty and price and IQ make them worth the $$
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited March 13, 2008
    Thanks to everyone who has repsonded looks like I will be good with the sigma. Now i just need to cross my fingers and hope I get a good one cause it seems that there is an issue with some not being the best and quite soft.
    www.brandonperron.com
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    The one problem with Sigma lenses...
    Sigma's practice of reverse engineering sometimes may cause problems for Sigma lens owners. A Sigma lens bought today may not work with a Canon body that comes out next month.

This is no big problem since Sigma will rechip any lens in current production so that it will work with a new Canon body. However, the operative term in this statement is "in-production".

When Sigma upgrades a lens or ceases production of a lens; it will not or cannot rechip that lens for newer Canon bodies. I have an older Sigma 28mm f/1.8 lens which has been replaced in the Sigma line by the present offering. This lens will work on a 10D camera but not on a 20D-350D or later models. I cannot get it upgraded by Sigma so my lens is worthless for my new bodies.
    edited March 14, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    Sigma's practice of reverse engineering sometimes may cause problems for Sigma lens owners. A Sigma lens bought today may not work with a Canon body that comes out next month.

This is no big problem since Sigma will rechip any lens in current production so that it will work with a new Canon body. However, the operative term in this statement is "in-production".

When Sigma upgrades a lens or ceases production of a lens; it will not or cannot rechip that lens for newer Canon bodies. I have an older Sigma 28mm f/1.8 lens which has been replaced in the Sigma line by the present offering. This lens will work on a 10D camera but not on a 20D-350D or later models. I cannot get it upgraded by Sigma so my lens is worthless for my new bodies.

That is something very interesting to think about. My plans are for the d300 and I am pretty sure I will stick with that for many years...and I know that works with it...so I am not to worry about that, but this is a very good point.
    www.brandonperron.com