just messing around

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited March 15, 2008 in People
Been playing a bit with natural light, trying to get good results without resorting to flash. these are pretty much SOOC (I did brighten and clean his face up a tiny bit)

1. Harry...turning 3 in two weeks...
265444013_Sxfj2-L.jpg

2. (me) window light....and straight hair :yikes
265443952_4ARzE-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    What gorgeous use of light! You've really made his eyes pop - and yours are gorgeous!

But now I am seeing why people freak when I straighten my hair - that doesn't look like you. Laughing.gif! You still look awesome, though!

Very nice!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    My goodness--the eyes have it! clap.gif I love the composition in the first and the way the light refracts in his left (our right) eye.

And your eyes are the most fan-freaking-tastic color! Beautiful! :D
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Yes DEFINITELY the EYES have it!!! love'm
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I love the lighting and the composition in the first one.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Oh my...gorgeous! Love the colors and comp and DOF on Harry's shot! And I love how the light is working on yours! Stunning. Straight hair or not. clap.gif

A hairdresser recently flat-ironed my hair for the first time in my life a few months ago and :yikes was a good way to describe my reaction, too. It was fun for the day, but not me.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Love his eyes - that is just wonderful.

The portrait of you - I may be mistaken (I often am, just ask my wife!) but this may be the most flattering portrait of you that I have seen. The straight hair is certainly different but "it's not you" and, in my view, has nothing to do with the flatteringness (that's a new word BTW) of the photo.

Love the way you used the light in these. Well done thumb.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    #1 is sweet!!! Perfect DOF. Eyes, nose, mouth. A slither of the universe in a fraction of a second. I love it.

#2 Are your eyes really that blue? My only nit is the captions.....
    1. Harry...turning 3 in two weeks...
    2. (me) window light....and straight hair :yikes

Would seem to me it should have said.....

1. Harry...turning 3 in two weeks....

2. (me)...tuning (insert age) in (?) weeks...

As it is...you have left us hangin' mwink.gif

Nice shots Lynne. Sharp where they need to be sharp, and not where they need to be not.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

We all know that she's turning 25 with her next birthday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    We all know that she's turning 25 with her next birthday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

...and wouldn't you know it....my hair is coming back thick and lush.

rolleyes1.gif :ivar
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    What gorgeous use of light! You've really made his eyes pop - and yours are gorgeous!

But now I am seeing why people freak when I straighten my hair - that doesn't look like you. Laughing.gif! You still look awesome, though!
    Thanks Andi! Yeah, I really like it this way because it's so different, I was so tired of it being the same for so long! People don't recognize me though, it's funny. thanks for commenting, I know my wittle self p is nothing compared to your masterpieces!
    Llewellyn wrote:
    I love the composition in the first and the way the light refracts in his left (our right) eye.
    Thanks! It's very interesting how the slightest change in shooting angle can affect the eyelight when you're shooting au naturel. I don't know how I would ever do it consistently in a client session...I only got my guy to sit still for 3 minutes thanks to a bag of trail mix. rolleyes1.gif
    elaine wrote:
    Oh my...gorgeous! Love the colors and comp and DOF on Harry's shot!
    Thanks! I'm wanting to take some killer 3 yo shots of him, so this is sort of practice...now I just need to find that perfect outfit. (I can never find "cool" boy dress clothes!!!)
    And I love how the light is working on yours! Stunning. Straight hair or not. A hairdresser recently flat-ironed my hair for the first time in my life a few months ago and :yikes was a good way to describe my reaction, too. It was fun for the day, but not me.
    I remember seeing that!!! I am having fun with it but definitely have lazy days like today when I just let it be itself. I do wish my pupils weren't so dilated...looks like I just came back from the optometrist! :wow

The portrait of you - I may be mistaken (I often am, just ask my wife!) but this may be the most flattering portrait of you that I have seen.
    Well aren't you just a sweetie!!! Thanks a lot, Scott! iloveyou.gif

jeffreaux2 wrote:
    #1 is sweet!!! Perfect DOF. Eyes, nose, mouth. A slither of the universe in a fraction of a second. I love it.

#2 Are your eyes really that blue?
    not quite but sometimes they do tend to photograph that way....headscratch.gif neither one of these have been PSd, I swear!
    189644438_vAnb5-Th-3.jpg
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    My only nit is the captions.....Would seem to me it should have said.....

Nice shots Lynne. Sharp where they need to be sharp, and not where they need to be not.

OK FINE!
    2. (me)...tuning (THIRTY) in (FOUR) weeks...

Happy? :Drolleyes1.gif

Thanks guys for the comments!!! David S and RBrogen looks like I missed quoting yours...thank you much and appreciate you looking!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    h for harry is handsome

l for lovely photographs by lynne
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    He's adorable and it's a great shot to boot.

You... whoa... :whew :) Great shot too! :P
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    iloveyou.gif beautiful!

so what is 'yours'? the straight hair or the curls?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    H is for How Handsome Harry is!!! What a cutie and a great shot. Killer eyes. iloveyou.gif

B is for cow-a-Bunga what Big Baby Blues you have!!!! Lucky girl! Funny...I always imagined you were brown-eyed! Per the curls....I thought it was a perm...rolleyes1.gif I like the new you. Great photos and use of natural light. I love window light and when it's good, it's pretty darn hard to beat!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I dunno, I kinda like the straight hair! mwink.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    These are wonderful! The picture of Harry is great on so many levels... the way his eyes pop, the tilt of his head, the angle looking down at him, the way his head is cropped, the soft blue in the shirt complimenting the eyes... wow.

I'm hoping to do some actor headshots for some friends, maybe break into that market here in LA, and I think I'll use this picture of Harry as inspiration. Get that kid an agent!
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.