Bob Scott's Bothy

OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited March 19, 2008 in Journeys
Near the small village of Braemar, in the Highlands of Scotland, there is a Bothy (a shelter) named after one of the area's local characters 'Bob Scott'.

264733220_kUR7x-L.jpg

Every year, my friend and I make the journey there in memory of our dear friend Harris, whose life was cut tragically short. We all shared some poignant moments at the bothy, and it seems fitting to remember him this way.

This year was the first time I took my dog, Doogle. He loved the experience...

264735457_buWAy-L.jpg

...but he wasn't sure about the dude with the axe.

264732728_q5Qin-L.jpg

Fortunately, he was a friendly guy that we met at the bothy the previous year :D

The area is beautiful, and leads to Scotland's 2nd highest mountain, Beinn Macdui.

264734727_ixBtM-L.jpg

Every year we have been there, the weather has been "challenging", but on the walk back from the bothy this year, it was good walking weather. :D

265443161_mtkz8-L.jpg

I stopped on the way back to snap a shot of this poor victim of a past lightning strike.

265067080_d94kA-L.jpg

Good to see that in parts of the area, reforestation is on-going. Scotland used to be covered in vast forests a long time ago.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 13, 2008
    Nice way to remember a friend.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Are they Bob Scott's undies hangin from the mantle shelf? And did you really need the bike to get to the dunny and back?

Good to meet the word bothy again. I have some UK friends who now grow pinot noir and chardonnay in north west Tasmania, and before they built their house on their property they lived in electricity linesmen's portable huts which they bought, and which they referred to as bothies (I just mistakenly typed boothies, and might have discovered for myself a relative of the word - booth!).

Nice dog and nice skies!

If you want magnificent walking country, still with forests intact, go to Tasmania. You might never want to leave.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Stuart - as always - great images!
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    I really like the last shot, but also love the look of the pooch eying the hatchet! rolleyes1.gif

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Thanks everyone!
    NeilL wrote:
    Are they Bob Scott's undies hangin from the mantle shelf?

They make a good tea towel. :D
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    I really like the last shot, but also love the look of the pooch eying the hatchet!

I think he thought time was up for his jewels. rolleyes1.gif
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Brilliant shots, indeed! I love the atmosphere.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Beautiful Dog
    I think your dog is gorgeous but, I am not sure exactly what breed it is. It certainly looks like a type of spaniel.
    edited March 18, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    I think your dog is gorgeous but, I am not sure exactly what breed it is. It certainly looks like a type of spaniel.

Thanks :D He is a Cocker Spaniel, although there are several variations of those. He needs a trim, but we like him scruffy. iloveyou.gif
  • kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Wonderfull photos!

They really "pop"!

I love the one of the dog, great contrast between the dog and black cabin!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Very nice photos i am sorry for you friend
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 19, 2008
    Very nice photos i am sorry for you friend

Don't worry about him. He had a great life thumb.gif

My only regret is not fully appreciating the positive effect he had on my life while he was still with us. So, remembering him like this has is a positive thing for me and for my friend, and for the bothy (for which we leave provisions for subsequent visitors), my dog (who was absolutely in his element :D), and hopefully for the people we meet there through new friendships.