Use of a TC with a Nikon 80-400 VR lens

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited March 14, 2008 in Cameras
I am currently using a D200 and know that I can't use a TC with my 80-400mm lens. But as of Monday I will finally be in possession of a D3 and would like to know if I will be able to use a 1.7 TC with the D3/lens combination. I am hoping that the D3 will allow autofocus up to F8. Does anyone know?
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• billg71billg71 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    A Nikon TC won't work but you might be able to get results from a Tamron/Kenko 1.4. I seriously doubt you'd get AF with a 1.7 anytime except high noon on a clear day.

Bill
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    TC's are not recommended for the 80-400. Some 3rd party 1.4 TCs will work on it and AF but do you really want to slow down an already slow lens?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Thanks Bill and Harry,
    I was hoping that I would be able to do it. After spending the big bucks on the body I'm going to have to wait another year to spend the big bucks on a big piece of glass I guess. I guess that I will just have to rent one for my trip.
    www.Prideinphotography.com