Help Me Focus On a Lens

CG806CG806 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited March 20, 2008 in Cameras
Hi everyone,

It's nice to have found a forum with intelligent and helpful photogs to talk to. I have a question that's never been asked before:

What lens should I get? :D

I'm looking for a zoom lens for my Nikon D40x. Photography is a hobby for me, so I'm not able to spend as much as I dream about spending. In any case, I've spent several hours reading reviews and trying lenses at the local camera store. Based on my "hands on" experience, I've narrowed the list to two:

1. Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
2. Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Price is close enough to not be a factor. Focus seemed smoother with the Nikon, and it's IF. I read somewhere that the Tamron's AF can hunt a bit, but I never experienced any in my (limited) testing. I liked the extra zoom range on the Tamron. The macro feature is nice, but I'm not primarily interested in that.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with either lens they feel like sharing? I'm also open to completely different lens suggestions for similar focal lengths.

Thanks ahead of time. Let me have it!
Jonathan

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I would go with the Nikon. The Tamron has more reach but its IQ is reported to suffer whne you go past 200mm. This pretty much negates the extra reach advantage it has especially when you consider the Nikon lens has VR.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I agree, that Nikon has had very good reviews. Also, I think it's as lot more usable because of VR.
  • CG806CG806 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Just a quick update.

I went with the Nikon lens. It should be arriving today. :D
    Hopefully I'll have a nice day soon to get some first shots to post.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
    Jonathan

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas