Options

Question on Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO scanner

ribbon_cableribbon_cable Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited March 14, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I am noticing a horrizontal band when sometimes shows up with the 120 negatives I am currently scanning. The line does not stay in the same place so there is no dust on the sensor. I will try to include a photo of the problem, but I am new at this.

I am using this scanner with Mac G5 10.4.11. The scanning software is Epson Scan version 2.71A.

Any suggestions? Epson kind of blew me off on this.

265488024_kDUqi-L.png

4510092_mzUqP#265488024

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    I am noticing a horrizontal band when sometimes shows up with the 120 negatives I am currently scanning. The line does not stay in the same place so there is no dust on the sensor. I will try to include a photo of the problem, but I am new at this.4510092_mzUqP#265488024
    I believe the lines are on the slides themselves. They were either introduced when the slides were developed, or were on the original film itself.

I've seen it on some batches of my slides as well. Just get really good with cloning/patch tool.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    Hi Chris

In this case the line is not on the slide. I have scanned the same slide several times. The line will show up in different places, or sometimes not at all. So me this seems to be something with the driver, but like I said Epson has not been very helpful with this yet.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Wow. Is that awful CA on the slide itself or is the can giving you that?
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    In this case the line is not on the slide. I have scanned the same slide several times. The line will show up in different places, or sometimes not at all. So me this seems to be something with the driver, but like I said Epson has not been very helpful with this yet.

Ahh, very strange... do you get similar problems scanning reflective items at lower resolution? Or is it just high-res slides?
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Wow. Is that awful CA on the slide itself or is the can giving you that?

CatOne. These 120 slides were shot on a Diana. So yes the CA is due to the super high quality plasic lens :)
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Ahh, very strange... do you get similar problems scanning reflective items at lower resolution? Or is it just high-res slides?

ChrisJ. that is a great question. Lately all I have been scanning is the 120 negs. I will play a little more with reflective, low res scanning and see what I get.

Currently Epson has given me a procedure for an Intel Core Duo (I have a G5) for completely removing their software, then installing from scratch. At the moment I am reluctant to do this.