Options

Which more important-new monitor OR calibrator?

NikkiNikki Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 14, 2008 in Finishing School
Just wondering if it is worthwhile to buy a monitor calibrator or would it be better to buy a new monitor? I'm having colour management problems and probably can't afford both, so just wondering where my money would be best spent.

I have heard good things about the X-Rite Eye-one Display 2. But my monitor would be around 4 years old and is a CRT (LG Studioworks 710s).

Thanks
Nikki

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I'm going to vote for a calibrator. If you don't already have one and the monitor is only 4 years old, you may still be able to calibrate/profile it. The main requirement for calibration is whether it can reach a specified brightness level (which the calibrator can measure for you), no matter how old or new it is. If your monitor is still technically bright enough, a calibrator may solve your problem by itself.

The other reason I am voting for a calibrator is that you would want to profile a new monitor anyway, to get the most out of it, since factory settings are not usually ideal. Therefore, buying only a new monitor may not solve your problem, while buying only a calibrator might.

I use an older Eye-One.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    A colorimeter is a must. IF you have to replace your display however, let me recommend you look into the NEC SpectraView II series and get their bundled colorimeter and software. For an additional $200, you'll get an EyeOne Display-2 and the SpectraView software which drives the entire process with one button and does an amazingly good job. The 2490 or 2690 are excellent displays. Otherwise, keep the original display, get an EyeOne Display-2 Colorimeter.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/