How do you like your Nikon D40?

Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
edited March 18, 2008 in Cameras
Hello,

I am new to this Forum.
I have a Nikon D40 and was just wondering what you guys think about it. I have just started a new gallery, and would like to know what all of you guys think of them.

Mr. Quiet
If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Welcome! I don't have a D40, but I think it is a GREAT camera. I am sure you will be happy with it:D
    I liked the flower images in your gallery the most. Keep up the good work!
  • CG806CG806 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    I have the D40x, and I am loving it. It is quite a fun camera to me. My only wish would be that I have more time to play with it.
    Jonathan

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    I don't often use mine due to a self inflicted sensor issue (tried to clean it when I should have known better) but the plain old D40 is an excellent camera to use and a very nice way into the Nikon system for a first time DSLR owner. I'm actually thinking of getting a new body while they're going cheap. With the D60 coming out, there should be bargains to be had with both the D40 and the D40X....

168369475_DFJbG-L.jpg

Shot fully automatic, straight out of the camera with no PP.
  • JoyseekerJoyseeker Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2008
    i'm happy and not happy with my D40.

its takes great shots but then i wanted RAW files to practice Photoshop Elements with rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 16, 2008
    Joyseeker wrote:
    i'm happy and not happy with my D40.

its takes great shots but then i wanted RAW files to practice Photoshop Elements with rolleyes1.gif

So what is the problem? The D40 can shoot raw... or am I missing the point?
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Internaut wrote:
    I don't often use mine due to a self inflicted sensor issue (tried to clean it when I should have known better)

No idea what happened, but you do know that there is a protective piece of filter glass over the sensor? It is pretty hard to screw up a sensor, though it is possible to make a mess of the filter. Often, I see examples of the use of the wrong cleanser, and that can leave lots of residue.

Again, not knowing what happened, if it is residue, I strongly encourage you to give the Cooperhill method a try, and of course recommend their PecPad/Eclipse/Sensorswipe kit. Hey, its $30, what do you have to lose?
  • JoyseekerJoyseeker Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2008
    So what is the problem? The D40 can shoot raw... or am I missing the point?

images are so good hardly get practice with elements :ivar
    edited March 16, 2008
    Joyseeker wrote:
    images are so good hardly get practice with elements :ivar

Got it!:D
    edited March 16, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    No idea what happened, but you do know that there is a protective piece of filter glass over the sensor? It is pretty hard to screw up a sensor, though it is possible to make a mess of the filter. Often, I see examples of the use of the wrong cleanser, and that can leave lots of residue.

Again, not knowing what happened, if it is residue, I strongly encourage you to give the Cooperhill method a try, and of course recommend their PecPad/Eclipse/Sensorswipe kit. Hey, its $30, what do you have to lose?

Well let's have a look at the catalogue of idiocy....

1. Saw a spec of something.

2. Attempted to blow it off, with the brush attachment still on the blower, leading to massive additional contamination (is that Dennis Leary song going through your head yet)?

3. Attempted to clean it using one of the wet methods (Green Clean, I think) and this did a good job but there was still stuff that I couldn't move plus an odd looking smear on my photos (how about now)?

4. Took it to the place I bought it from. They were nice and sent it off for a clean. The results were good but there is still a sort of smear that won't budge. I suspect this is damage of some sort.

When I get the time, I'm going to call Nikon direct and see about getting that filter or whatever replaced.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Internaut wrote:
    Well let's have a look at the catalogue of idiocy....

1. Saw a spec of something.

2. Attempted to blow it off, with the brush attachment still on the blower, leading to massive additional contamination (is that Dennis Leary song going through your head yet)?

3. Attempted to clean it using one of the wet methods (Green Clean, I think) and this did a good job but there was still stuff that I couldn't move plus an odd looking smear on my photos (how about now)?

4. Took it to the place I bought it from. They were nice and sent it off for a clean. The results were good but there is still a sort of smear that won't budge. I suspect this is damage of some sort.

When I get the time, I'm going to call Nikon direct and see about getting that filter or whatever replaced.

Honestly, try the Copperhill, it is simple, the Eclipse is the stuff that really works where nothing else seems to. Sending to Nikon will likely get you a good, proper cleaning, so that works too
  • ProAc_FanProAc_Fan Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2008
    The D40 is fantastic. I bought one for my wife even though she begged for a Canon. She was more than thrilled with the Nikon D40 when she saw the crisp colorful JPEGs it spits straight out of the camera. I'd never tell her but I find myself leaving my D200 behind and grabbing the D40 when speed doesn't really matter or it's just for snapshots. The D40 has to be the DSLR bargain of the century.

Mike
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Welcome! I don't have a D40, but I think it is a GREAT camera. I am sure you will be happy with it:D
    I liked the flower images in your gallery the most. Keep up the good work!

My camera lens does not have a filter over it. What kind of filter should I get?

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 17, 2008
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    My camera lens does not have a filter over it. What kind of filter should I get?

That partly depends upon which lens you use and what sort of filtration you need. If you are looking to protect the lens, a good quality coated B+W filter should be fine.

See the discussion here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36841
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I'm quite happy with the D40. I love the fact that you can use old manual focus lenses on it (especailly pre-AI lenses). clap.gif . It's a very easy camera to use and takes really great photos.///. It is missing some features that i wanted, but its not a biggy.

I did get a used D70s to get CLS off-camera flash to work and the D70s also has exposure bracketing.

All-in-all, a great camera and i will keep it until the shutter craps out !
    edited March 17, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Honestly, try the Copperhill, it is simple, the Eclipse is the stuff that really works where nothing else seems to. Sending to Nikon will likely get you a good, proper cleaning, so that works too

Thanks. I'll certainly give the Copperhill method a try before sending the camera in.
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Hello,

I am new to this Forum.

I have a Nikon D40 and was just wondering what you guys think about it. I have just started a new gallery, and would like to know what all of you guys think of them.

Mr. Quiet
    I just "temporarily" replaced a broken d70 with a d40 with the intention of giving my wife the d40 when the d70 comes back home...now I don't know what to do because I LOVE the d40!!! For whatever reason I find it much easier to take what I consider a good photograph with the d40. Probably will sell the d70 (although it is built like a tank, which I like) along with one of my smaller children :D and get a d300, but I'm keeping the 40 for sure! $500 for it and a great kit lens, 110 or so for a 50mm 1.8, about the same for the SB-400 and I'm very pleased!
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    That partly depends upon which lens you use and what sort of filtration you need. If you are looking to protect the lens, a good quality coated B+W filter should be fine.

See the discussion here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36841

I have the Nikon DX AF-SNIKKOR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED. Or just the original lens.

Aaron C

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson