Options

Neelley and John - my engagement shoot today (7 images)

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited March 18, 2008 in Weddings
I've been looking forward to this shoot for quite a while. After emailing back and forth with Neelley, she and John just sounded like so much fun! We had a 3 hour shoot :huh and after getting up at 4 am with kids, I wasn't sure how well it would turn out...

But we had a blast in spite of the huge snow storm! I also tried some different things for me so I'd love to get some feedback on these!

(NOTS: I am on an uncalibrated monitor so if the color is off, please let me know - but I can't fix it until I calibrate. :D )

Thanks for looking...

This looks like it might be a *tad* soft on his face here, but I don't believe it is.
1. 265743684_vrpzq-M.jpg

2. 265744719_5MdNs-M.jpg

They truly were a really fun couple! No coaching from me here....
3. 265744081_M9ntV-M.jpg

4. 265743901_u8ZF2-M.jpg

5. 265743990_cri84-M.jpg

I need to burn in the ring a bit more here, but don't have PS on this machine yet. But I was glad to see this turn out as I had planned! (Whether it's good is debatable. LOL!)
6. 265744616_8tgKf-M.jpg

And finally, I'm not 100% sure on this one. I had some serious focus issues with the snow... But I kind of liked how the snow was in focus and they were sort of hazy. But it could be the lack of sleep! Thoughts?
7. 265743389_kH5VT-M.jpg

Thanks so much for looking! And as always, C&C is always welcome!

More here: http://tippiepics.smugmug.com/gallery/4514066_C4WYH (I still have to cull through the rest, but these are the ones that jumped out at me.)

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Holy Canolli !!!
    These are absolutely stunning....all of them.

I have always wanted to shoot in the rain, but I think this snow certainly trumps rain. Just beautiful Andi....bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Just to be honest, when I opened the post, that first shot took my breath away. Honestly. Great emotion.thumb.gif

After looking at the rest, my picks are the first and last, but they are each one just incredible.

THANKS for sharing.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    They just look soooo happy. And you captured them wonderfully. clap.gif

That first is just amazing. His grin is so pure. I also loved the image with the clasped hands. Did you use a sort of direct positive processing here? I like it. thumb.gif Can't decide if I feel the hands are too red or not, though. I kind of sway back and forth there.

Amazing job working with the snow. Thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    These are absolutely stunning....all of them.

I have always wanted to shoot in the rain, but I think this snow certainly trumps rain. Just beautiful Andi....bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Just to be honest, when I opened the post, that first shot took my breath away. Honestly. Great emotion.thumb.gif

After looking at the rest, my picks are the first and last, but they are each one just incredible.

THANKS for sharing.
    Wow! Thanks so much, Jeffreaux! I really appreciate your comments.... I was really lucky to have such an in love couple - they were so cute together and they made it easy!

Thanks again!

They just look soooo happy. And you captured them wonderfully.
    That first is just amazing. His grin is so pure. I also loved the image with the clasped hands. Did you use a sort of direct positive processing here? I like it. Can't decide if I feel the hands are too red or not, though. I kind of sway back and forth there.

Amazing job working with the snow. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you! The photo with the hands is a LR cross process. My monitor isn't calibrated and they look pink, but not red. I'll have to calibrate for sure now to make sure they aren't TOO far weirded out! Laughing.gif!

Thanks again! I appreciate your nice words.
  • Options
    a-baird-photographa-baird-photograph Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    2, 6, and 7 struck me the strongest. There's something romantic about them with the snow. Incredible all way round.
    Body: Canon XTi
    Glass: 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6
  • Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Last Shot.........
    They are all fantastic! Emotions captured so very well. I especially love the last one. It has a very romantic feel, as if you've captured them saying something very special to each other. Great series, thanks for sharing! :D
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    thery are all winners, great skill great eye
    #2 is my favorite
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Great series of photos!

I have shot in the rain before and it is hard when the rain runs down your lens ect. I think you did a lovely job shooting in the snow and they will love what you captured.
    What lens did you use?

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Splendid......absolutely splendid. You've captured the mood....and did it with variety and style. Great for you Andi!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I really love how you captured that beautiful snowflake in #6!
    Oh it was about the ring?
    mwink.gif

2,6, and 7.
    3 is nice but I would prefer to have him dump her in the snow and see the following reaction shots! :D Sorry feeling mischievous this morning. Last snow here, I ran outside made a snowball and tossed it at my wife as she was sitting in her car. lol3.gif Then when she got out, I happened to accidentally tackle her into a mound. Surprisingly I did not smash the cake in her face for the wedding.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2008
    2, 6, and 7 struck me the strongest. There's something romantic about them with the snow. Incredible all way round.
    Thank you so much! The snow was HARD to deal with (focus, mainly, and snow on the camera), but it was fun to see the results! Thanks so much - and nice to hear about #7....
    They are all fantastic! Emotions captured so very well. I especially love the last one. It has a very romantic feel, as if you've captured them saying something very special to each other. Great series, thanks for sharing!
    Thank you, nightspidy! I really appreciate your feedback! And I'm glad to hear that I wasn't so tired that #7 turned out to be a silly choice! Thanks again... :D
    thery are all winners, great skill great eye
    #2 is my favorite

Beetle8, thank you! It's also fun to have different people picking different favorites. Thanks!!
    Great series of photos!

I have shot in the rain before and it is hard when the rain runs down your lens ect. I think you did a lovely job shooting in the snow and they will love what you captured.
    What lens did you use?

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    Thank you, Chuck. The photos were taken with a variety of lenses.... For 2,3,4,5,7 I was using my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and I was standing under and awning for the ones in town - that made dealing with the snow a LOT easier! I could just shoot and cross my fingers that they would focus. In hindsight, I should have sent them out, focused and set it on manual and just shot. Doh! But it still worked out and I wouldn't have had #7 if I'd done that.

Thanks again!
    Splendid......absolutely splendid. You've captured the mood....and did it with variety and style. Great for you Andi!
    Thank you so much, Swartzy! Having 3 hours really made it easy to get the variety - and I have more that aren't even similar in my gallery and even more I haven't edited. But I think I'm going to have to charge more if I want to keep that variety up! Laughing.gif! Unless they order a lot, I won't be making much on this shoot. ;)

Thanks!
    I really love how you captured that beautiful snowflake in #6!
    Oh it was about the ring?

2,6, and 7.
    3 is nice but I would prefer to have him dump her in the snow and see the following reaction shots! Sorry feeling mischievous this morning. Last snow here, I ran outside made a snowball and tossed it at my wife as she was sitting in her car. Then when she got out, I happened to accidentally tackle her into a mound. Surprisingly I did not smash the cake in her face for the wedding.
    Laughing.gif! Actually, after reading your post, I'm sort of surprised we didn't get a snowball fight at the end! I think if we hadn't been rushed in the last 10 minutes (the ring shot and the piggy back shots were in a different location and i had to leave after we got those few), I think they would have! Laughing.gif! I should have thought of it.

But they were so fun and I bet they would have tumbled in the snow for grins if the inkling of an idea was shot at them! :D

Thanks again for your comments - and telling me your picks!
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    These are really nice captures. I really like the emotions that were brought out. I actually felt their love for each other through your photos. Great Job!

I can tell they will have a great life together....you can see it in the pictures. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2008
    wildviper wrote:
    These are really nice captures. I really like the emotions that were brought out. I actually felt their love for each other through your photos. Great Job!

I can tell they will have a great life together....you can see it in the pictures. :)
    They were such a cute couple - and I'm so happy that I was able to capture their love! It was so obvious in person!

Thanks so much for your comments!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Wow Andi!! Those are BEAUTIFUL!! Can't even pick a favourite. They're all stunning.

I the last time I shot an engagement couple was last January. Not only was I sick that day anyway, and made it barely out of bed, .... it was windy ... my fingers froze after 2 minutes :tough... and my couple was like a block of ice shortly after. That was my last outdoors winter shoot. But man .... your photos ... I envy your skills!
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    These are great!!! I love the snow. My favorite is the ring shot. It will look fantastic, once you burn it in.
  • Options
    CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Awesome series...
    W-o-w...first off, great shots all around.

I really wanted to comment on #6 though...WOW!! It kept drawing my eye back in. My monitor isn't calibrated either, and on mine, it looks a little blown out, but STILL!!! Amazing!!! I was thinking to myself if I would rather have the whole thing in focus, but even with thier faces outside the DOF it's stunning to me. There's just something about the composition that I really love. Great work!!!thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    These are really cool! Great that you went out and braved the weather, I think the snow makes for a really unique and special session. I like 1 and 7 the best.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Wow Andi!! Those are BEAUTIFUL!! Can't even pick a favourite. They're all stunning.

I the last time I shot an engagement couple was last January. Not only was I sick that day anyway, and made it barely out of bed, .... it was windy ... my fingers froze after 2 minutes :tough... and my couple was like a block of ice shortly after. That was my last outdoors winter shoot. But man .... your photos ... I envy your skills!
    Heh! I've had shoots that were that cold! The other day wasn't too bad - and it's really dry here, which helps a lot!

Thank you so much for your comments!

These are great!!! I love the snow. My favorite is the ring shot. It will look fantastic, once you burn it in.

Thank you, David! Yeah, a major priority for me this week (after my shoot on Monday) is to get my iMac all set up and get PS moved over! I *need* it! Laughing.gif!

Thank you so much!
    W-o-w...first off, great shots all around.

I really wanted to comment on #6 though...WOW!! It kept drawing my eye back in. My monitor isn't calibrated either, and on mine, it looks a little blown out, but STILL!!! Amazing!!! I was thinking to myself if I would rather have the whole thing in focus, but even with thier faces outside the DOF it's stunning to me. There's just something about the composition that I really love. Great work!!!
    Thank you, CTUPhoto! I actually have several other shots like #6 that have their faces in focus, the ring out of focus (none with both) and I liked them, too.... She just had SUCH a gorgeous ring that I really wanted to highlight it in a shot or two. It was fun having a photo turn out like I imagined a few days before. (I dont' do a lot of setup.)

Thank you very much!!!
    These are really cool! Great that you went out and braved the weather, I think the snow makes for a really unique and special session. I like 1 and 7 the best.
    Being from Tennessee, they were truly braving the weather! Laughing.gif! They were so great about it.

While the snow was definitely hard, it was fun to see the results. Thank you!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    These are just spectacular! No words can do them justice. Engagement shoots can be so much fun, a real opportune time to be creative and you certainly made the best of this one!

I just love the element of the snow, they look so happy and carefree. You did so well with the exposure and focus considering the challenge...I can't even imagine!

Careful, these engagement photos just might upstage their wedding photos....mwink.gif (just sayin.)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    harrylewharrylew Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Such passion in the snow!
    Love all of these, but I'm especially fond of #s 1, 3, and 6.

I do think his face in #1 is a bit soft. But the feeling in the shot is so strong, the softness doesn't matter.

You're right . . . they did make your job easier. But you had the skills to capitalize on the opportunity. Congrats!

Harry Lew
    Harry
    "Too many lenses, not enough time."
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Amazing shots in the snow, Andi! I hope you weren't outside for all 3 hours!!??!! Looks like tough conditions and you still managed to capture emotional and beautiful moments. Really fantastic! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    These are just spectacular! No words can do them justice. Engagement shoots can be so much fun, a real opportune time to be creative and you certainly made the best of this one!

I just love the element of the snow, they look so happy and carefree. You did so well with the exposure and focus considering the challenge...I can't even imagine!

Careful, these engagement photos just might upstage their wedding photos....mwink.gif (just sayin.)
    Wow! Lynne, thank you SO much for such... overwhelming words! You're so sweet.... I've seen the photographer for their wedding and I'm quite impressed.... I seriously doubt that will happen! Laughing.gif!

Thanks so much. It was a really fun shoot - they were really easy and fun to work with - and I think that makes a HUGE difference!

Thank you!! iloveyou.gif
    Love all of these, but I'm especially fond of #s 1, 3, and 6.

I do think his face in #1 is a bit soft. But the feeling in the shot is so strong, the softness doesn't matter.

You're right . . . they did make your job easier. But you had the skills to capitalize on the opportunity. Congrats!

Harry Lew
    Harry, thank you! I feel like a broken record (in a good way! Laughing.gif!), but I really do appreciate your kind words! :D Thank you!
    Amazing shots in the snow, Andi! I hope you weren't outside for all 3 hours!!??!! Looks like tough conditions and you still managed to capture emotional and beautiful moments. Really fantastic!
    Thanks, Elaine! We were outside for about 1.5 hours total - something like that. Part of it was at the coffee shop where we met and the other at the house they were staying in. (You can see shots from those in the gallery.)

But aside from focus and worrying about the snow getting on the lens/camera, the weather wasn't too bad. It was actually relatively warm (in my mind compared to what I've dealt with recently! Laughing.gif!) so that wasn't the issue.

Thanks again, Elaine!
  • Options
    tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    what a COOL set of shots... they look like they were a lot of fun!
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    tonichelle wrote:
    what a COOL set of shots... they look like they were a lot of fun!
    Thank you so much, Tonichelle! It was a lot of fun....
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Stunning work. The snow just makes this entire session incredible. Truly an otherworldly session with very complimentary PP.

Well done!!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Stunning work. The snow just makes this entire session incredible. Truly an otherworldly session with very complimentary PP.

Well done!!bowdown.gif
    *blush*

Thank you so much, Mitchell!