My daughter's first time behind the glass...

DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
edited January 8, 2009 in People
I'm absolutely beside myself right now. I took my daughter out to teach her how a camera works and let her take some pictures with this old 3.2MP Sony point and shoot. She picked it up fantastically fast, faster than I would have thought. I suppose I simply haven't quick grokked just how precocious she has become in her 5 little years on this earth.

So we went over zoom, focus, and framing. She knows how the two-stage shutter release works and how the T/W on the Sony and the zoom ring on my 70-200 work.

I even let her take a pic with my 5D(though, I of course held the camera up since it's about 1/4 her weight)

Here are my shots of her(one of which taken with the Sony for obvious reasons). You can see her set here.

265771205_wWcYy-L-1.jpg265771432_y2D4V-L-1.jpg

265771531_zanhK-L-1.jpg265771841_KcUYt-L-1.jpg

265771680_n6D84-L-1.jpg

265772037_5GLJS-L-1.jpg

265755571_DL4hk-L.jpg
Modus Imagery
Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    OMG! How adorable is she?!? How old is she? She looks like she's having a great time!

What fun shots!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Woah, that one of her in profile is just stunning. Her expression of concentration and your DOF just make it so poignant for me. thumb.gif (And I'm not a fan of kid shots, so you even got this cold-hearted spinster to feel something with that one. :giggle)
  • museratomuserato Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Number 4 is awesome. Number 5 is a winner for me. thumb.gif
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    OMG! How adorable is she?!? How old is she? She looks like she's having a great time!

What fun shots!

She'll be 5 next month. You can just see the risk of photographic addiction in her eyes. I'm going to be out 20k in gear by the time she's 10 just for her. I'm not going to push her into anything, but if she has an interest in this I will only afford her every opportunity to grow as she desires. I want her to do what she wants for the right reasons, not because me or her mother think she should. Other than the usual, succeed in school, don't do drugs, boys are icky.... lol
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    That is soo cool! Well done in bringing another one into the photography fold! :D

side note: I think we have the same Rayban eye glasses...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • shadowdreamershadowdreamer Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    She is absolutely adorable.:ivar
    edited March 17, 2008
    Thank you all for your kind words. :) I wonder what the future will hold. Getting started at such a young age could really set her ahead of the pack if this is what she wants to do with her life. But what am I yammering about? She's 5! She could want to be a police officer, fireman, president, doctor and a myriad of other things before she turns 6. haha.
    Modus Imagery
    edited March 17, 2008
    don't forget Astronaut, pirate, veternarian! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Hi thanks for sharing, for her age her photos are great..... its good and very interesting to see photos taken from someone of her age and also height to see what catches their eye.... and she did a really great job. clap.gif
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    edited March 17, 2008
    don't forget Astronaut, pirate, veternarian! rolleyes1.gif

hahahaha, yeah, pirates rule!!!
    Modus Imagery
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Awesome... why'd you wait so long? mwink.gif I gave my old Sony to my 2-year-old several months ago. He's not really into shooting yet, but he can successfully take out and put back the battery and memory stick!

Looks like 4.5-5 is a much better age for actually shooting. She's adorable.
    Chris
  • thejohnremusthejohnremus Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    adorable little girl

I think the second one is my favorite
  • jrkyjrky Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    That's so cool! she's very very cute, and holding that 5D is just adorable. i let my son take pictures with my point and shoot too. he is 2 1/2 years old. he just likes to hit the button and see a preview of what he took in the LCD. then when it's gone he'll push the button again.

She's on the road to photography!
    edited March 18, 2008
    Thanks all. I'm going to let her shoot again soon and see what she comes up with. I'll take her into the studio and let her shoot her stuffed animals or something. :)
    Modus Imagery
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Fantastic! My favorites are first, fourth and fifth.

Now where are the pictures she took? :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited March 18, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Fantastic! My favorites are first, fourth and fifth.

Now where are the pictures she took? :D

Link in the first post. :P
    Modus Imagery
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Link in the first post. :P

I'm calling blindness to the obvious! rolleyes1.gif

She's got a couple of pretty good photos there. Not bad at all for the first go at taking photos. I like the one with her shoe and the grass, how many times have you seen that angle from us grown-ups? :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • J PerezJ Perez Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Thanks all. I'm going to let her shoot again soon and see what she comes up with. I'll take her into the studio and let her shoot her stuffed animals or something. :)

Joe, what about taking her down to the DC zoo?
    edited March 18, 2008
    J Perez wrote:
    Joe, what about taking her down to the DC zoo?

Jeff! I'm so glad you made it!

that sounds like an awesome idea, I'm not sure how up for walking around she'd be, I'd have to get a wagon, and arm her with mem cards like crazy(she burned through the 128mb mem stick in no time. lol)
    Modus Imagery
    edited March 18, 2008
    In a month the cherry blossoms will be blooming. mwink.gif So you should start packing the memcards now!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    It seems like she loves taking photos of cars. 3/4 of her pictures were them lol. Some of those could pass as pro photos mwink.gif.

You're better than me, it took me 8 years to teach my parents how to do the half shutter release thing. I was like 9 when I started teaching them and they were.. oh like 39'ish. Shouldn't they be teaching me photography? lol.

If your daughter does continue the life of photography, she will be very good in no time at all. You might as well start a "camera" fund, instead of a college fund.
    Jer
  • lahefelahefe Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 8, 2009
    she's just adorable, I love your fifth shot too. We got a waterproof/shockproof p&s so our daughter (just turned 3) could take some photos without stressing us out too much and she loves the thing, we have hundreds of photos of her feet :)