Havana cityscapes

MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited March 29, 2008 in Landscapes
Here are a few more in my Havana street scene series.

265381013_89PDf-L.jpg

265381728_snQCM-L.jpg

265384031_oyTEV-L.jpg

265380076_9dX4g-L.jpg

Comments

• DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    That must have been a beautiful city at one time. Thirties perhaps? I love #1, it shows the decay but also what it once was.

Mike
    Looking for adventure in all the wrong places!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    These are all very interesting shots with captivating subjects, it's sad to see all that decay in an obviously once beautiful location, but you did a very good job in capturing it, and there's some nice juxtapositions in there as well.

It seems to me (on my crappy monitor which shouldn't really be trusted) that these are a tad overexposed, though some of that is likely due to the time of day they were taken.

Good stuff :D
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    #1 is a very interesting composition and I like the treatment/development/saturation/sharpness you've given it.
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Interesting shots from a world that most of us will never see. Thanks for posting.

Dale
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Really like the use of the solitary personthumb.gif works well with the sad mood of the architecture:cry
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Tells quite a story. I like the first two. Even among the not so pretty surroundings I like the colors.

~Eia~
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    They're really nice, I like the decay, I think it has its own beauty and makes for much more interesting shots. I like the textures and muted faded colours, it's a location I'd love to visit.

Charlie
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Love them all clap.gif. I would love to get to Cuba sometime in my life, but its a pain to travel there living in the US. Maybe when they go democratic rolleyes1.gif I'll be able to fly out of Newark instead of having to go to Canada and then to Cuba.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Is there some sort of restriction on US citizens travelling to Cuba?

Charlie
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Is there some sort of restriction on US citizens travelling to Cuba?

Charlie
    I might be getting it wrong, but I was always under the impression that US citizens could not travel from the US to any communist, terrorist, or any other nation that the USA deems unfit for their citizens to travel to ie. Iraq. I don't think that it is "illegal" to go to cuba if you are a US citizen, but due to the trade embargo, you can't spend US money there (so they make it real difficult).
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Thanks all for the replies.

As far as I know there is a $7500 fine for US citizens to go to Cuba without permission and it is really hard to get permission now.
    Luckily, I'm from Canada. :D
    In case you want to skirt the law, Cuba actually does not stamp anyone's passport. There is no need to worry about that. It is quite safe there and they don't hate Americans (at least that is what they told me) but they don't like Bush at all.

I love to go there because the decay is just beautiful and the people are quite friendly. The poverty wears on me tho.
    For selfish reasons, I half hope that Cuba never opens up to Americans. You guys will drive up the price! mwink.gif

Monica