Hide the Breadcrumb option

stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited March 15, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Option to hide the 'breadcrumb'? This is the answer.

We all know that Sharegroups are flawed in that people (naturally) start clicking the breadcrumb and get stuck.

We all know that Sharegroups are flawed in that you cant add new galleries and see them automatically drop into your existing Sharegroups (you need to carry out the additional step of adding them manually).

We all know that users get terribly confused between site-wide password, gallery password, unlisted galleries, sharegroups etc.

I think the solution is very simple. HIDE THE BREADCRUMB.

Then I can give my sister the url to my 'Family' pics and she will not be able to try to click back up the tree.
I can give a Client the url to my 'Project 1' and that is all they will get.
I can give friends the url to 'Fishing' pics and that is all they will get.

The beauty is that when new galleries are added to say 'Family' then they are visible straight away (no need to manually 'add' them to a Sharegroup as currently).

I can still set up Sharegroups for more specific needs, but because the breadcrumb is hidden then the person browing the sharegroup cant get 'lost'.

Surely this is easy to implement?

EDIT : A more elegant variation would be to just hide the breadcrumb tree ABOVE the starting point ie. only show the current position and the stuff below.
MYSITE>Family>Holiday Pics would display as Family>Holiday Pics
MYSITE>Client 1>Confidential Pics would display as Client 1>Confidential Pics

In that way, each user of your site cannot browse back up the tree. No need for passworded galleries.
Seems too easy to be true.

Comments

• stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    so if I upgrade to Power User I can do the CSS thing and maybe hide the breadcrumb?
    I need to go check whether I can do this as a site-wide option or if I need to cut pase CSS code for every new gallery.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    so if I upgrade to Power User I can do the CSS thing and maybe hide the breadcrumb?
    I need to go check whether I can do this as a site-wide option or if I need to cut pase CSS code for every new gallery.
    sure, you can hide breadcrumb on a power user or pro account, no problem thumb.gif

You can do it site-wide, specific to a gallery or category, it's up to you.

I've taken out the breadcrumb sitewide, have a look.

Let us know if you have any questions!
  • stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    Thanks Ivar. that looks pretty good actually! I am impressed.

I just want to have a 'Family' category . . . gve my sister the link to it . . . . not distract her with breadcrumb links that take her no-where . . and . . most importantly . . be able to add new galeries into my Family category without having to manually 'hide' them, 'password' them, add them to a 'Sharegroup' or do any other kind of tweaking. I should just be able to drop new galleries into my Family Category and have them visible only to my family. Why does this seem so hard?