Options

GPS encoding, Raw files, Lightroom & Exporting..

danbrewdanbrew Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited March 16, 2008 in Finishing School
I want to scream.

I've goofed around with geo-encoding for a while, mostly using utilities like RoboGEO and a few others that sync a track log and jpg photos based upon a time stamp.

Thinking I would improve my workflow a bit, I decided to get one of those small GPS receivers that marry up to the 10-pin port on my D300. I am successfully able to encode photos using the Dawn Technologies N2-diGPS. It's a pretty clever device.

Lightroom correctly identifies the fact that the raw file is encoded with geo images, and if you click on the link in Lightroom, it takes you to Google Maps:

266019812_z7ExF-M-0.jpg

Works really well.

What doesn't work well, though, is that Lightroom doesn't seem to export GPS data when exporting JPGs. Damn. I typically use LR to rank my photos and select a subset that I'll upload to Smugmug. I'll either use the Send to Smugmug application or the plug in for LR to get the data to Smugmug - but it doesn't seem as if the JPGs have geo data when they get to Smugmug. Hmmm. How come? I've found a few references that says Lightroom doesn't support GPS exif data, but that doesn't seem to make much sense since LR sees the geo data within the LR application.

Hmmm. Driving me crazy. Not sure if this is a Lightroom or Smugmug issue. I have successfully uploaded geo enabled photos to Smugmug before and know that my Google API key works correctly. This makes me want to lean towards it not being a Smugmug issue.

My starting point will be a NEF with geo data encoded - I'll tweak a bit in Lightroom and will then export jpgs to Smugmug. Any pointers would really be appreciated.

thanks,

danbrew

danbrew@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    I know this will not help your workflow...but it may be an instance where you have to goto PS before uploading..and this should not be...the ability of the higher nikons to record gps data was one of my reason to swich to the Nikon camp from KM (sony now of course)...but never had heard of any probs like this and I am glad to hear of it learn of the solutions....also may need to contact adobe for answers...it could be a bugg that hasn't been brought to their attention.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    Doh! Figured it out. Galleries in Smugmug have to be public for the Google API to work. Although I was almost certain that Lightroom was not exporting JPGs with geo data, it appears that I was mistaken...

The Smugmug Gallery: http://danbrew.smugmug.com/gallery/4523627_rZfE7/1/266363209_sFmX9

The Smugmug Gallery mapped: http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=4523627_rZfE7

Cool, huh?

Process was pretty straightforward:

1. Connect Dawn Technology N2-diGPS to D300.
    2. Take a bunch of pictures.
    3. Import NEFs into lightroom. Putz around in lightroom with image control, etc.
    4. Export images as JPG.
    5. Send to Smugmug.
    6. Open Smugmug and say "Map this".

Nice.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    danbrew wrote:
    Doh! Figured it out. Galleries in Smugmug have to be public for the Google API to work. Although I was almost certain that Lightroom was not exporting JPGs with geo data, it appears that I was mistaken...

The Smugmug Gallery: http://danbrew.smugmug.com/gallery/4523627_rZfE7/1/266363209_sFmX9

The Smugmug Gallery mapped: http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=4523627_rZfE7

Cool, huh?

Process was pretty straightforward:

1. Connect Dawn Technology N2-diGPS to D300.
    2. Take a bunch of pictures.
    3. Import NEFs into lightroom. Putz around in lightroom with image control, etc.
    4. Export images as JPG.
    5. Send to Smugmug.
    6. Open Smugmug and say "Map this".

Nice.

Great thanks for sharing the results........

Who makes the DT N2-diGPS.....I just GOOGLED { Dawn Technology N2-diGPS } it and I get 1 and only 1 entry......this threadrolleyes1.gif ......it is a real GPS unit right?
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Great thanks for sharing the results........

Who makes the DT N2-diGPS.....I just GOOGLED { Dawn Technology N2-diGPS } it and I get 1 and only 1 entry......this threadrolleyes1.gif ......it is a real GPS unit right?

Yes, it's real and it's real good. I don't know who was first with this tiny kind of form factor with the integration with the remote terminal, but you'll find a handful of references to the N2 on the web. Here's where I learned about it:

http://www.terrywhite.com/techblog/?p=406

And the Dawn Technology website: http://www.dawntech.hk/di-GPS/n2.htm

Solmeta, another firm in HK or China, not sure which, also offers a unit along these lines. I've done a lot of reading up on these sub GPS units (a term I just made up - sounds good though...!) and all are not created equal. The chipset makes all the difference in the world and folks say that you want the SiRF Star III chipset. It looks as if Dawn Tech and Solmeta both use this chipset, although my earlier readings seemed to indicate that the Solmeta did not - perhaps they have upgraded the spec?

I'm sure it won't be too long before a GPS is included onboard the DSLRs - but for now, the N2 rocks. Once I figured it out. I'm a passionate traveler and really groove to the idea of geo encoding my images. The display methodologies are a bit different - Smugmug uses Google Earth and I like the way they put it together. Flickr is a bit different, and then you can also integrate into Google Earth. I'm sure we'll see some very creative applications of the geo data as geo encoding becomes more mainstream.

:)
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    Thanks for the spedy reply...I just found it funy that all I got was this thread.....I too like to geo encode my landscapes and wildlife shots so if I want to reshoot I can plus it cool to see places you've been on google maps...