Options

First Attempt at Selective Colorization

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited March 17, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Thought the colors in this flower lent themselves to this kind of treatment. I'm not sure whether to colorize both flowers or leave it at the one. What do you think?
C&C much appreciated.

Original image
266148227_VYhHM-XL.jpg

BW Conversion
266147738_hcJ4n-XL.jpg

Final image
266125640_nhNC4-XL.jpg

Final image edited to remove the OOF leaf
266324711_ByZ4h-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Two things, just wondering why you only coloured one of the flowers and secondly, in the final picture, the out of focus leave half way down on the right, would look better in black and white (or is it coloured because it seem to be touching the coloured area of the flower??).

A very nice set though

Tim
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Hi Tim
    Thanks for looking. Selective colorizing is a post process technique in which the original image is converted to B&W and then the color is restored to a small portion of the image. The theory is that a small bit of color will draw the viewer's eye.
    I should have removed the offending leaf. It does not look good in either B&W or color. I have edited the original post, removing the leaf.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I should have removed the offending leaf. It does not look good in either B&W or color. I have edited the original post, removing the leaf.

-Good call to remove the leaf...I'd like to see it with only the top flower in color, and I'm having a tough time deciding whether it works with the selective colorization or not...the all-color version is brilliantly bright, and my eye flows throughout the piece anyway...I'm not sure if you really need to draw in my eye with the selective color.

-DK

www.dank-photo.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Look better with out the leaf

The selective colouring works to a point but the problem is your eyes (well mine at least) are drawn from the coloured flower to the b\w flower and you wonder why is it still in black and white??

Tim
  • Options
    dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    your eyes (well mine at least) are drawn from the coloured flower to the b\w flower and you wonder why is it still in black and white??

Tim[/QUOTE]

I agree....I'd like to see it with both flowers colored w/ a b/w background.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    I really do not think the selective coloring works well here. Either all color, all B&W, or try a different crop to angle for shooting.

I find the background wall also a bit distracting here, too. The colorful flowers are excellent, though. thumb.gif

As an aside - the cloning needs to be cleaned up. mwink.gif
  • Options
    RNDRNDRNDRND Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Selective color is an interesting technique. You did a good job wth the second flower. However, as a final picture, I prefer both flowers in color.
    RND