First Attempts

TomdTomd Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 17, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi!

I've only had my EOS 400D for a couple of weeks so I'm still trying to get to grips with it. I'm still waiting on photoshop so these are straight from the camera. All shot using the kit lens.

Here's a few of my first attempts from a weekend away last week, C&C welcome but go easy as I'm a complete beginner when it comes to photography.

2317746053_d7168e5cc9.jpg?v=0

2316646903_b9a2dabbfc.jpg?v=0

2316688669_e895a4e104.jpg?v=0

2317524046_1ae2120141.jpg?v=0
Yep, I know its not level :giggle

2317465618_e510ab540a.jpg?v=0

Got a few filters on the way and a copy of PS to play with so I'll be able to do a bit of 'tweaking' etc to get them looking a bit better.

Thanks for looking, I've been reading a lot of usefull info on here which I'm sure will help me 'get my eye in' sooner or later!.

T

Comments

• summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Welcome
    Very nice, I like the shadows effects.thumb.gif And the use of light.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Hi Tom, welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

This is a great set, especially if you say you're a raw beginner? Great sharpness and I think you have a good eye. I think it is obvious that you have the hang of your camera, which is the most important thing. thumb.gif

Really the only thing that I would nitpick about over these shots is how centered everything is. You clearly know how to make the images appealing to the eye in terms of lines and shapes, but putting the subject plunk in the center of the frame makes it much less powerful/interesting to the viewer.

A wonderful start! Good luck learning on PS and of course if you have questions and need feedback feel free to chime in on the forum! :D
  • TomdTomd Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. My ND filter turned up this morning so I decided to give it a go. Light was a bit flat but I'm pretty happy with this one..

2340028629_0db87dedc5.jpg?v=0

And this one

2340902248_d181d015a1.jpg?v=0

I couldnt quite get the angle I wanted due to the river being really high following all the rain we've had lately....I didnt want to get wet! :D

Thanks

Tom
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    You're getting better photos than I did a few weeks after I got my DSLR! (Granted, it was my first camera, but still!)

As for the composition stuff that shmoo referenced, in general, I agree, center compositions don't usually work, but that doesn't mean they should always be avoided (what an awful sentence, too many negatives, but you hopefully get my point).

In the first photo, I think it does work, and I also think it would work in the third photo if it was cropped to a vertical orientation. For shots that have reflections, I often prefer the horizon to be centered as it gives the photo more balance, and I also like some centered compositions for architectural shots in which the subjects are largely symmetrical.

The rule of thirds should be named the idea of thirds, it's often a good starting point, but don't feel obligated to follow it all the time. The one case where it would have made the most impact is the sunset photo, had you moved to the left a little bit the dock would have been angled pointing to the setting sun.

Anyway, keep at it, 95% of it is just going out and shooting, and you're doing a good job of that!