Third Daughter Session . . . Am I Getting Better?

harrylewharrylew Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited March 18, 2008 in People
Hi, all,

I've only posted on here twice, but each time, you gave me some great ideas to try. I'm not a pro, but I would love to take better pictures of my daughter and other family members.

Based on prior input, for this session I was determined to get more light on my daughter's face, without using flash. So I fooled around with a reflector. . . a really high-tech one, a piece of white typing paper!! I held it with one hand trying to bounce light on to the far side of her face, while holding the camera with the other hand. This was very impromptu. Next time, I'm going to use a more rigid piece of white card, so I don't have to finagle with it quite so much.

I also wanted to improve my white balance. So I went out and bought an Expodisc and learned how to use it (I think!). I believe the quality of skin color is much better this time. But you tell me.

Finally, I wanted to try position her face in some different ways, avoiding my typical centered approach.

So . . . how'd I do?

FYI: equipment is a Sony A700 DSLR, with a 50 1.7 lens. The lens is one sweet portrait lens, in my opinion.

In case you want to see the prior posts, go here:
http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=86610

and

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=86821

Ok, here are the new pics:

266558243_Bob3u-L.jpg

266558303_oyM8q-L.jpg

266558166_fTozV-L.jpg

266558211_PyKKo-L.jpg
Harry
"Too many lenses, not enough time."

Comments

• harrylewharrylew Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Whoops, forget to include this link to prior session
    The following post is most comparable to what I just posted. I meant to include it in the original post. Sorry.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=87129
    harrylew wrote:
    Hi, all,

I've only posted on here twice, but each time, you gave me some great ideas to try. I'm not a pro, but I would love to take better pictures of my daughter and other family members.

Based on prior input, for this session I was determined to get more light on my daughter's face, without using flash. So I fooled around with a reflector. . . a really high-tech one, a piece of white typing paper!! I held it with one hand trying to bounce light on to the far side of her face, while holding the camera with the other hand. This was very impromptu. Next time, I'm going to use a more rigid piece of white card, so I don't have to finagle with it quite so much.

I also wanted to improve my white balance. So I went out and bought an Expodisc and learned how to use it (I think!). I believe the quality of skin color is much better this time. But you tell me.

Finally, I wanted to try position her face in some different ways, avoiding my typical centered approach.

So . . . how'd I do?

FYI: equipment is a Sony A700 DSLR, with a 50 1.7 lens. The lens is one sweet portrait lens, in my opinion.

In case you want to see the prior posts, go here:
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=86610

and

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=86821

Ok, here are the new pics:

266558243_Bob3u-L.jpg

266558303_oyM8q-L.jpg

266558166_fTozV-L.jpg

266558211_PyKKo-L.jpg
    Harry
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    well, considering what you were doing to bounce light I think you did really well.

she is a doll! so cute!
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Big improvement! I can see why you want to get better photos of your daughter....she is just a doll and a real natural in front of the camera! Great job! thumb.gif
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I really like #4 and your daughter is adorable =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Cuties02q wrote:
    I really like #4 and your daughter is adorable =)
    15524779-Ti.gif I like this one the best. On the others, it seemed like only one eye was in focus (or covered with hair). But I love your pics!

She is so cute!
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif I like this one the best. On the others, it seemed like only one eye was in focus (or covered with hair). But I love your pics!

She is so cute!

Yup agreed!! thumb.gif The first photo one eye is sharp and the other is very soft, I have a hard time with that myself, keep going!!!:ivar
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    OMG, 1 and 3 just tug at those heartstrings!

She is phenomenal in front of the camera. Oozing cuteness and charm well beyond her years. :saurora

your technique regarding WB and eye light looks much improved!

And if I haven't said before, I really like your style and tendency for tight crops.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited March 18, 2008
    Tonichelle, you're quite right . . .
    . . . time to invest in a real reflector.

And thanks for your sweet comments about my precious.

Harry

tonichelle wrote:
    well, considering what you were doing to bounce light I think you did really well.

she is a doll! so cute!
    Harry
    edited March 18, 2008
    Thanks, Saurora
    Appreciate the kind words.
    saurora wrote:
    Big improvement! I can see why you want to get better photos of your daughter....she is just a doll and a real natural in front of the camera! Great job! thumb.gif
    Harry
    edited March 18, 2008
    OK, talk to me about eye sharpness . . .
    Thanks for your comments.

Now, can we talk eye sharpness! Both you and Heather commented on only one eye being in focus. I did that on purpose, but I'm obviously shooting without a whole lot of knowledge. Is that a portraiture no-no?

Thanks in advance for the guidance. Hanging around here is like going to photography school!
    Flutist wrote:
    Yup agreed!! thumb.gif The first photo one eye is sharp and the other is very soft, I have a hard time with that myself, keep going!!!:ivar
    Harry
    edited March 18, 2008
    Thanks so much. . .
    Yes, she does have that way about her. She actually bats her eyelashes at me when she wants something. Hard to say no! Uh-oh, watch out teenage boys. Nah. . . no dating until the age of 25.

Re: tight crops. I've always liked this. Plus, my house is rather cramped, so the backgrounds are difficult.
    urbanaries wrote:
    OMG, 1 and 3 just tug at those heartstrings!

She is phenomenal in front of the camera. Oozing cuteness and charm well beyond her years. :saurora

your technique regarding WB and eye light looks much improved!

And if I haven't said before, I really like your style and tendency for tight crops.
    Harry