Options

Dirty D300 (sensor dust)

2»

Comments

• Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Here is the lens zoomed out. Thats a lot of space in there. Hold it up to your ear or eye, you'll see. (feel)

Maybe it's just the photo, but that rearmount looks terrible. ne_nau.gif

what it should look like
    Tim
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I ordered the Copperhill stuff, and the new E2 solution and will try that first, then see how pics with a high f turn out. But I would hate to sell it the way it is. If I have to I'll send it in to Nikon. Its just weird I have not had this problem on any digital cameras I've taken to Baja and rode 100's of miles of dusty dirt roads with, and no specs on my Pics.?

IMO your way better off sending it back to get repair than trying to sell this after trying to clean the sensor. especially if you have never done it before.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Maybe it's just the photo, but that rearmount looks terrible. ne_nau.gif

what it should look like

its just my crummy picture.

Now zoom it out and tell me its not like a big rocket blower!
  • Options
    brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    thats not dust in that picture, its aliens!
    Nikon D50 brianhanley.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    I ordered the Copperhill stuff.... But I would hate to sell it the way it is. If I have to I'll send it in to Nikon.
    So this doesn't really sound for sale anymore? Please repost in flea market when you have cleaned/shipped-back/reconsidered, whatever.

useful discussion here, thread has been moved to Cameras.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    You're in Florida! What dust?

I hate to break this news to you but Florida can be very dusty. My main shooting location, the Viera Wetlands has dirt roads plus lots of pollen producing vegetation. My car is coated with dirt & dust after a day's shooting.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    I hate to break this news to you but Florida can be very dusty. My main shooting location, the Viera Wetlands has dirt roads plus lots of pollen producing vegetation. My car is coated with dirt & dust after a day's shooting.

Thats cool! And you are always bringing back some cool shots!thumb.gif

Thanks Erik.
  • Options
    danbrewdanbrew Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    I'm always very careful when swapping lenses in any condition and always store with a lens mounted. Then again... come people change their oil @ 3k miles, others @ 10k+ and some just trade the auto in when an oil changes is due... mwink.gif

I'm also very careful about swapping lenses but often "store" my cameras with no lens installed whatsoever. I travel a ton and enjoy pretending that I'm a 20 year old backpacker (tip - it's a lot more fun when you're 40+ and have some money)... My point, though, is that I'll often have a body or two in a day pack and one or two lenses and a laptop. It almost always makes sense to remove the lens and install a cover cover on the camera body (you know, the black one that comes with the body) so that I can fit all that stuff in a daypack. Granted, I'll be very very careful with my daypack while flying and it's either safely in the overhead and not mashed or by my side.

When not traveling, I do store my cameras with a lens attached. It just looks cooler.

:)

240431385_PeUr6-XL.jpg

p.s. i'll give 'ya a dollar if you can tell me what kind of gun that is...
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    I dont see no gun.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,869 moderator
    edited March 22, 2008
    danbrew wrote:
    I'm also very careful about swapping lenses but often "store" my cameras with no lens installed whatsoever. I travel a ton and enjoy pretending that I'm a 20 year old backpacker (tip - it's a lot more fun when you're 40+ and have some money)... My point, though, is that I'll often have a body or two in a day pack and one or two lenses and a laptop. It almost always makes sense to remove the lens and install a cover cover on the camera body (you know, the black one that comes with the body) so that I can fit all that stuff in a daypack. Granted, I'll be very very careful with my daypack while flying and it's either safely in the overhead and not mashed or by my side.

When not traveling, I do store my cameras with a lens attached. It just looks cooler.

240431385_PeUr6-XL.jpg

p.s. i'll give 'ya a dollar if you can tell me what kind of gun that is...

Wonderful images on the wall. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    danbrewdanbrew Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Wonderful images on the wall. thumb.gif

thx. Halong Bay, North Vietnam on the left and Jinshanling, China on the right. I actually print those prints at Staples on their ink jets - 16x20 for about $5. I swap 'em out every few months and try to have something different there every once in a while.

yep, that is a 80-200 - great, great, great piece of glass. but quickly becoming eclipsed by better, as fast, light-weight, less expensive lenses. still sharp as a tack and great, though. just picked up a 12-24 DX for the D300 and really like it. Am taking off for Thailand and Cambodia for a month here in a few days and am taking that, a 10.5 DX and the 18-200 DX VR with me.

and, uh, yes, there is a gun in that picture.

maybe this one will make it easier...

http://danbrew.smugmug.com/photos/240431385_PeUr6-O.jpg

• Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Oh yeah, I see the Glock now. thumb.gif

Cool 'puter too!

Look forward to seeing some pics from your trip.