USB Issue on the 40D

Andrea H.Andrea H. Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited March 17, 2008 in Cameras
Has anyone ever made their usb port on their camera angry? Ha. I think i did. (so pissed at myself)

I grabbed my camera off my desk and didn't realize it was still plugged in from an earlier offload. I didn't think that I tweaked the cord at all, but I went back today to try and download some new photos and I cannot get a connection via USB now. I hate taking my card in and out of the camera as I had a prong issue on an older camera, which is why I always download via USB.

Does this sound like it's going to be a Canon repair? I've never had to go that route before and don't know what I should do. It's less than a year old.

Thanks
Andrea
Canon 40D & Canon Rebel XT
[canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5] [canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6]
[canon 35L] [canon 50 f/1.8]
[canon 75-300 f/4-5.6] [canon 430ex]
[various - hoods, CFcards, diffuser]

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Sounds like a Canon fix to me.

To be honest, using a card reader is way easier and easier on the camera. There's a reason the cards are removable. mwink.gif To help with your fears, my 20D is going on 3-4 years old, I frequently swap cards in pitch darkness in a hurry between dance numbers, and have had no trouble at all. It's a matter of not forcing things if it doesn't feel right--back out & try again.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Andrea, what do you mean "tweaked the cord" ... did you jerk it real hard? The wires in the cord are very thin so if you did jerk it I would try a new cord first. You should be able to find a cheap one at places like Big Lots or similar outlets, or a more expensive one at WalMart, Circuit City, Office Depot, etc.

Secondly, you could try to reinstall the drivers. Only then would I look toward a problem with the camera.

For what it's worth, I'm with you. I strongly prefer to use the USB and only occasionally remove my cards for downloading. When I dump a full 8GB card, however, I do tend to use a reader simply because it is so much faster. I've seen too many of my students have problems with bent pins to always use that method — although I am nowhere near as cavalier and careless as they are about inserting or removing a card.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Andrea H.Andrea H. Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I've tried two different USB ports on my computer, as well as a new cord. No dice.

The port on the camera is not as snug as it was, so I'm sure I jarred something. Which is just irritating. I am so careful with it, and I go and do something stupid like this. Ah, i can only kick myself so much.

Alright. Do I just go to Canon's website and start there?
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Andrea H. wrote:
    I've tried two different USB ports on my computer, as well as a new cord. No dice.

The port on the camera is not as snug as it was, so I'm sure I jarred something. Which is just irritating. I am so careful with it, and I go and do something stupid like this. Ah, i can only kick myself so much.

Alright. Do I just go to Canon's website and start there?

1-800-828-4040.
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Sounds like a Canon repair issue or use a card reader. (my prefered method)

While researching digital cameras for the department I word for, the downloading issue was one we looked at. The most common damage to digital cameras in general are usb port damage.
  • Andrea H.Andrea H. Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Yeah, I just got off the phone with them. It's getting sent out.

Thanks for the help.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    The 40D has a USB port? rolleyes1.gif

Card reader is a much better option, IMO.

I really can't see bending a card pin.headscratch.gif

I would be more afraid of catching the USB cable and knocking my camera on the floor.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I'd be more afraid of yanking my computer to the floor. I'm not getting a card reader though. I'd end up going out to shoot without my memory cards.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com