Options

house party + live band = police

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited March 29, 2005 in People
this is from the same party as the picture with the two girls i posted yesterday. the singer is gordon of the nsg, a band from seacliff, ny.
check em out if you want: thensg.com or myspace.com/thensg

after only one awesome song, one police officer walked in and 130 kids ran out in under 30 seconds.

18273557-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2005
    binghott wrote:

after only one awesome song, one police officer walked in and 130 kids ran out in under 30 seconds.

/old fuddy duddy on/

near where i live, in the past three years, there have been four teenage alcohol-related fatalaties at parties just such as this, so it doesn't surprise me that the cops came - all around they're cracking down on this type of stuff. my 18 and 17 and 13 year old kids know that i have a zero tolerance for such things.... they get one strike and yer out.

/old fuddy duddy off/
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    near where i live, in the past three years, there have been four teenage alcohol-related fatalaties at parties just such as this, so it doesn't surprise me that the cops came - all around they're cracking down on this type of stuff.
    what do u mean by near where u live because i'm not that far at all from nyc. i don't remember hearing anything about those deaths, but that's terrible.

anyway, the cops came because of all of the cars parked on the street and since they were local village cops, they didn't really do anything because they're paid by those people's taxes, and they don't want to piss of the people that basically pay their salaries.
    andy wrote:
    my 18 and 17 and 13 year old kids know that i have a zero tolerance for such things.... they get one strike and yer out.
    what do you mean by your zero tolerance rule, that they can't be at such a party or they can't drink? and what do you mean by out? i'm 18 and i do not drink nor smoke (cigarettes or drugs) and my parents trust that if i decide to try something that i would be honest about it and they wouldnt be too mad.

btw, you're not a fuddy duddy, you're a responsible parent.
  • Options
    RevcoManRevcoMan Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    anyway, the cops came because of all of the cars parked on the street and since they were local village cops, they didn't really do anything because they're paid by those people's taxes, and they don't want to piss of the people that basically pay their salaries.
    Hmmm.... Thank God I don't live in your part of the country, where your local law enforcement is entrepid about enforcing the law when it comes to underage drinkers. All it will take is one instance where a underage drinker commits manslaughter behind the wheel, and you'll be changing your tune real quick.

"...don't want to piss off the people that basically pay their salaries." headscratch.gif
    Mind explaining that one for me? ne_nau.gif

And as far as Andy's comment goes, I'd have to agree with it 100%. Zero tolerance is the way to go... thumb.gif
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Ok back to the photo...Cool shot...thumb.gif
    Brings back a few memories:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    you have a guy holding a case does not even care if he has cold beer -- more than a beer or 21drink.gif you have never heard of driving deaths related to drinking ?????????? the older you get the more you see how dumb you are the younger you are . i am glad and lucky i got to be an old man so don't puff up if we point something out if you don't want to hear that's up to you Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Maybe it's me but I think some of you are mis-reading this guys posts. He said he lives near NYC and didn't hear about "those" deaths, not that he's never heard of drunk driving deaths. As a young person, he correctly assumed that if 4 kids near his age died nearby, he'd have heard about those "terrible" accidents.

Also he said they were "village police". I took that to mean more like local community security guys, not state or county police officers. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's how I read it. We used to call 'em rent-a-cops, not to be confused with police in any way.

I don't see any "puffing up" here. And since this isn't posted to "Wide Angle", can we comment on the photo without moralizing too much? I'd hate to sour a young photographer on Dgrin just because he posted a pic of a party, underage or not.

Just my 2 cents. I hope binghott keeps posting his photographs.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    what do u mean by near where u live because i'm not that far at all from nyc. i don't remember hearing anything about those deaths, but that's terrible.

the ny metro area is huge :D you are on the island i'm up in westchester.
    binghott wrote:

this is just silly! the local village cops have the same responsibility as any other law enforcement in your area. i'm sure that if the party hadn't broken up, they would have done much more. their presence on the scene was surely enough...
    binghott wrote:
    what do you mean by your zero tolerance rule, that they can't be at such a party or they can't drink? and what do you mean by out? i'm 18 and i do not drink nor smoke (cigarettes or drugs) and my parents trust that if i decide to try something that i would be honest about it and they wouldnt be too mad.

my kids like their cars, and the freedom associated with having a car to drive. if they are ever caught drinking and driving (even one drink), and they are caught, they will 1) be footing their entire college bill themselves 2) lose their vehicle and insurance 3) have to find their own place to live.

thanks bhingott :D
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Hi, the shot is great... really captures the atmosphere well. I'm with the others on why police didn't want to upset the tax payers. I think that's what most of the people pay their taxes for, isn't it. ne_nau.gif

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2005
    ok ok. um where to start. . .

this party was in the village of kings point which is one of the wealthiest areas in the country and is part of the town of great neck (where i live). kings point police are real gun carrying police officers that are payed by the village of kings point (not by the town, county, or state) which is why i was saying that they don't want to upset the people that pay their salaries. i mean, i dont think you'd be happy in the first place if your child threw a house party without your permission and then on top of that got arrested because of it. i live in great neck, but since i technically don't live in a village, we don't have village police, so county police patrol my territory and they're real hard-asses about parties. i hope this cleared up a lot.

in regard to the alcohol related deaths, i know of several fairly recent fatal driving accidents caused by drinking and drugs, i thought andy was referring to alcohol related deaths at parties, not driving after them. i was saying that i can't recall hearing about deaths during parties.

andy, i thought you lived in manhattan because your profile says 'new york city.' i mean, nyc sounds much better and cooler than westchester, but why don't you say westchester? i guess instead of saying great neck i could say long island on my profile to be more broad.

i completely agree with your zero tolerance policy. before, i didn't know that you were referring to drinking and driving. drinking and driving pisses me off, my mom was in a terrible drunk driving related accident in which the driver of her car was killed and the drunk driver of the other car (who was a kindergarten teacher) walked out without a scratch.
    i don't drink (or do drugs), so i don't drive intoxicated. in my group of friends we never let anyone drink and drive, however since there were a lot of people there i didn't know it's possible that other people were, which is terrible. all i know is that everyone i know was being driven by

andy, what would you do if one of your children came home drunk, but safely driven by someone else?
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Maybe it's me but I think some of you are mis-reading this guys posts. He said he lives near NYC and didn't hear about "those" deaths, not that he's never heard of drunk driving deaths. As a young person, he correctly assumed that if 4 kids near his age died nearby, he'd have heard about those "terrible" accidents.

Also he said they were "village police". I took that to mean more like local community security guys, not state or county police officers. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's how I read it. We used to call 'em rent-a-cops, not to be confused with police in any way.

I don't see any "puffing up" here. And since this isn't posted to "Wide Angle", can we comment on the photo without moralizing too much? I'd hate to sour a young photographer on Dgrin just because he posted a pic of a party, underage or not.

Just my 2 cents. I hope binghott keeps posting his photographs.
    you are right sorry Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2005
    i forgot to mention that i will of course continue to post pictures here, these are by far my favorite forums.
    iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    15_1_137.gif i could never leave my "teen" home alone again... id be afraid he'd have one of these parties........................

troy

binghott wrote:
    this is from the same party as the picture with the two girls i posted yesterday. the singer is gordon of the nsg, a band from seacliff, ny.
    check em out if you want: thensg.com or myspace.com/thensg

18273557-M.jpg
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    So...rich kids don't have to suffer the same consequences as poor kids for equal actions? Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    So...rich kids don't have to suffer the same consequences as poor kids for equal actions? Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate.

au contraire mon ami...

in fact, there were several recent busts of teenage house parties here, all in the toniest of neighborhoods. the kids got severe punishments. one i know of, arrested, awaiting trial. another four guys kicked off the football team (they *were* the football team).
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    au contraire mon ami...

in fact, there were several recent busts of teenage house parties here, all in the toniest of neighborhoods. the kids got severe punishments. one i know of, arrested, awaiting trial. another four guys kicked off the football team (they *were* the football team).
    I live in in a town with a local police force that we pay for and not only do "rich" kids not get away with anything but they rarely even try because our police force is so strict. We have noise restrictions,traffic restrictions I can't even cut a tree down on my property without a permit. I am sure the police did nothing because there was probably no reason to do anything in the case of this party.

P.S. Keep taking great pictures Ben....