Unknown Spider

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited March 19, 2008 in Holy Macro
Found this small spider roaming in the bathroom. First sign of a live bug (besides the usual ladybugs) since last fall. I was excited to see it, :barb and managed to snap a couple of quick shots before it scampered off. ID still unknown.

Click for larger images.

2340660651_99e5af0c82.jpg

Amazing how when they are cornered the move thier legs in over the head to protect it.

2341494602_0d753a4ce5.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Lovely captures- how big was it ?
    Can only tell you it's a male - depending on size possibly a house spider Tegenaria sp.
    Brian V.
  • job3210job3210 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Excellent, the white background works well to the colour of the spider and super sharp focusing
    Glenn
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Lovely captures- how big was it ?
    Can only tell you it's a male - depending on size possibly a house spider Tegenaria sp.
    Brian V.

Brian, size was about 3/8" tip to tip of the legs in the 2nd shot. Body was probably about half that size, maybe 3/16". Couldn't find anything like it in my bug book. How did you determine that it was a male?
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    Found this small spider roaming in the bathroom. First sign of a live bug (besides the usual ladybugs) since last fall. I was excited to see it, wings.gif and managed to snap a couple of quick shots before it scampered off. ID still unknown.

Click for larger images.

Amazing how when they are cornered the move thier legs in over the head to protect it.

Hard to tell, but is it actually holding something with it's front legs,
    or are those legs just really big and bulky at the front ???

I have no idea what it is Gary .... Good Shots thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hard to tell, but is it actually holding something with it's front legs,
    or are those legs just really big and bulky at the front ???

I have no idea what it is Gary .... Good Shots thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Skippy- those things in the front are it's palps and boy spiders often have very large ends on them that look a bit like boxing gloves. They are used for signalling and also have special structures for sperm transfer (spiders do it by hand).
    Brian V.
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Aren't the Arachnids with fully developed palps a different family of Arachnid? Because some of them form like full on palps or legs with them, while spiders like tarantulas and black widows and the such evolved fangs?

The "10" legged spiders are different (kind of like how the Daddy Long Legs isn't a "true" spider). I'm pretty sure that's not the "standard" spider.

It's still disgusting. We need a new theme for the macro section. I'm getting really irritated at all the spider photos :D
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici