Visitor View, cool but...

mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Why does it force you back to the home page? Thats what I'm currently getting with FF...

It would be nice if it would just switch in place.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 17, 2008
    mbellot wrote:
    Why does it force you back to the home page? Thats what I'm currently getting with FF...

It would be nice if it would just switch in place.

Or am I doing something wrong?

I'm going to guess that you have customization forcing the homepage buttons like Control Panel to stick all across your site when you are logged in. Is that right?

The Visitor View button wasn't initially designed to be on the other pages, but rather just on your homepage. It sounds like we can improve the functionality some though. I'll bring it up to the engineers.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • The Photo BoothThe Photo Booth Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Along these same lines...

If I choose to Logout (actually Logout, not Visitor's View), about 95% of the time when the page reloads I'm still logged in. It is quite annoying and I'd happily give up the Visitor's View option if I could just Logout reliably.

Thanks!

Mark
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    I'm going to guess that you have customization forcing the homepage buttons like Control Panel to stick all across your site when you are logged in. Is that right?

The Visitor View button wasn't initially designed to be on the other pages, but rather just on your homepage. It sounds like we can improve the functionality some though. I'll bring it up to the engineers.

I do indeed have the (Add Photos) (Control Panel) (Order Backup) (Themes) and (Visitor View) buttons on category and subcategory pages, but not in actual galleries.

If it (the buttons) is the result of a hack it was unintentional, most of my hacking has been cut and paste from the tutorials.

I found a semi workaround... I can start at the page I want to view normally and then just manually update the url with the ?preview=1 option. From then on I'm in "Visitor View" mode and it doesn't force me back to the home page.

Kludgey, but it works until something better comes along.
  • skpingskping Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    A couple more questions on Visitor View
    I love the Visitor View ( VV ) feature, and have been using it for a few weeks now. Kudos to whoever thought that one up! Now.. questions....

Today, I was using VV as I worked out the kinks in one album. Worked great... I liked that I would go right back to that same album, instead of back to my home page as in the past, when I would click 'Owner View' ( OV ), and thought that you'd cooked up an even-neater-update. That was great!

Next, I went to work on other albums, using VV to check my progress. Now, the hitch: whenever I click on OV from any one of those albums, I go to the album I had worked on earlier today; not my home page, and not the album I'm currently working on. What'd I do wrong? Or, is there a bit of a glitch that needs ironing out? Has anyone else had this happen?

While you're contemplating that one.... here's another... is it possible to have a Visitor View button on each & every one of my Smugmug pages? Is this something I can tweak (with directions) on my own, or something that can be added for all of us to use?

As others have said.... I LOVE VISITOR VIEW!!!

Thank you! Lee
    Beyond the Guardrails

http://www.leejacobs.org