Options

EF-S lens

matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited May 2, 2008 in Cameras
Is it possible to modify an EF-S lens to work on EF camera?

thanks in advance

I can resist everything except temptation

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited March 17, 2008
    matasa wrote:

thanks in advance

Not normally. Why do you ask? Is there a particular need?

Come to think of it I believe someone did use a EF-S 60mm, f2.8 Macro to work on a full-frame body using a (modified?) extension tube.

Otherwise you risk damaging the mirror and/or lens trying to use EF-S lenses (by modifying the mount) on a FF or crop 1.3x body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    ziggy53,

Thanks for your reply

I have Canon Eos 20 D, but I am thinking to buy 5D, but most of my lenses are EF-S and looking for possible solutions to this problem, if there is any of courseheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    matasa wrote:
    ziggy53,

Thanks for your reply

I have Canon Eos 20 D, but I am thinking to buy 5D, but most of my lenses are EF-S and looking for possible solutions to this problem, if there is any of courseheadscratch.gif

EF-S lenses don't produce an image circle large enough to cover the 5D sensor - they don't need to and can thus be made a bit smaller and lighter. So even if you could get the mount modified and didn't break the mirror, you'd still get the mother of all vignetting effects.

You can google for several examples of kit lens modifications for the EF mount - all for the 10D, which also is a aps-c body, but didn't have EF-S yet.

Think of it this way. You can settle for the 40D, which is cheaper mwink.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    matasa wrote:
    ziggy53,

Thanks for your reply

Gotcha. The short answer is that by design, Canon EF-S lenses can only be used on Canon crop 1.6x cameras.

Your strategy moving forward depends on whether you intend to keep the Canon 20D, a great camera in its own right, or if you will be selling the 20D?

My suggestion is to keep the 20D, to leverage what you already have, and purchase lenses specific to task for the 5D, primarily wide angle lenses for landscape and possibly portraiture lenses like the EF 85mm, f1.8, for instance.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Like pyry said, it has been done, mainly to get EF-S lenses to fit on the older 10D (a crop body introduced prior to the EF-S line). There's no point in doing that to fit one on a 5D.

I have a return question: why the move to a 5D? What is it that the 20D isn't getting done now? You say most of your lenses are EF-S, so a move to a FF body will be quite expensive as you'll be selling off everything & starting over; IMHO that 5D has to be pretty darn compelling to go through all that hassle & extra expense. I'd take a long hard look at your shooting needs & see if a 30D or 40D might better suit you.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Thanks all for your replys- they are very informative and usufull :)

I am keeping 20 D, but I need second camera and I was debating between D40 and D5. It looks I will be better of with 40 D

Thanks again, your comments were very helpful.

Nino
  • Options
    Suzy_ASuzy_A Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 27, 2008
    matasa wrote:

thanks in advance

Yes! At least some lenses will fit...

I was told by someone that some of the Sigma and Tokina EF-S mount lenses would and I was wondering if the Canon EF-S would. I have a 40D with the EF-S 17-85 mm f4/5.6 and was wondering if it would fit on my EOS3 film camera...

I found that what prevents the 17-85 fitting on the EOS3 is the plastic bit that sticks out from the end of the lens mount.

If you remove the grey rubber ring and then gently pry the plastic bit off with a small screwdriver or knife, then the lens will fit on a full frame and maybe on the APS-H frame camera like the 1D and 5D.

The plastic bit is held on with four plastic lugs. Be careful you don't break them off and they fall inside the lens.

Of course on the EOS3 and probably on a 1D and 5D, you will end up with a circular image - but then who really cares? You just crop it back to a rectangle and call it 10 MP instead of 15 or whatever. On my EOS3, I usually scan the slide or neg (20 MP scanner - 111 MB TIFFs!!) and so crop it back to about the equivalent of 15 MP.

BUT BE WARNED!!!! THIS MOD WORKED FOR A 17-85 WITH A EOS3, BUT ON SOME OTHER LENS/CAMERA COMBINATIONS, THE REAR LENS SURFACE MAY PROJECT TOO FAR BACK AND THE MIRROR MAY HIT THE LENS!!! SO BE CAREFUL!!

Also, some of the lenses may not have the cheap bit of plastic - I think some are metal and in this case the removal is probably more complicated. You may need to remove the four screws that hold the bayonet mount on and the two screws on the electrical contact and then remove the mount itself and then the bit that sticks out, and then reassemble the mount.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Suzy_A wrote:

BUT BE WARNED!!!! THIS MOD WORKED FOR A 17-85 WITH A EOS3, BUT ON SOME OTHER LENS/CAMERA COMBINATIONS, THE REAR LENS SURFACE MAY PROJECT TOO FAR BACK AND THE MIRROR MAY HIT THE LENS!!! SO BE CAREFUL!!

This part cannot be stressed enough, do these mods "At Your Own Risk!"

The afore mentioned Sigma and Tamron lenses are not EF-S mount, they are EF mount lenses with a smaller image circle. They have the same "back focus" as other EF mount lenses.

EF-S lenses have a "short back focus" (that's what the "S" stands for) and their rear element may be way too intrusive to safely fit an EF only camera.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Suzy_ASuzy_A Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 1, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This part cannot be stressed enough, do these mods "At Your Own Risk!"

EF-S lenses have a "short back focus" (that's what the "S" stands for) and their rear element may be way too intrusive to safely fit an EF only camera.

As Ziggy also said - be careful.

I had a look in a camera shop at a few other EF-S lenses. The 10-22 sticks out way too far and the back of the lens WILL hit the mirror. The 60 macro might be ok... The guy in the camera shop also said that as far as he knows, some lenses - like the 17 - 85 are OK but ONLY ON THE PRO/SEMIPRO cameras like the 1, 3 and 5. On the '00 and '000 series eg EOS3000, the mirror will hit the back of the lens and the camera is damaged. He said that someone brought in their 3000 after they had tried a EF-S on it. They also brought in a little plastic bag with bits of mirror and focussing screen in it. It was repairable, but then something like a 3000 is a disposable camera anyway...

Also have a look at http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=31261
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    To echo Ziggy, it can be done with an extension tube as some blogger shared before. Take Ziggy's advise to keep the 20D since it has no resale value at all.
    As what pyry said, the vignetting is the major problem to use EF-S on full frame body.
    It is not advisable to DIY the rubber ring or modify the lens by yourself.
    Why 5D, it is a very personal question. Everybody has their dream toys. There is no right or wrong. I went for the 5d from 300d as I like the feel of full frame and low noise. Speed is not my cup of tea. Once you tried the full frame, you will be hooked up and don't want to move back to 1.6X.
    Keep the 20D and the EF-S lens as back up. Get the 5D with one walkabout lens first then slowly build up the lens collection. The EF lenses can be used on 20D as well. Enjoy the 1.6X crop factor with tele-lens and keep the 5D with wider lens. You have full coverage without worry about missing a shot when you need to change lenses.

Use the 20D with old lenses for more adventure condition - storm chasing, waist deep water, mount it at the bird feeding plate and get the nice photo and ?????? Have fun and you may get some shot which nobody had done before:ivar
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/