Options

Middle of Nowhere

dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited March 23, 2008 in Journeys
These pics are from a few summers ago on a trip to the badlands with some friends...our tent was just to the left, and nobody was around for miles. Just joined dgrin, and now have a place to post! BTW: I didn't tell my friends to pose practically the same way...we were all just tired from the long hike. From our spot, cars were the size of dust specks, and we figured we could walk to the road easily. This wasn't the case...we came across quite a few obstacles along our way (foraging a muddy river at two spots that we had no idea how deep it got (luckily only 3 1/2 ft at the most, w/ a strong current), as well as meandering around the many bison in the area.) We ended up running out of water 2 or 3 hours before we made it to the road, in 95+ heat...but luckily passers-by were kind enough to replenish us with gatorade! The beauty of the badlands was worth the suffering...but I think I'll bring more water next time. :)

264311069_hM3ZA-L-3.jpg

264310792_J3u94-L-3.jpg

264310911_AatgM-L-3.jpg

-Dan K

C&C always welcome! (on my site please...this thread isn't for critique)

www.dank-photo.com

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Nice photos of the Badlands. It is a beautiful place.

And yes....you need a lot of water for the hikes in there. I've met many people who didn't take enough water in when they started...ran out and had to stop.

Have you ever thought about taking the Maah Daah Hey Trail? I'm in the process of planning my hike. It runs from the Southern Park to the Northern Park...90+ miles. No...I won't hike that far, but some of it.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Nice photos of the Badlands. It is a beautiful place.

And yes....you need a lot of water for the hikes in there. I've met many people who didn't take enough water in when they started...ran out and had to stop.

Have you ever thought about taking the Maah Daah Hey Trail? I'm in the process of planning my hike. It runs from the Southern Park to the Northern Park...90+ miles. No...I won't hike that far, but some of it.

-Sounds like a nice trail, no...I hadn't thought about it, but if I get there again, maybe. We only had 2 days in the badlands on our trip this time around...we parked, walked out into the middle, then walked out the next day...I'd say total it was only about 10-15 miles. I've been 2 times down to New Mexico on a 80+ mile trip for scouts though...had a blast. I hope to make it back to the badlands, black hills, and cimmaron at some point.
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Reminds me of some of the terrain around Drumheller Alberta, I love the desolation of these places, just amazing!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    dank-photo wrote:
    -Sounds like a nice trail, no...I hadn't thought about it, but if I get there again, maybe. We only had 2 days in the badlands on our trip this time around...we parked, walked out into the middle, then walked out the next day...I'd say total it was only about 10-15 miles. I've been 2 times down to New Mexico on a 80+ mile trip for scouts though...had a blast. I hope to make it back to the badlands, black hills, and cimmaron at some point.

I to think it would be a nice trail....will know more this summer/fall. I read they have posts cut at 45 degree angles within view of the previous post so you can't get lost....bet I can...hope I don't :D

Did you do your hiking at Philmont? Did you see the plane? Is it still there? My Dad found that plane while hiking with scouts long ago.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I to think it would be a nice trail....will know more this summer/fall. I read they have posts cut at 45 degree angles within view of the previous post so you can't get lost....bet I can...hope I don't :D

Did you do your hiking at Philmont? Did you see the plane? Is it still there? My Dad found that plane while hiking with scouts long ago.

Good map and compass is all you need...although GPS is so widely available now. Yep, I did my hiking at Philmont...I did see the plane...I think it's a kind of "known" thing to see now, but still quite cool... The last time I was there was in 2000.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    dank-photo wrote:
    Good map and compass is all you need...although GPS is so widely available now. Yep, I did my hiking at Philmont...I did see the plane...I think it's a kind of "known" thing to see now, the last time I was there was in 2000 I think.

I'm happy to hear your found the plane....My Dad and his Troop
    were the first to find it as no one knew it was there. But that was many many years ago.