Another senior session...

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 28, 2008 in People
This one was tougher . The exposures in white clothing with her jet black hair were a fun challenge !!!

Comments....???

1-
267093261_oeFXH-L.jpg

2-
267081655_ZXFPn-L.jpg

3-
267086182_dhcWM-L.jpg

4-
267043151_ZpaAS-L.jpg

5-The blacks weren't plugged in LR, but look like they are now....Hmmm:scratch
267024144_JpFSu-L.jpg

6-
267026585_x4dtF-L.jpg

7-
267035149_yX8KY-L.jpg

8-
267033183_sC8Um-L.jpg

9-
267037079_wxS5v-XL.jpg

10-
267086459_wwztH-L.jpg

Comments

• gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Hi Jeff - I think you've got some great shots here!

1 - I like this shot quite a bit. Her eyes really stand out, and I like the angle looking slightly down at her. You could clone out the stray strand of hair on her forehead, but thats' my only nitpick.

2 - I like this shot too. I'm not a big fan of tiling, but I think it works here... the line from her head to her waist is still straight up and down, so it feels like it's "balanced". At least to me... Maybe it could be cropped a little bit tighter?

3 - Nice. The slight wind in the hair makes the shot more dynamic. Good job getting the eyes and hand both in focus. That's something I probably would have messed up.

4 - I don't think this pose is as flattering for her, and it seems her smile is a little forced in this one.

5 - my favorite! I think it's the most natural smile. Her personality is shining through. On my monitor I can still see the texture in most of her hair, although it does seem to get plugged on the right side of her head a little. Doesn't bother me too much, I still think it's a great looking shot.

6 - She doesn't look totally comfortable in the pose for my tastes.

7 - I don't like the tilt in this one. I want to warn her to watch her balance or she's going to fall off the track! And the way the building intersects with her head is a bit of a distraction.

8 - nice shot, but her smile is better in some of the others.

9 - I like the pose, location, and composition, but again I think her smile is better in some other shots. It looks a bit tired here.

10 - I really like this shot! I'm going to have to put that idea in my back pocket for a future session... Her smile is not as big as some of the others, but it looks relaxed and natural. I think the vignette works well here.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Overall some great pictures - and 3 different looks! Wow, must have been a long session! Thanks for sharing with us.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    gregneil wrote:
    Hi Jeff - I think you've got some great shots here!

2 - I like this shot too. I'm not a big fan of tiling, but I think it works here... the line from her head to her waist is still straight up and down, so it feels like it's "balanced". At least to me... Maybe it could be cropped a little bit tighter?

I don't typically crop until I order prints, unless I am straightening. I try to leave room for various ratios for later.
    3 - Nice. The slight wind in the hair makes the shot more dynamic. Good job getting the eyes and hand both in focus. That's something I probably would have messed up.

...and I wish the hands were sharper!!
    4 - I don't think this pose is as flattering for her, and it seems her smile is a little forced in this one.

I disagree.ne_nau.gif I think this pose helps her to have a more balanced figure. I try hard to avoid shooting folks square on. In her case, There weren't very many body positions that would actually widen her hips to help balance her out. So, I am not buying into it being un-flattering. I will admit it is a pretty conservative pose, and I am not entirely happy with her hand position. In this case, she placed her hands there without prompt which many times appears more natural than it would if they are told where to place them. Not for everyone, but for her...this time...I like it....at least thats my story....:D
    5 - my favorite! I think it's the most natural smile. Her personality is shining through. On my monitor I can still see the texture in most of her hair, although it does seem to get plugged on the right side of her head a little. Doesn't bother me too much, I still think it's a great looking shot.

She began to get sassy on this one....and it helped the shot out a lot.
    6 - She doesn't look totally comfortable in the pose for my tastes.

She seemed comfortable in the position to me, but I think the "practiced" smile hurts the image more than anything else.
    7 - I don't like the tilt in this one. I want to warn her to watch her balance or she's going to fall off the track! And the way the building intersects with her head is a bit of a distraction.

I like tilting R/R shots....what can I say?
    8 - nice shot, but her smile is better in some of the others.

9 - I like the pose, location, and composition, but again I think her smile is better in some other shots. It looks a bit tired here.

I agree
    10 - I really like this shot! I'm going to have to put that idea in my back pocket for a future session... Her smile is not as big as some of the others, but it looks relaxed and natural. I think the vignette works well here.

We had only just begun shooting in that one. I was trying out my one step ladder. I wished later that I had lugged the taller one out for some of the other shots. It is a great tool to have along.
    Anyway, those are my thoughts. Overall some great pictures - and 3 different looks! Wow, must have been a long session! Thanks for sharing with us.

She actually did 4 outfit changes...although 3 of them were just shirt swaps.

Thanks for your detailed reply!!!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Jeff...how do you get such beautiful subjects? lol
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I think your photography and processing are awesome in these, but it doesn't appear that the subject warmed up.
    edited March 21, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Jeff...how do you get such beautiful subjects? lol

...Laughing.gif...

To be honest, I just answer the phone.:D

Rumour has it that I will be doing senior photos for boys as well, but so far have only had one taker.
    edited March 21, 2008
    LMAO...ever hear of call forwarding? :):ivar BTW...check pvt msg
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ...Laughing.gif...

To be honest, I just answer the phone.:D

Rumour has it that I will be doing senior photos for boys as well, but so far have only had one taker.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited March 21, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    I think your photography and processing are awesome in these, but it doesn't appear that the subject warmed up.

She did great, just a little nervous in front of the camera. I am the same waymwink.gif

I would much rather be behind one that in front of one.
    edited March 21, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    LMAO...ever hear of call forwarding? :):ivar BTW...check pvt msg
    I did not recieve a PM
    edited March 21, 2008
    I've been working on my managing people in front of the camera.....I absolutely love shooting people when they are fully relaxed....dunno if you saw the last but check your pvt msgs.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited March 21, 2008
    I replied to yours.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Jeff,

I've been admiring your senior portrait work. Once again everything is spectacular...... but... I've got to say that your subject's labored smile doesn't work. Unfortunately, my 9y/o son has the same sort of thing going on. No matter what, if you tell him to smile, he's got the funkiest robot smile you've ever seen. It is truly difficult to 'trick' him into his natural smile and I can very rarely do it.

I know nothing about portraiture, and even less about business, but I would consider re-shooting this beautiful young lady and trying to find the secret to her natural smile.

I only offer this suggestion because I have experience with this sort of thing with my son. I hope you don't think my criticism is too 'harsh'. Like I said previously, your work is fantastic, it's her smile that is the deal breaker...

John
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    This one was tougher . The exposures in white clothing with her jet black hair were a fun challenge !!!

I always had fun with this, too, and took it as a personal challenge whenever I had the opportunity. But I was only truly successful, to my high standards, a grand total of once. She wore a black and white silk dress with dyed and embossed patterns - that was on film and I was surprised to get any shot of it that worked. You did very well with it. Congratulations! thumb.gif

Numbers two, five, six and ten are fantastic, with extra kudos going to seven. I'd recommend burning in the bright spot over her head in number two, though. Other than her smile looking forced in some, something that can be difficult for a photographer to control - she's one of us, those who are not real comfortable in front of a camera - you did good.

These are great shots, Jeff. Way to go! wings.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Like #8 clap.gif

More drivel, I guess, from...

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Great work...
    #5, my favorite by far. I think other's have commented on the smile in this one...looks way more natural/relaxed. I really love your processing. My monitor's not calibrated, but everyone of those shots just pops. Good work.thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Great Photos!bowdown.gif
    I like 1,3,5,6,10 the best of the bunch.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    http://aperturefocus.smugmug.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Sweet! I like these better than the other set.
    Lots of great scenes very well captured. Difficult exposures handled very well.
    Knockout model.
    I usually have 1.5 to 2 hour sessions and the first half hour we just mess around. We try to get the girl to relax and have fun. As soon as we see her start to relax we get serious about shooting.
    Of course some girls are more confident and ready to go right away.

I can't pick a favorite... there are so many exceptional shots here.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Someone mentioned a rather forced smile...I must agree that this gal doesn't seem as relaxed as Lindsey. However, you captured a nice variety (again)!
    I like the way her hair is blowing in #3.
    I like the tree background in #4.
    The background and smile are great in #5.
    #8 has great comp and colors.

You are doing great senior portraits, Jeff! By the time your youngest is a senior, you'll be doing her whole class!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited March 28, 2008
    jecottrell wrote:
    Jeff,

I've been admiring your senior portrait work. Once again everything is spectacular...... but... I've got to say that your subject's labored smile doesn't work. Unfortunately, my 9y/o son has the same sort of thing going on. No matter what, if you tell him to smile, he's got the funkiest robot smile you've ever seen. It is truly difficult to 'trick' him into his natural smile and I can very rarely do it.

I know nothing about portraiture, and even less about business, but I would consider re-shooting this beautiful young lady and trying to find the secret to her natural smile.

I only offer this suggestion because I have experience with this sort of thing with my son. I hope you don't think my criticism is too 'harsh'. Like I said previously, your work is fantastic, it's her smile that is the deal breaker...

John

Thanks for commenting. I see nothing here as being harsh, and agree with you about the smile. If I am concerned about anything, it is that those whom I photograph are pleased with the results. She seems to be!!

BTW, most folks here recieve criticism whether they ask for it or not. It is no biggy for those of us who have played the forum for a while, but can be intimidating to newcomers. Rudeness on the other hand is something entirely different, and should not even be acceptable in "the whipping post".
    We are all here to learn after all. I am sure that anyone who reads your post would agree that it carried a good critique in a helpfull tone.

Anyway....thanks, and welcome to DGRIN:D