The Wild Coast of Olympic National Park

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited March 21, 2008 in Landscapes
I was finally able to take a break from work and take three days off to explore Olympic National Park last week (Wed-Sat). I concentrated mostly on the wild beaches (although there are some excellent opportunities in the temperate rain forest and the Olympic Mountain parts of the park as well, I had never shot the ocean at sunset, even though I'm less than four hours away! It's almost criminal).

Here are some of my favorites (these are from Kalaloch Beach and Ruby Beach):

266266709_na9q4-L.jpg

266577767_qCbdP-L.jpg

266556204_64eu4-L.jpg

266552948_vxLrs-L.jpg

266550518_JVNg8-L.jpg

There are some other cool beaches in the (huge) park that are excellent for photography, Second Beach (which I visited, but not at sunset), Rialto Beach (also visited, but not at sunset, did see a bunch of Bald Eagles there), and Shi-Shi Beach (didn't visit, will visit next time). I'll also dress so I can dip my legs in the water, as some of these beaches have small creeks that need to be forded. Unfortunately, sunset was also at high tide, which meant I had to keep on moving backwards, sometimes not fast enough, though I only fell on my butt once... (that's good for me) :D

Comments

• CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Very pretty!

I like the colors, and the interesting perspectives.

The only suggestion I have for improvement is that the fact that the rock is pure black in photos #1 and #3 is distracting. It's a "black hole" and my eyes are guided there. It detracts from the rest of the image a bit... I'd like to see a little more detail, not just a pure black silhouette.

On photo #4 I'm not bothered by it in the same way as it's central to the composition. But the way I feel about it is different in photos #1 and #3 versus #4. Any chance you can pull a little details into it by moving the black point down a couple points and throwing a little shadows & highlights in there?
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I like the first two images the most.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    The first shot is...
    The first shot IMO is a wonderful example of how a wide lens should be used. It doesn't just show a wide expanse of uninteresting landscape, it emphasizes an object in the foreground.

IMO (again) many photographers just slap on a wide lens and point their cameras in a general direction with the hope that something might just be interesting in the frame.

You obviously, saw what was there, selected purposefully and made a wonderfully interesting image of it.

By the way - the second shot is great along those lines also.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Very pretty!

I like the colors, and the interesting perspectives.

The only suggestion I have for improvement is that the fact that the rock is pure black in photos #1 and #3 is distracting. It's a "black hole" and my eyes are guided there. It detracts from the rest of the image a bit... I'd like to see a little more detail, not just a pure black silhouette.

On photo #4 I'm not bothered by it in the same way as it's central to the composition. But the way I feel about it is different in photos #1 and #3 versus #4. Any chance you can pull a little details into it by moving the black point down a couple points and throwing a little shadows & highlights in there?
    I agree on the first photo, but not the third. The first photo the black silhouette is a stark contrast to the tonality in the rest of the image. The third photo, I think it's OK... the image in general is dark, and I think the shape of the sea stack is enough, no details needed.

Anyway, here's the first photo redone a little, thanks for the feedback!

267200918_MZzsy-L.jpg
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Very cool NW shots. The horizons seem a bit off, but, so am I. Sounds like you are loving the coast! Nice captures, and thanks for sharing.

PS Well Done
    Growing with Dgrin

• gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Wow, that first shot blows me away. I think there's kind of a pleasing parallel between the angle the wood is at corresponding to the angle of the coastline. Anyway, just a lovely shot. I've been backpacking along the beach up there a couple times, it's one of my favorite places. You captured it perfectly. Thanks for sharing.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Spectacular photos!! #1, #2, & #5 are my favorites. I go on vacation through this forum looking at all of these beautiful landscapes. You have now made me add Olympic National Park to my "bucket list" (great movie!!). I want to stay on the North American continent and right now the Canadian Rockies have the top spot, although your photos and recent posts of desert blooms have made me add the Southwestern deserts and the Pacific Northwest coast. Thanks for posting.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Spectacular photos!! #1, #2, & #5 are my favorites. I go on vacation through this forum looking at all of these beautiful landscapes. You have now made me add Olympic National Park to my "bucket list" (great movie!!). I want to stay on the North American continent and right now the Canadian Rockies have the top spot, although your photos and recent posts of desert blooms have made me add the Southwestern deserts and the Pacific Northwest coast. Thanks for posting.

I find myself doing the same thing too. Armchair vacations! And a great way to shop for new locations to visit. thumb.gif

Great series and even though the foregrounds were dark, as people stated, they bring out the colors and textures in the sky very nicely.
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Great job thumb.gif
  • doctorsoupdoctorsoup Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Kudos
    Ron,

I like your rework of #1 the best, but they are all strong images. I agree the horizon is off a little on #1, but so am I as well. This is added to my short list of must-visit locations for shoots!
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Very nice work Ron. I do like the refinements made to #1, but they are all super from the get-go.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the positive feedback! I straightened the updated #1 photo (I should stop post-processing photos with the laptop on my lap...).

Here's a few more (at Second, Kalaloch, and Ruby beach respectfully), the full gallery is at http://photos.coscorrosa.com/gallery/4527336_mJCuz (it contains photos from the entire trip, including some birds and forest stuff, in addition to the beaches).

266544853_7QgLM-L.jpg

266574299_JBAPH-L.jpg

266559581_NYsSu-L.jpg
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Beautiful work! I miss the Washington coastline...
    Chris
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Nice set of images. The fourth one is really a different type of sunset shot. Really nice. You did good thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • pthorpepthorpe Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Primal - Engaging - Pristine . . . . fine business!
    Thoughts become things ... pick the good ones!

www.digitallifephotography.com
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Wow - not sure which is my favorite, #1 and #3 are duking it out right now.

clap.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc