My old man

ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited March 21, 2008 in People
I keep at my semi-spontanous portraits:

Dad_III_by_cainadamsson.jpg
-Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I like your portrait.iloveyou.gif

However, I would like better to see a not so confusing background and a better balance between the two sides of the face. :D

I am just curious: which lens ?

When I say that the background is a little confusing, distracting I don't mean that is change to an homogeneous one. I just mean not so distracting.
    Well, just me...:D

:Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I like your portrait.iloveyou.gif

However, I would like better to see a not so confusing background and a better balance between the two sides of the face. :D

I am just curious: which lens ?

When I say that the background is a little confusing, distracting I don't mean that is change to an homogeneous one. I just mean not so distracting.
    Well, just me...:D

:Dthumb.gif

Hey!

Thanks for your comments! I can try to make a version where i diffuse the background a bit more in PS, darken it and make it more blurry!

It is my old trusty sigma 18-50 2.8 at f/2.8 and 50mm. I have to say that this lens is among my best buys.. :)

again, thanks for your comment!
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I like it. Nice and sharp...and full of texture. I think that setting a darker black point for the face/eyes would possibvly darken the BG and make it less daistracting as well....although I didn't find the BG to be a bg l

Great shot, thanks for sharing!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I really like it too. His expression is what keeps me coming back. He looks either fearful or ominous... not sure which, but I like it!
    The background is busy, but to me his expression and the sharpness of his eyes takes over the picture and I am not bothered.

Great work! :D
    edited March 18, 2008
    Thanks for the kind comments! both of you :)
    -Ulrik

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I like it too and agree with Antonio Correia 15524779-Ti.gif about the the background.

Only, I take exception to him being called an 'old man', even if he is yours! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited March 18, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    I like it too and agree with Antonio Correia 15524779-Ti.gif about the the background.

Only, I take exception to him being called an 'old man', even if he is yours! :D

Don
    He keeps telling me that he is 29 and have been for the last years.. :P Thanks for your comment!
    -Ulrik

• CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    1) I like the subject, the framing, and the focus. Nice and sharp but not over-done

2) I agree with Jeff about the black point. Needs some levels work, and a slight increase in the contrast for my taste. It kinda feels like a straight monotone shot without much b&w adjustment. If this were my shot, I think I'd have done some curves and levels and contrast adjustment to give his face/skin features some character. Even when I shoot and finish in monotone from RAW, I never leave it as-is.

3) The background is a bit busy. Perhaps some lens blur would solve it.

4) I'd like to see this same shot with him looking directly at the camera.

Great shot of your dad. The "Old Man" comment, at least from how I took it, is a term of endearment. Didn't offend me in the least. I never had a dad who I had enough respect and love for to want to photograph him. But if I did, a shot like this is probably what I'd take.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
    edited March 18, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    1) I like the subject, the framing, and the focus. Nice and sharp but not over-done

2) I agree with Jeff about the black point. Needs some levels work, and a slight increase in the contrast for my taste. It kinda feels like a straight monotone shot without much b&w adjustment. If this were my shot, I think I'd have done some curves and levels and contrast adjustment to give his face/skin features some character. Even when I shoot and finish in monotone from RAW, I never leave it as-is.

3) The background is a bit busy. Perhaps some lens blur would solve it.

4) I'd like to see this same shot with him looking directly at the camera.

Great shot of your dad. The "Old Man" comment, at least from how I took it, is a term of endearment. Didn't offend me in the least. I never had a dad who I had enough respect and love for to want to photograph him. But if I did, a shot like this is probably what I'd take.

Hey!

Thanks for your long and very constructive comment! I love you guys on this forum, I get lots of good input both photographically and pp-wise :) I have tried to pp this one a bit in the line of what you and some of the other guys have said. I ended up with something like this: (was this what you were after?)

267551448_H9Wmx-L.jpg
    -Ulrik

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Woah! I was going to comment on the first image (which I really like--composition and the catchlights in his eyes are fantastic!), then i scrolled down and got hit with your updated version. Yowza. Very striking. clap.gif

I'm not sure about the bright edges/lines that remain in the background--look like they're jutting out of his head. Maybe slightly less contrast in the background to even that out a little? I'd almost hate to darken the lines, too, and lose the background entirely.
    edited March 19, 2008
    1) I like how you darkened the background. However, it looks like some of it on the left side was removed and simply made black. That gives it a centered/cropped look, which wouldn't work for this pic since you shot it correctly in the first place, using the rule of thirds as a guide. That was the first thing that grabbed my eyes, so except for losing that whole left side into blackness, this darker way you've changed up the background looks much better IMO.

2) As for his face/skin....much better. It now has character and brings out an interesting aspect to his personality that the original photo lacked. It tells me that he's seen a lot, worked hard in his life, and earned every wrinkle on his face. Now...back off on the contrast just a tad and I'd frame it. We always have to be careful not to go to extremes with any adjustment we make to a photo. Take it in stages as you adjust. Look at something else for a couple minutes, then go back and look at it again. Sometimes if we sit and stare at a photo we're working on for too long, it's difficult to give it an objective eyeball and make a wise determination about whether the change was too much, too little, or just right.

3) The eyes look great. Not sure if you hsve them special att, but I really like how they look now.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 19, 2008
    Much better. thumb.gif

Regards,
    edited March 19, 2008
    Thanks for your comments all of you! I'll try to incorporate them and make a blazing final version.. :D
    -Ulrik

edited March 19, 2008
    Tried to retain but dampen the detail in the background, emphasize the natural lines in his face.

(And for the record: "my old man" is a very, very positive remark, no negative connotations implied.. :) )

267707966_Goweh-L.jpg
    -Ulrik

edited March 19, 2008
    I certainly did not mean any real negative ones, myself. Witness the :D!

I was just goofing on ya because of My age. See my Avatar and Profile images. LRmvcDonR

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited March 19, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    I certainly did not mean any real negative ones, myself. Witness the :D!

I was just goofing on ya because of My age. See my Avatar and Profile images. LRmvcDonR

Don

Hey!
    I didn't think you did, I was just clearifying :) Age is a mark of honor where I'm from..!
    -Ulrik

edited March 19, 2008
    :D

Don
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Wow, this photo has progressed from good to amazing just over the course of this thread. I love your B&W conversion, very very well executed.

clap.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    This is exactly what I was thinking....3rd version. Now he is still in his envioronment...background is still there, but carries less weight in the image....and WOW look how the contrast has made changes in his face. Now that has character!!
    edited March 19, 2008
    Frame it :)
    edited March 19, 2008
    Thanks a lot for your comments! Glad you liked it! :D
    -Ulrik

• CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Good stuff...
    Okay, my one comment for the day, and then I'm off to bed. I really liked the latter versions, for all the reasons others have already commented on. I'll say in general, the catch lights in the eyes were a little distracting for me. Someone early on suggested having him look at the camera. I think that would have allowed the catch lights to not sit right in the darkest part of his eyes (pupils). I think that off set effect gives depth to the eyes that's lost when the lights are dead-center as they are in your shot. All that said, I still really-really like the shot. Good work.thumb.gif
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Incredible photo.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Hi ulrikft

I really do NOT like the later versions! I much, much prefer the first, but that is not to say that it couldn't be improved. However, the later versions are so sterile and stark! They make me think of an abattoirs! Or they look like a cops and robbers movie capture, or someone on death row a la tabloids, so condemning! He is caught in the glare of the searchlights! He is going to be shot! Is everyone letting their primal envy show?!

It's just my developing bias showing, I know, but I really am coming to intensely dislike portraits that isolate the subjects into a nothingness place, all meaningless , or blurred, insipid, anonymous, without a role, without a voice. I am reminded of the old nostrum "Children should be seen but not heard"! - "A background should be as characterless as intolerance and ruthlessness can make it".

No! Speaking personally, I am nothing removed from my milieu of the things I live among. Our relationship is symbiotic, there is mutual dependence and benefit, and there is antagonism and tension. Take my things away and I am without a skin, I gape senselessly as a fish out of water. I am without a stage to act my drama. I am a cutout without dimensions.

I love your background. I love how the subject carries it on his shoulders and yet leans into it for support. I love how like his face it has its highlights and shadows. How his roundnesses contrast with its rectilinearities. How he comes out of it and returns into it. He and it are one cloth. The picture behind tells some of his story. What? we wonder.

To stamp the background out of existence, or to make it merely a setting, is to avoid confronting its challenge for a photographer. It is sometimes, maybe usually, hard to get the background on your side. I believe you have to dialogue with it as much as with the subject. Not guillotine it in postprocessing!

I would like to see your B&W have more modeling, more tonal variation, definition and more richness. The background, if left alone, will come onside, I believe.

Thanks.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 20, 2008
    Thank you for your long comment! I have to admit that I'm confused now, but I can try to make another final version to see if I can make one that you like :)
    -Ulrik

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Hey!

Thanks for your long and very constructive comment! I love you guys on this forum, I get lots of good input both photographically and pp-wise :) I have tried to pp this one a bit in the line of what you and some of the other guys have said. I ended up with something like this: (was this what you were after?)

267551448_H9Wmx-L.jpg

They are both good.....but this one is fantastic!!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    the last one is amazing! i just love it!!!!!!..

Put a nice frame on it and give it to your old man! this is such a wallhanger !