Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited March 21, 2008 in Landscapes
Following a late afternoon storm.

264354562_awq9K-L.jpg

C & C stongly encouraged! Thanks.

Comments

• dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    What a gorgeous valley. I love the shadows and areas of direct light.

How would it looked with the contrast bumped up a little to emphasize the areas of shadow and the direct light areas???
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
  • TheMightyZogTheMightyZog Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    A really most interesting image - very muted colours and nice contrast with the sun popping through.

You wanted C&C - I like the composition, but you have not made full use of the tonal range, so the image could have more contrast. All the interest is really on the left hills, capped by the bit of blue sky and ones eye naturally follows the valley up. I suspect that one could crop a bit off the right side, but if you did so, you would loose the 1/3rd on the left light patch. The top 1/3rd is nicely placed just on the top of the far mountains.

Now what I can not work out is whether a colourful, contrast image is better or worse - so I had a wee bash. I find it very interesting that one can completely change the mood of an image so easily and therefore present a completely different story.

What are your feeling? What story did you want to tell? Thank you for sharing this with us and well done.
    264354562_awq9K.jpg
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    C & C stongly encouraged! Thanks.
    I really like the overall image, but for me it's too dark, and soft. With a little sharpening, and moving the exposure, contrast, and black levels a bit - I came up with something that follows the spirit of your picture, but lightens it up a bit and shows the details of the rock better:

268621168_oXw9j-O.jpg
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Thanks Chris and Tim
    Chris, I think you went a little nuts with the Sats and hues but hey man it is interesting. Thanks for your comments. I like the overall mood of the image and the light golds.

Tim, I think you hit it right on the head. I just made a 20x30 print after I finished tweeking the clouds (they were too warm) and bumping the contrast and a tiny bit of exposure. It looks exactly like the rendition you posted. I am very happy with it.
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Tim, I think you hit it right on the head. I just made a 20x30 print after I finished tweeking the clouds (they were too warm) and bumping the contrast and a tiny bit of exposure. It looks exactly like the rendition you posted. I am very happy with it.
    I do love it when a plan comes together! clap.gifthumb
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc