First Headshots

PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited March 20, 2008 in People
I'm just starting to learn some very basic portrait photography, and was asked to take some headshots/portraits of my mother. She wanted them mainly for some political ads. (She's runing for local city council - Now that she's retired she has WAY too much time on her hands, it seems!) :D She also wanted a few for her own personal keepsakes. And gave me about 2 days notice to get it done. Yikes!!

This is the first time I've ever tried posed portraits, and these are a few of what I came up with. Excuse the goofy poses, clothing choices, etc. My mother is quite a demanding lady. I love her more than anything, but she definately "knows what she wants" and is as stubborn as I am about getting it!! :wink

Anyway, portraiture has never been a strong point for me, but is something I'm trying to learn. I'm really looking for some good, ol'fashioned, harsh constructive critisism here. So any and all C&C would be most welcome!

1. 267587172_ZMAnU-L.jpg

2. 267587359_cdLdi-L.jpg

3. 267588448_YUhSN-M.jpg

4. 267587508_hNhUr-M.jpg

5. 267588584_9vAP6-L.jpg

6. 267588288_ZtFiy-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. You guys are awsome.
Phil Collum
Phil Collum Photography
San Diego, CA, USA
Equipment list in my profile

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Hi there.

Haha, I have one of thse moms aswell iloveyou.gif

#1: I would have tried to tell her to turn her body a bit, so one shoulder is more in the front. I think straight on photos like this look a bit too "harsh"

#2: Haha, not sure if it's a city council-shot, but she sure looks like a model rolleyes1.gif

#3: Not sure about this one, maybe it's the light/flash .... headscratch.gif

#4: I actually really like this shot. She looks "strong" and looks like she knows what she wants. Guess it's more of a political ad. Maybe I would have taken it somewhere in the city though, with some architectural background.

#5: LOVE that shot. She looks very sweet & natural in it!

#6: I would crop the phtoos a bit different, maybe just under their hands / above the knees? But they sure look like a loving couple!

Hope this helped ... mwink.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    my fav is #5, great shot!
    Aaron Nelson
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Another vote for #5 - very natural in every way and a great composition clap.gif
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Another vote again for #5. Very nice.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    #5 thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Hi there.

Haha, I have one of thse moms aswell iloveyou.gif

#1: I would have tried to tell her to turn her body a bit, so one shoulder is more in the front. I think straight on photos like this look a bit too "harsh"

#2: Haha, not sure if it's a city council-shot, but she sure looks like a model rolleyes1.gif

#3: Not sure about this one, maybe it's the light/flash .... headscratch.gif

#4: I actually really like this shot. She looks "strong" and looks like she knows what she wants. Guess it's more of a political ad. Maybe I would have taken it somewhere in the city though, with some architectural background.

#5: LOVE that shot. She looks very sweet & natural in it!

#6: I would crop the phtoos a bit different, maybe just under their hands / above the knees? But they sure look like a loving couple!

Hope this helped ... mwink.gif

Geez- that is exactly what I was thinking on every single photo. Good job overall. Just watch the light hotspots and a little fill flash (not too much, though) would help on some of the outside ones. You can sure catch a glimmer of her personality in these which is a very good thing!
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Agnieszka gave you great advice, so I won't try to top it... but I want to add my voice to the accolades for #5! That's a wonderful shot. Relaxed pose, well composed, good exposure, a wonderful smile, and a twinkle in her eye. Good work.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Love #5 - your Mom looks very personable and approachable here, as well as very happy :D
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Thank you, everyone, for the comments. I guess I'll lobby for making #5 her lead shot! Knowing her, she'll probably lean toward "I wish I were a fashion model" #2! :D

Agnieszka, gregneil, heatherfeather, thank you for the suggestions. You are all spot-on.

I had the most difficult time getting correct outdoor fill and not creating those ugly highlights. It was just about 12:00 noon when she wanted to go outdoors, and the bright southern California sun was shining brigtly overhead without a cloud in sight! I tried reflectors and fill flash but couldn't seem to get the fill light right. headscratch.gif I'll be working on that.

Thank you again, everyone. You guys always pull through with good advice.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Well, everyone is in agreement that #5 is the hands down winner, but nobody has said why. Well, I'll say why. It's because it's the only one that's not a straight on view. We like it because it's not straight-on, and particularly because it's narrowly lit (that is to say that the primary (key) light source is on the side away from the camera.) In the vast majority of situations, you only want to see one ear in a portrait. Sure there are exceptions, but they're rare.

Your mom has a very expressive face and a great smile.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    1 - Turn her a bit more away from the camera. It appears you have two light sources here, but they also appear to be the same intensity. I might suggest you move the one camera left a little more to the left, move the other a bit closer to the camera and lower the power on it a bit. If you have a light ratio of 1:2 or 1:3, you will get some decent depth in the photo - as it is, you have no shadows (called flat lighting) to provide texture/depth/interest.

2 - This is better for all the reasons outlined above. I would still drop the power of the fill light another stop.

3 - I would think this is not appropriate for a political type portrait. Shooting down on someone places them in a subordinate position relative to the viewer, thus reducing the appearance of power/competence. Look up at them (just a little) has the opposite effect. As for the light, do you have a reflector to camera right? I get the sense of a different colored light source (warmer) from that direction.

4 - From a lighting perspective, this is nicely done. You have balanced the ambient with fill to reduce the impact/contrast of the shadows on her face without completely removing them. Her expression is one of a person who knows what they want. The slight angle to the camera is flattering and not quite so "in your face."

5 - Watch the hot spots on the face caused by dappled light as it filters through trees. The pose has a very nice, informal, and approachable feel to it. Well done.

6 - Again with the dappled light. Her crossed legs are a bit too crossed. Maybe crop this a little but up from the bottom, like at mid-thigh?
    edited March 20, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Well, everyone is in agreement that #5 is the hands down winner, but nobody has said why. Well, I'll say why. It's because it's the only one that's not a straight on view. We like it because it's not straight-on, and particularly because it's narrowly lit (that is to say that the primary (key) light source is on the side away from the camera.) In the vast majority of situations, you only want to see one ear in a portrait. Sure there are exceptions, but they're rare.

Your mom has a very expressive face and a great smile.

Thank you, Icebear. Good points to pay attention to next time.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    edited March 20, 2008
    1 - It appears you have two light sources here, but they also appear to be the same intensity.

Yeah no doubt I got the ratio wrong. The flashes were in manual, and I had them set at s 2:1, but obviously had the fill set to close to the subject. I'm glad you pointed that out.
    3 - I would think this is not appropriate for a political type portrait. Shooting down on someone places them in a subordinate position relative to the viewer, thus reducing the appearance of power/competence.

Great point - where were you when my mother was demanding that I be high enough to capture the scrunchie in her hair?! rolleyes1.gif
    As for the light, do you have a reflector to camera right? I get the sense of a different colored light source (warmer) from that direction.

Good eyes. Yes, I had a large gold reflector camera-right that her husband held for me. After I saw the image on my computer, I wished I had balanced the reflector better.
    5 - Watch the hot spots on the face caused by dappled light as it filters through trees. The pose has a very nice, informal, and approachable feel to it. Well done.

Thanks. I had hoped I could tone the shadows down enough with my fill (which was set up on a shoot-through umbrella camera-left) - but no. It wasn't even close. eek7.gif
    6 - Maybe crop this a little but up from the bottom, like at mid-thigh?

I'll try it. Thanks for the very detailed comments, Scott!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA