Bird Watcher

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited March 29, 2005 in People
I went out to the bald eagle next again yesterday... and I finally saw them!!! but thats another story... There was another bird watcher there as well. He had a little more patience than me though, he was setup before I got there, and was there when I was leaving. You wouldn't believe how long those birds can just sit still!! :D

I think I really captured this man well, rather happy with this shot. As I processed, I was happy with the composition, but still being early spring, the colors were all really dull and dreary, so I made it monochrome and put a warming layer on it. What do you think?

18365728-M.jpg

(we're looking out over a river, sitting on top of the dike)
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    I like the pp work. I wish you were a bit closer so the guy in the chair was more prominent. I will be surprise if someone doesn't find a problem with the title since there is no indication that he is watching birds but it doesn't bother me since you explained it. Thnxs for sharing.
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    I also think that the man should be just a tad closer. Is that the orginal crop of the picture. Can you get closer without losing the detail? I really like this picture and the man- he's so isolated, it tells a story. Great
    clap.gif
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 28, 2005
    I also think that the man should be just a tad closer. Is that the orginal crop of the picture. Can you get closer without losing the detail? I really like this picture and the man- he's so isolated, it tells a story. Great
    clap.gif
    Ashley
    Thanks, thats all I was really trying to do. This ain't no challenge, just sharing a cool shot.

That is full frame, resized, and RAW, I could easily crop it closer and it'd look great. Lighting was fine so there actually wasn't much else to "fix", hence quality stayed high. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. I'm just a sucker for diagonal lines, and the more I crop, the more I lose from the line of the path coming down.
    Erik

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    i like looking at it without a story, it's just a guy sitting alone on a bare hill. i really like how the darkest part of the picture seems to sit on the lightest part of the picture. i dunno, i just like it.
    edited March 28, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i like looking at it without a story, it's just a guy sitting alone on a bare hill. i really like how the darkest part of the picture seems to sit on the lightest part of the picture. i dunno, i just like it.
    thanks, me too :D
    Erik

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 28, 2005
    Erik

This is definitely a cool shot. The issues of closeness vs detail is part of the wide angle stuff Andy speaks of, I guess.

Is there something off in the BW conversion? Look at the trees in the background; are they a tad yellow?
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    I like it as is Doc

Cool shot. I can see myself sittin in that chair just watchin.
    edited March 29, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Erik

This is definitely a cool shot. The issues of closeness vs detail is part of the wide angle stuff Andy speaks of, I guess.
    Thanks. :D

Is there something off in the BW conversion? Look at the trees in the background; are they a tad yellow?
    Sorry Angelo, you fail the reading comprehension/retention quiz...
    Doctorit wrote:
    so I made it monochrome and put a warming layer on it. What do you think?
    lol3.gifwave.gif

then again, maybe I didn't bump up the saturation quite enough on the warming layer? How's your monitor? Now that I look at it, looks much "warmer" on my Mac screen at home than here on the PC.
    ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 29, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks. :D

Sorry Angelo, you fail the reading comprehension/retention quiz...
    lol3.gifwave.gif

then again, maybe I didn't bump up the saturation quite enough on the warming layer? How's your monitor? Now that I look at it, looks much "warmer" on my Mac screen at home than here on the PC.
    ne_nau.gif
    OK, 1) you're welcome, 2) my bad, 3) SMACK! (that's for being a wise-a**) rolleyes1.gif
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I went out to the bald eagle next again yesterday... and I finally saw them!!! but thats another story... There was another bird watcher there as well. He had a little more patience than me though, he was setup before I got there, and was there when I was leaving. You wouldn't believe how long those birds can just sit still!! :D

I think I really captured this man well, rather happy with this shot. As I processed, I was happy with the composition, but still being early spring, the colors were all really dull and dreary, so I made it monochrome and put a warming layer on it. What do you think?

18365728-M.jpg

(we're looking out over a river, sitting on top of the dike)
    I love this, he looks cold, miserable and fed up and enjoying his space. If he wasn't so fed up he would have smacked you for invading his space but he couldn't be bothered rolleyes1.gif The colour creates the mood :):
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    I like this image, but I suspect it would look better in a larger size. Care to post a link to a higer res version?
    If not now, when?
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks, thats all I was really trying to do. This ain't no challenge, just sharing a cool shot.

That is full frame, resized, and RAW, I could easily crop it closer and it'd look great. Lighting was fine so there actually wasn't much else to "fix", hence quality stayed high. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. I'm just a sucker for diagonal lines, and the more I crop, the more I lose from the line of the path coming down.
    Cool shot Doc. I really like the angles, but what I really like about this shot is the negative space around the lone dark figure. I'd keep it as is.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com