Options

Cheapest software anywhere???

13»

Comments

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    ccpickre wrote:
    Yes, but when an online retailer beats student pricing, it's a safe bet that it's not legit.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the online retailer was beating student pricing.

The academic pricing we are offered was only $200. $50 more than when you were paying for PS CS3, right? and for that extra $50 you get 3 additional Adobe applications (Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat Pro). Sounds like a better deal to me.

However if you want only PS CS3, you can ONLY get the Extended version with academic pricing and it cost $300 headscratch.gif
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Bendr wrote:
    Yep, it's the academic pricing, I got mine at academic superstore... and my favorite part about it is that adobe lets you use the academic versions for commercial use, and you can use it to get upgrade pricing later on! :)

I've seen good deals at the University of Wisconsin as well...I should've taken advantage of them while I was still a student, but my girlfriend is on staff there now, so maybe I'll have her get it for me. I guess I just wasn't aware that Adobe lets you use the academic versions for commercial use, and that you can get upgrades. Thanks!thumb.gif

-DK

www.dank-photo.com
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Awesome thumb.gif I'm glad it worked out for you.

Thanks Ivar!
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    dank-photo wrote:
    I guess I just wasn't aware that Adobe lets you use the academic versions for commercial use, and that you can get upgrades.

As I recall, the only requirement was that I could not use the software for University work.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    As I recall, the only requirement was that I could not use the software for University work.

That shouldn't be a problem, thanks!

-DK
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited April 2, 2008
    Dank,

I am glad you got you money back anyway. That is something to be thankful for.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Dank,

I am glad you got you money back anyway. That is something to be thankful for.

Definitely! :whew Thanks!:D
  • Options
    downwithcheapestsoftwaredownwithcheapestsoftware Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2008
    Cheapest Software Anywhere
    I've ordered twice from this guy. The first purchase was Microsoft Office 2007 for $74.99. After a few attempts I was finally able to install it and it works fine, so far. The second purchase has been the purchase from hell! It's Norton 360, for $19.99. No instructions came with it, but there are instructions in a folder on the disk. They don't make much sense to me and are kind of vague. The guy tells me to click on buttons that aren't on the screen or he'll tell me to do things, but not how to do it. I've been emailing back and forth with the guy but am getting nowhere. I've wasted a whole evening and most of the next day trying to get this software installed.

To install this software I have to email the guy for the serial code, as he calls it, but actually it's the Product Key. I have to disconnect from the internet. Then I have to go through the installation process until I get to a certain page. Then I have to copy the URL of that page, reconnect to the internet so I can email this guy the URL. Then I have to disconnect from the internet again and wait. Wait for what I don't know. I can't get past this portion of the installation. The instructions in the folder on the disk say to wait a few seconds becsuse magic is happening and that it'll alert me again that I need internet connectivity to create a Norton account.

Well, I'm still waiting for that magic to happen. :soapbox

Here's to you Cheapest Software Anywhere :boid
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Even if you get a copy with a key, wouldn't you have to activate it? And if so, wouldn't Adobe's activation system know that that copy does not belong on that computer ne_nau.gif?

I had Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro installed on my office computer and my laptop then when I tried to activate the program on my home computer, it wouldn't let me because I had already used my two allowable installations. I practically had to call the Pope to get an exception.

Given all that, I'm not sure what good the key would do in the end.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    I keep saying TINSTAAFLthumb.gif

• Options
    Colorado RockiesColorado Rockies Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2008
    Cheapest Software Anywhere
    You really need to watch what you buy from this place. I ordered a copy of Rosetta Stone French Levels 1 & 2 from them for my son's Christmas present. Their on-line site stated the software was compatible with Windows Vista . . . It wasn't. They sold me version 1 (version 3 is the most recent version), which would not work on my son's computer. Also, the disks were not factory-labeled, rather the 2 disks had small white labels titled "Program Disk" and "Levels 1 &2." This made me leery whether the CDs were pirated. I advised the Software and Information Industry Association as well as the Rosetta Stone Company that Cheapest Software Anywhere might be making illegal copies of software. Cheapest Software Anywhere refuses to accept the returned CDs and provide us with a refund. I have filed a complaint with the Delaware Attorney General's Office. Bottom Line -- beware of deals that seem too good to me true. Have a Happy new Year.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2008
    Thank you for posting this. Just goes to show.....

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    call your credit card company
    You really need to watch what you buy from this place. I ordered a copy of Rosetta Stone French Levels 1 & 2 from them for my son's Christmas present. Their on-line site stated the software was compatible with Windows Vista . . . It wasn't. They sold me version 1 (version 3 is the most recent version), which would not work on my son's computer. Also, the disks were not factory-labeled, rather the 2 disks had small white labels titled "Program Disk" and "Levels 1 &2." This made me leery whether the CDs were pirated. I advised the Software and Information Industry Association as well as the Rosetta Stone Company that Cheapest Software Anywhere might be making illegal copies of software. Cheapest Software Anywhere refuses to accept the returned CDs and provide us with a refund. I have filed a complaint with the Delaware Attorney General's Office. Bottom Line -- beware of deals that seem too good to me true. Have a Happy new Year.

Call your credit card company and do a charge back............after so many charge backs their card company will cancel their abilty to accept cards.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 19, 2009
    Mod Note
    In the past 24 hours we have seen a couple posts praising Cheapest Software Anywhere. They were both from new members, but a bit of investigation showed that they were connected with the company, so the posts were deleted and the members banned. Similar recent activity has been noted on other boards on the net. Unethical behavior like this is just another reason to avoid doing business with them.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2009
    Thanks for pointing this out while I was gone, Richard.

TINSTAAFL is still true after all!!thumb.gif

This discussion has been closed.