Copepods from my fish tank

AhzdeeenAhzdeeen Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited March 21, 2008 in Holy Macro
These tiny little devils are in my saltwater aquarium (don't worry, it's a good thing!) They tend to congregate on the thermometer right on the front of the tank. Since they're so small, and relatively non-moving, I thought I would take advantage of them and practice shooting at 5:1...I can tell this is going to be the start of alot of practice..The big one is..well, tiny. The blue guy in the 2nd Picture is my favorite, but he's so small I'm not sure if I'll ever find him again.
2347173262_41eb3fa56e_b.jpg
This guy was just so cool looking, but so small that after the first shot I lost him
2346339065_bf4f40eaba_b.jpgDid some research, these are actually pretty cool critters! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Interesting shots- like them - assume these would be regarded as plankton ?
    Brian V.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Nice eye
    Those are great images. The blue one is really cool hope you find it again. Back in the early 90’s I worked on a crab boat up in Dutch Harbor Alaska, late one night we where pulling pots and came across something very strange it was a fish that looked very similar to your Lil blue one. Neon pink with blue tipped on all of its points. Thanks for sharing and making me remember that fish. MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • AhzdeeenAhzdeeen Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Thanks for comments guys :)
    They do indeed fall into the category of plankton, I think once I get off work I'll be plastered in front of the aquarium again getting shots of them...is it normal to take around 100 or so pictures and only keep a handful?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Ahzdeeen wrote:
    These tiny little devils are in my saltwater aquarium (don't worry, it's a good thing!) They tend to congregate on the thermometer right on the front of the tank. Since they're so small, and relatively non-moving, I thought I would take advantage of them and practise shooting at 5:1...I can tell this is going to be the start of alot of practice..The big one is..well, tiny. The blue guy in the 2nd Picture is my favorite, but he's so small I'm not sure if I'll ever find him again.

This guy was just so cool looking, but so small that after the first shot I lost him
    Did some research, these are actually pretty cool critters! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

Oooooooooooooww I love these little critters.
    Transparent and Luminous clap.gif those little fella's in the second shot look like they have their own electricity supply.

Your very fortunatle to be able to photograph these.

Well done, and how lucky are you! .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin