Options

No sales :(

aGrandemangeaGrandemange Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 27, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
... I'm an amature Photographer who just likes to take pictures. I setup a Pro account to see if others would like my pictures enough to purchase them, but unfortunately I have not sold any. Not one. I'm not sure what the issue is so I'm looking for honest feedback (be harsh... I can take it).
You can find my site at www.alaingrandemange.com.

Is it the layout? Structure? Pricing? The quality of the Pictures? or maybe there are too many pictures... I don't know.

I was also wondering if others were sucessful in selling there photos online (other than to family and friends).

Am I fooling myself in thinking anyone would want to spend their hard-earned money on my pics?

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    The first thing, and a very important thing, is to ask why do you allow access to the originals while at the same time trying to sell? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited March 20, 2008
    There is some interesting discussion about selling in this thread - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=86383.

A shorter conversation, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=88098.

For the most part, I think that you will need to do more than just publish galleries online. Unfortunately, sales don't just happen for most of us....

--- Denise
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Not many people come to Smug Mug to Brows around looking to purchase photos, you need to sell to YOUR customer - if you don't have any customers or are not marketing YOURSELF - you'll post this same question next year as well.

Michael
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    I don't sell a ton of photos, just over 500 last year. But I can honestly say that I have not sold one single photo to a stranger that was just browsing SM.

All my sales come from customers who I have had some kind of contact with at an event or who have hired me.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Well in real life, "Build it and they will come." just doesn't work.

First I guess I would ask: how many photos from other photographers here on DGrin have you bought? If you, a photographer, who appreciates good images, haven't bought others photos, its hard to expect others (general public) buy yours. Not saying that you need to buy other's work to get them to buy yours, nor am I saying your work isn't as good as others...not at all. It is just there are millions of photographers taking good photos, so you are getting lost in the noise. Not everyone buys photos by stumbling across them on the web.

There needs to be a resaon to buy: an event that buyers want memories from, a subject that is sought out, or perhaps something they know you and your work for.

Plus you need to consider how are folks supposed to find you site? why would they find it? Are you promoting it? Handing out cards at events?

I started in your position, buying a Pro account figuring that my photos were so fabulous that they would sell enough to pay for the account. I was wishful. I now have a Power Acount, and just enjoy taking photos :D