Artsy portrait... Is this acceptable?

aGrandemangeaGrandemange Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 21, 2008 in People
I have been playing around with new post-production techniques in Photoshop. The idea was to create a painting/air-brush effect. Below is an example of a result. First I'd like to get some feedback on it, and second, is this level of artistic post-production acceptable? Just wondering.

238889187_nkFjT-M-2.jpg

Other example can be found at http://www.alaingrandemange.com/gallery/4114446_zrVKt#241533045

Thanks ahead.

Comments

• ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Nice job on the effects. Very soft looking. I would lighten it up some and turn down the saturation some. For me the overall darkness and coloring was distracting from the eyes.
    LadyTX
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    In my opinion, it's way too dark and orange.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    It's an interesting shot. Over saturated is the word I'd use for it.

How bright is your monitor? Do you have it set to a nice vivid brightness? If this photo looks good on your monitor, then you likely have it set too bright. I was having the same issue a few months ago and and totally had to re-do a complete photo shoot as a result. The brightness created the over saturated look while doing my adjustments. I'd adjust the contrast and levels to look good on my monitor, but on anyone else's monitor it was dark and over saturated. I adjusted the brightness lower, and the problem went away. I had played a video game on it a couple days earlier and forgot to adjust the brightness back down again. That'll learn me dern me. I plan to purchase a high end apple puter and monitor in the near future, and will only use it for photo processing. That should prevent a similar issue from occurring again.

Additionally, the area around the eyes looks a bit too shadowy and over-processed. The straight on head shot creates other problems as well, but I won't even get into that. Lastly, her skin is a little over-processed and soft. Looks like you had good focus, but destroyed it in your attempt at creating a stylish photo. I realize you wanted a high quality airbrushed type of look, but I'm not sure you are quite there yet.

Beautiful little girl. Work on the issues above and you'll have a great shot next time.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Pack behavior
    Some times you have to accept your artist's eye as having an intent. Will your image win an award - probably not, but, are YOU happy with the image? Sometimes we want to follow the pack and create the norm and other times, we can have the freedom to have creative license with our work. I don't think there is always a right or wrong unless it's regarding emulating a certain generally accepted look.

If the image were part of your style, and your look, then it would never be wrong. If her parents were buying it for framing for you and they loved it, and you loved it, that would be all that would count.

Could it look less processed? Probably. Do YOU want it to have a different appearence>? It's your call!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    If the image were part of your style, and your look, then it would never be wrong. If her parents were buying it for framing for you and they loved it, and you loved it, that would be all that would count.

Could it look less processed? Probably. Do YOU want it to have a different appearence>? It's your call!

I agree with Kathy. The key to developing a personal style is to depart from the conventional in some consistent way. If you (and your client) are happy with the result, then full speed ahead.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    everything is acceptable, its a matter of taste whether most (or any) like it rolleyes1.gif

I don't see anything that could be unacceptable with it, it's pretty UNdaring if you ask me.. ne_nau.gif

personally, i'm not a big fan of how it turned out. its too dark and airbrushing small children reminds me of peageants :uhoh

but if you like how it turned out you should keep it how it is, otherwise you will never create your own style but rather copy others.. just my 0.02
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com