Options

My REVIEW of the Solmeta GPS tagging unit DP-GPS N1

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited March 26, 2009 in Accessories
I don't normally do product reviews......especially since I'm not the best writer nor have a lot of extra time, but I am doing this review since I purchased a product from a little know company and promised them I would I would review their product and post my honest review. I though some readers on DGrin might be interested.

I'll make the standard comment to clarify that I do not work for or am in any way affiliated with the company..nor am I getting paid for my stated opinion.

What is the gear a photographer may want for 2008?

I own and have been using the Nikon D200 and just recently received the New Nikon D300. I looked into my list of “Want” items and decided to look into a GPS tagging unit for my Nikon bodies – Neither of these camera bodies have a GPS unit built-in, buy they do feature direct support for one and there is even a GPS menu on the camera itself.

After doing some research on the internet, I found there were many ways to go…..but many of the GPS Tagging units did not have the features I wanted, nor would they satisfy my needs. I was looking for a simple way to GEOTag photos without having to worry about any special software and syncing reqirements after the images were taken. Being able record GPS data directly into the EXIF data of a image SAVES TONS OF TIME as opposed to taking notes (which I never did anyway) and is a whole lot more accurate.

There were two products that made my final list and after further research I decided to try a new GPS GEOTagging device, the DP-GPS N1 made by Solmeta Technologies.

268094507_6SzB6-S.jpg

One main reason that I chose the DP-GPS N1 was that the N1 comes with it’s own internal rechargable battery – so it won’t suck up my cameras power!

268094933_osgtG-S.jpg

I ordered two units and they arrived in a matter of days. My first impression is the materials and construction appear to be of high quality – I fitted the units to my D200 and D300 by the 10 pin connector – which the connection mated up perfectly (as it should). The size and weight are certainly not an issue as the units are small, very lightweight and easy to travel with. Reviewing the operation instructions via the user’s manual was straightforward. Mounting the N1’s: they are designed to sit on the hot-shoe or attach to your cameras strap. I use the hot shoe a lot for a flash remote with off camera flash so I attached the units to my cameras strap.

From the companies website:
Unique Features
●SiRF star III chipset 20 channels
●Short initial time, no setup required
●Best hotshoe and ten pin connector solution
●Easy to operate
●Small, lightweight and easy to travel with
●Compact & fashionable design
●Real time GPS information
●Build-in rechargeable battery, more than 9 hrs operating time
●Unique camera battery backup support
●Mounted on flash accessory shoe or attached to camera strap
●Support Nikon D3, D300, D2XS, D2X, D2HS & D200, Fujifilm S5 Pro

Main Specifications
Electrical Characteristics
GPS Chipset: SiRF Star III
Frequency: L1, 1575.42 MHz
C/A Code: 1.023 MHz chip rate
Channels: 20 channel
Tracking sensitivity: -159dBm
ACQUISITION RATE
Hot start: 1 sec., average
Warm start: 38 sec., average
Cold start: 42 sec., average
Reacquisition: 0.1 sec., average
ACCURACY
Position Horizontal:10meters,2D RMS
1-5 meters 2D RMS, WAAS corrected
Velocity: 0.1m/sec.
Device Size and Weight
Size: 56 (L)mmX36(W)mm X 17(H) mm
Weight: 50g

268109403_EoguH-S-1.jpg

268109428_5XdwR-S-1.jpg

The first thing you will want to do is charge the units battery (rechargable). From my repeated test on both units, it takes approximately 2 ½ hours to fully charge the unit and you will get approximately 10 hours of continiuos usage time. Once your battery on the unit is drained you can then flip a switch to “camera” and now the unit will run off your camera battery if necessary.

Now for the excitement: First time out using a unit on my D300, cold start – WOW!, very quickly (not more than 40 seconds) a signal was locked. After that, turning the camera on and off the capture time was anywhere from 1-10 seconds. Accuracy is dead on, just as I would expect.
The beauty of this unit is that the GPS information (longitude, latitude and altitude) are inserted right into the metadata of each shot as you take them. There is no need for ANY post processing when you return to your computer. Since I use Adobe Lightroom I can take advantage of this data instantly by clicking the little GPS button in the metadata panel which will automatically take me to the location that I was shooting on Google Maps. I also use Smug Mug as my photography website (www.MLKimages.com) which is also linked to Google Maps. So after I upload new images to my Smug Mug website, Customers are able to click on a “Map This” button which will open up the gallery in Google Maps and show all the gallery images laid out on the map. Flickr users....same thing, upload you GPS embedded images to your Flickr account – Pretty Cool!

The unit has two switches. The first is the CONTROL switch which allows you to control how the unit is sync’d to work with the camera.
AUTO – In the Auto position the GPS unit will turn on and off with the camera – simple. This will probably yield the best battery life. However, each time the unit is turned on with the camera in this mode it will have to potentially acquire the satellite signal again.

ON - it stays on and connected to the GPS satellites regardless if the camera is on or not.

OFF is just that, the unit is off regardless of the camera being on or off.

Since the unit has it’s own internal battery I personally recommend the ON position if you are shooting, then moving then shooting again. If you’re going to use it off and on throughout the day, then Auto is probably best. There is a clear indicator right on top that quickly flashes red in a sequence of 3 when it is searching and blinks a slow and steady red when it has locked on. There is one additional green lamp that will light steady when the unit is being charged and will turn off when fully charged. Also when in use, the green lamp will illuminate when the battery is running low.

The second switch is POWER, which controls where the unit gets it’s….you guessed it –where it gets its power. INSIDE uses the GPS internal battery. CAMERA is using the cameras battery.

Solmeta customer service has been nothing but excellent! One item I did not like on the initial units I received was the inability to know when the battery of the unit was drained. I also was not fond of the connection of the chargers to the GPS unit. I sent an email Solmeta and offered them a few suggestions to improve the units. They sent me a reply of thanks and they would look into it. One week later I received a follow-up email saying that the changes I recommended were implemented into new units and replacments were on the way. Now I am using the renewed units and the green light will flash when the battery is low and the connection is excellent between the charger and receiver. Solmeta has also advised me that they are intorducing a new unit shortly that will have a location locking anility so when shooting indoors you will be able to lock the GPS location and embed the data into the exif info when shooting indoors - another requested and cool feature!

268104172_pNnLk-S.jpg

268106527_zKSLH-S.jpg

268106515_vjax4-S.jpg

Enjoy and if anyone reading my review is planning on purchasing a GPS tagging unit from Solmeta, make sure you mention that you read my review.....that may offer you a small discount ;)

MLKimages

Comments

• Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    questions:
    1) if you leave it in the ON position and you go indoors where there's no satellite tracking, does it still tag the images w/ the last synced lat/long? that'd be nifty if it did...

2) is the only way to buy this through the manufacturer's website?

thx! and nifty review!clap.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Indoor Tagging
    Dan,
    The current model IO have will not tag the images indoors - althought I have been able to receive a signal in some gyms - accuracy is thrown off quite a bit. This was another suggestion I made to Solmeta and they are adding this feature and it will be included on a different model which should be available in a few weeks. Right now I just snap a quick picture prior to entering the building and use "GeoSetter" to copy the GPS date from the one image and paste it to all the images I shot indoors - then import into Lightroom. Adds an additional step and takes another 5 minutes to processing time.

Direct order is the only way (It's how I ordered anyway), if you email them first and mention my review, they can instruct you about any discounts. Shipping when I order my pair was just a few days.

Michael

dangin wrote:
    questions:
    1) if you leave it in the ON position and you go indoors where there's no satellite tracking, does it still tag the images w/ the last synced lat/long? that'd be nifty if it did...

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008

268109403_EoguH-S-1.jpg

Great review!!thumb.gif........You did not give the suggest4d retail value of the unit...minor detail...find that on the website.....

BUUUUUUT WHERE IS YOUR SMUGGY STRAP ON THAT NEW CAMERA?????!!!!!???rolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited March 22, 2008
    Thanks for you review!

Mind if we include it in the reviews section?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    Go right ahead..
    Fell free to move it/post my review in the review section.

Michael

ian408 wrote:
    Thanks for you review!

Mind if we include it in the reviews section?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
  • Options
    lyneInSFlyneInSF Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Just saw this, great review.

Quick question: does the geotag impact the speed of writing to memory card?
  • Options
    thorinthorin Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Nikonians Used To Have The N2 (I think) In Their Store
    dangin wrote:
    questions:

In the past, Nikonians had the N2 advertised in their store - don't know if they still have it.
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Hello,

Wonder if there is a cable savvy person here who could make the N1 hook up to a Canon? Looks like a neat solution.

Hopefully after another generation or two this is simply built into the camera itself.
  • Options
    chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    I've been interested in a GPS solution for awhile but having compatibility issues. The review here is great, and it seems like a nice device. I use Canon, Mac, and always shoot in RAW. I've been looking for a portable GPS unit that will embed GPS tags in my RAW images and is Mac/Canon compatible. Every unit I've found so far misses on one or the other. If anyone out there has an answer that I'm missing would love to hear about it.
    Chris
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    If anyone out there has an answer that I'm missing would love to hear about it.
    Dittos.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    I've been looking for a portable GPS unit that will embed GPS tags in my RAW images and is Mac/Canon compatible. Every unit I've found so far misses on one or the other. If anyone out there has an answer that I'm missing would love to hear about it.
    Chris

Ok I think the truth is there is no such device. And personally I don't think there ever will be, since I suspect (and really hope) that camera manufacturers will finally embed GPS chips in their products.

For me, I find that embedding GPS location data in my RAW files is fairly simple, and adds one additional step to my workflow.

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx (any mapping GPS will do) to keep track of my location. I simply turn it on, toss it in the bag and go. At the end of the day, I connect it to my Mac, and run GPSPhotoLinker, a free app for Mac. It grabs the location info from the GPS. I then copy the RAW files from my CF card to a folder, and GPSPhotoLinker updates the metadata in the RAW files. then I point Lightroom to this folder for import. Done.

The only difference here is rather than importing files from the CF card to Lightroom, I copy them to a folder on the Mac first.

http://www.earlyinnovations.com/gpsphotolinker/

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    cmason wrote:

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx (any mapping GPS will do) to keep track of my location. I simply turn it on, toss it in the bag and go. At the end of the day, I connect it to my Mac, and run GPSPhotoLinker, a free app for Mac. It grabs the location info from the GPS. I then copy the RAW files from my CF card to a folder, and GPSPhotoLinker updates the metadata in the RAW files. then I point Lightroom to this folder for import. Done.

The only difference here is rather than importing files from the CF card to Lightroom, I copy them to a folder on the Mac first.

http://www.earlyinnovations.com/gpsphotolinker/

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

That seems like a great workaround and fairly simple. I'm going to read up on it and give it a shot.
    Thanks!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    One quick question... the CD ROM that comes with Garmin says not Mac compatible. Is there a mapset that is mac compatible that you downloaded and transferred to the device?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    One quick question... the CD ROM that comes with Garmin says not Mac compatible. Is there a mapset that is mac compatible that you downloaded and transferred to the device?
    Thanks

Well, of course the Garmin maps are not related to the tagging function above, since the Garmin just provides GPS track data to GPSPhotolinker, whether it shows up on a map on your device or not. For many locations where I forgot to load the map data, it just showed a track on a big yellow patch of nothing on my GPS, but since I wasn't using it for the map, I didn't care.

However, to answer your question, Garmin provides Mac software, and conversion software if you have the Windows versions of the software. You might be able to call Garmin and request the Mac CD...but there are tools:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp

The MapInstall app will convert your Windows Maps to Mac Maps. But you have to have a Windows machine with the maps installed.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    Wow. I just saw this on Jeffrey Friedl's blog. I don't have Lightroom 2 yet, but if I can indeed take GPS track data directly into Lightroom....wow. Time to upgrade and send Jeff a donation

http://regex.info/blog/2008-10-29/979
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Wow. I just saw this on Jeffrey Friedl's blog. I don't have Lightroom 2 yet, but if I can indeed take GPS track data directly into Lightroom....wow. Time to upgrade and send Jeff a donation

http://regex.info/blog/2008-10-29/979

that looks really great. I have LR2 but am having trouble breaking habit of only CS3 and making it part of my workflow. btw I LOVE the GPSPhotoLinker you told me about. so easy to use and quick. I'd be interested to hear what you think of this plug in and how it compares.
    cheers,