1st shot with a macro

300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited March 22, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hello Folks. I got my 105mm Macro last night and jumped into taking shots. Been lurking and reading and thought I understood. HA, I have discover this macro has a learning curve that I will have to work on. Not at all like the closeup I was doing with a std lens. I read the lesson that are stickied, but was not preparied for the actual expeerance. Question, would you folks be willing to review the lessons with comments for me? Second Focus stacking, can you do this in PS? I have the extended version. What about photomatrix, HDR program. Reason I ask is I do not see a program for the MAC out there. Thanks much

Here are the 2 photo's I took, both are tripod mounted as my handhold tech stinks and it was windy.

EXIF for both:
D200,
AF-S 105mm in Manual focus and VR off,
f/5.6
ISO 140
1/60
267934066_MWNu3-S.jpg

267933898_PVwHC-S.jpg

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Well, given what you say about windy conditions, I think they're pretty nice. FWIW the tripod really won't help you if your subject's blowin' around. For me, if it's really windy, I don't even try. Too frustrating. You might try upping your ISO so you can use a faster shutter speed though. 1/60th is pretty optimistic.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Good shots esp for first go.
    Before thinking about focus stacking I'd just get used to the lens and aperture/dof effects for a while.
    There is a focus stacking prog for the MAC called heliconfocus but it is a commercial prog. I quite often do manual focus stacking in PS just by using the repair brush from one picture to another - bit like painting in detail :).

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    300m wrote:
    Hello Folks. I got my 105mm Macro last night and jumped into taking shots. Been lurking and reading and thought I understood. HA, I have discover this macro has a learning curve that I will have to work on. Not at all like the closeup I was doing with a std lens. I read the lesson that are stickied, but was not preparied for the actual expeerance. Question, would you folks be willing to review the lessons with comments for me? Second Focus stacking, can you do this in PS? I have the extended version. What about photomatrix, HDR program. Reason I ask is I do not see a program for the MAC out there. Thanks much

Here are the 2 photo's I took, both are tripod mounted as my handhold tech stinks and it was windy.

EXIF for both:
    D200,
    AF-S 105mm in Manual focus and VR off,
    f/5.6
    ISO 140
    1/60

Hi there 300mm, I'd like to see you post much larger pictures,
    as these little ones can hide a multitude of sin.

Anything up to 800x600 is plenty big enough thumb.gif

Lovely flower you've taken as a subject, and I can see on the first one you have the entire flower on the right in focus, but have chosen to grab the centre of the flower in the second shot .... can clearly see the difference.

Hope you will post larger images in your next post, looks like your doing really well to me clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there 300mm, I'd like to see you post much larger pictures, as these little ones can hide a multitude of sin.
    Anything up to 800x600 is plenty big enough thumb.gif

Skippy, OK I was unsure and the info on SM showed this size for forum. Those shots are located here on SM 3rd shot was taken with a Canon Pro1 in Super Macro mode

http://www.300m.smugmug.com/gallery/4541349_dYHE2#267934066

Brian - Lord V; Thanks very much for the tip. Will do I will try to grab some shots today of some plants we bought for the yard last night. I have been busy in the yard so I have not had much time to play yet. I did the bolt-screw test and the focus test. Very enlightening. I wiggle bad!!!

I have some of my watch movement and a stamp sized puzzle I will post later tonight. The wife just call, the yard is waiting for me.

Thanks for the comments and later!