First Portrait Post

kris10kris10 Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited March 24, 2008 in People
I spend all of my time in the smugmug support room most of the time but thought, "what the heck and I staying in here for like I'm grounded". I've been browsing around the rooms here and have seen some great work. I thought I'd jump in and show some of mine.

This little man is a year old and his mother wanted some candid shots of him before he gets his first hair cut. He's got the most beautiful curls and she is afraid that once they get it cut...the curls will be gone. He's such a ham in front of the camera which made my job super easy.

I am posting two different shots each in color and B&W. What is your preference between the two poses and color or B&W?

Comments and feedback always welcome.

B&W with a Hat:

268469570_zMYrL-L.jpg

Color with a Hat:

268469789_fnugw-L.jpg

B&W without a Hat:

268469649_Pj5bM-L.jpg

Color without a Hat:

268470133_yXqzU-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
* My Mug *

~ * ~ Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young ~ * ~

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 21, 2008
    I prefer without the hat...it's all about the hair, right? I tend to prefer the color version, but I would like to see a little more pop in both and then decide. Nice shooting. thumb.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

Even tho it's an infant, I think they need a bit more contrast.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I like it w/o the hat as well and in color. The B/W versions seem too soft but a really cute child.
    thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    I like the color version with the hat. But that's only because the B&W version is lacking in contrast and detail in his face. If it had those things, I'd choose the B&W with the hat.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • kris10kris10 Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    I like the color version with the hat too. But that's only because the B&W version is lacking in contrast and detail in his face. If it had those things, I'd choose the B&W with the hat.

Thanks for all of this great feedback. I tend to lean towards the one without the hat. His mom likes the hat but mom's always like to put their kids in cutesy little stuff so they can use it against them when they're older. :D His dad however likes the one without the hat.

I think I'll go back to the B&W's and bump the contrast a little and repost to see what you guys think. I have gained this obsession with B&W lately and though usually I do pretty well on the tones, I think I might agree with you all and have left a little lacking in the contrast. I think I was being a little timid because of it being a "portrait". I'll repost when I get back to it. Thanks again everyone! I appreciate it! thumb.gif
    * My Mug *

• ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I think these are nice shots! How are you converting to b/w? What program are you using? If you are simply reducing saturation, that could be why they are flat.
    edited March 24, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I think these are nice shots! How are you converting to b/w? What program are you using? If you are simply reducing saturation, that could be why they are flat.

I use CS2 and I didn't just do saturation. I reduce the saturation and then do a levels and curves adjustment. Sometimes I use channel mixer. I was just a little more light handed this time than usual.
    * My Mug *

edited March 24, 2008
    Have you ever tried a gradient map? That makes a nice b/w and it's sooooo easy.
    edited March 24, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Have you ever tried a gradient map? That makes a nice b/w and it's sooooo easy.
    Actually I haven't. There are so many ways to convert to B&W in PS and that's one I haven't tried. I don't even know if I know how to use gradient map.

I went back to the B&W's earlier and I really wasn't impressed with more contrast. It made it too contrasty but I may try some other methods. I wonder if part of my problem is that there are so many light colors thus washing it out too much in this image. These images may just not be B&W candidates. You guys are welcome to post your versions of B&W too. I'm always willing to see others ideas on how to improve something. thumb.gif
    * My Mug *

edited March 24, 2008
    To do a gradient map, click on the adjustment layers button on the bottom of the layers palette. Click gradient map (not gradient) and then click on the long box in the middle. Select the third one from the left and click okay. Voila! This makes a nice, rich BW. Here's an example:
    247280937_XYHhZ-M.jpg

Okay, two. :lol
    222558697_TbfRF-M.jpg
    edited March 24, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    To do a gradient map, click on the adjustment layers button on the bottom of the layers palette. Click gradient map (not gradient) and then click on the long box in the middle. Select the third one from the left and click okay. Voila! This makes a nice, rich BW. Here's an example:
    :lol

Cute shots. I did the gradient map. Pretty quick and dirty. I'm not sure I like it as much as the other methods I use. I'm also not quite sure if I like it on this particular picture either. headscratch.gif Guess it's all a matter of opinion. I am however going to try it on some others that I convert later on and see if I get used to it. I know I can further tweak with levels, curves and channel mixer. Thanks for the pointers though on how to do gradient map. It's always good to know new ways to do things! mwink.gif
    * My Mug *

edited March 24, 2008
    kris10 wrote:
    Cute shots. I did the gradient map. Pretty quick and dirty. I'm not sure I like it as much as the other methods I use. I'm also not quite sure if I like it on this particular picture either. headscratch.gif Guess it's all a matter of opinion. I am however going to try it on some others that I convert later on and see if I get used to it. I know I can further tweak with levels, curves and channel mixer. Thanks for the pointers though on how to do gradient map. It's always good to know new ways to do things! mwink.gif

I forgot to mention that you should edit the photo for color first...all of the normal contrast/levels/whatever else you like to do...THEN do the gradient map.
    edited March 24, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I forgot to mention that you should edit the photo for color first...all of the normal contrast/levels/whatever else you like to do...THEN do the gradient map.
    Thats funny because I forgot to post my edit. Laughing.gif! And I did do the color edits first. I just reopened my PS file and cut off the other B&W layers I had and added the gradient map one. Here is my version of the gradient map B&W conversion. I think it looks a little too dark around his eyes and face but I did try it out. nod.gif

270085546_RT6Xn-L.jpg
    * My Mug *