Harry's turning three

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited March 24, 2008 in People
So, this was an attempt at some 3 yo pics for H. I learned a few things:
-Kids you don't know are fascinated by you and your camera during a session; your own kid wants to run away from you and laugh.
-The jacket is too big and I need to exchange it and take some more!
-Photographing a 3 yo in an urban setting is stressful and a bit dangerous.
-I get very upset when I can't produce the same results of my own kid than I can for others. I mean, what's the point?

Anyway, here are some very cherry picked shots. Of over 200 frames, there were only a handful of decent ones.

268328575_HDWqr-L.jpg

268329555_HVVjf-L.jpg

3. I wish I had shot this farther away with a longer lens....
268331489_N7fbW-L.jpg

4. That #$#% jacket!!! LOL
268315897_i6ZPA-L.jpg

268324716_fAwU7-L.jpg

268318208_MbL9q-L.jpg

268322088_UdkAk-L.jpg

8. Inspired by Jeffreaux's recent center compositon
268327625_NfQ4a-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    forgot one, the only BW. I can't decide if I like this or not.

268326666_SNZgv-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I think the hardest thing for a parent-photographer to do is capture what the parent feels is a perfect photo!!! I think this whole series of Harry is very endearing!!! It brings back memories for me of my own son growing up and yeah....some tears to my eyes! Harry is SUCH a boy!!! Laughing.gif...I can picture you in my mind trying to contain all that boyish enthusiasm and capture his charm on film. I think you did a great job....the "less than perfect" portraits appeal to me immensely. Even the slightly large jacket reminds us that he is growing in leaps and bounds and soon will leave this jacket behind. I keep trying to pick one...but gee, they all make me smile! iloveyou.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Lynne
    What a beautiful child.....my he's a great looking boy. I really like 3,5,6. Almost takes me back to a shot my grandfather did of my brother & I with the cars & street on the background. Really nice series Lynne. Keep taking shots of him....they grow so fast....too fast, then they get busy and never get to see them it seems.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    They are all great Lynne...Harry is just the cutest!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Excellent Shots! thumb.gif

It helps to have the most adorable 3 year old in the world. I like the BW one, His expression is weird, but I still like it.

Great Work!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    He is just getting too cute! I really like #3 - The pose and his expression - way cool. And 15524779-Ti.gif that if you had shot with a longer lens, the background would have been thrown a bit more OOF. Still, it's a very cool shot! Well done!
  • sle39lvrsle39lvr Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I actually like these alot. You captured everything so well. It will be great for him to someday look back on these...
  • itsaduckitsaduck Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I think these are really great shots and really capture the spirit of a 3yo boy.

As an urban photographer (i.e. I live and shoot in the city), I can totally relate to the challenges of kids' shots so close to the street. You can't beat the light in the city (especially a water city), but the fear of the sudden dart can really affect your camera hold!!

I will say that I like the color shots better. Love the b/w facial expression but not loving the hinges in the background. Though it does kind of lend a devilish appeal. 3yo boys have that, no? :D
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Harry looks so *ROCK STAR* in numbers 2 and 7, those are definitely my favorites. The jacket totally seals the deal on an already adorable boy. Good looks, groovy duds, great pics ... how does one become so blessed???! :D

I love everything about the black and white but the hingest in the background. And maybe it's because I just read an article on Feng Shui the other day, but it looks like we're demasculating and decapitating the young man deal.gifLaughing.gif, and we definitely can't be having that. I'm PS-challenged, but perhaps a quick removal of the leftwards part of the hinges shouldn't be too difficult? Keep from the right up to the flourish, for balance and style, and just get rid of the part that looks like a blade coming out of it (?)
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Wonderful captures!! I actually like the big jacket. I love the lighting and your processing.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Laughing.gif...

I am really ...REALLY liking 5-6-7-8-and-9.

...and I say keep the jacket. The too long sleeves don't detract from the photos....if anything I think it brings more to the table. Now playing"Harry's Three"...coming soon..."Harrys Jacket Fits".

Too cute...sleeves and all.

One question.

In the centered window shot. Did it give you fits in PP trying to align the window with the edges....or are you smarter than me and got it right in camera?

ok....one more question.....why is it that you "cherry pick" and the rest of us lowly souls "cull'? Cherry picking seems so fresh and almost romantic. Culling makes me think of fishing.

Thanks for sharing these Lynne.
    Looks like the two of you had a great time.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    clap.gif I loved them
    Hi Harry :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Awesome.... I wish I could do half as well on my 2.75 yo's 3rd birthday... I'm not even sure I could get 200 shots of him in a small period of time!

I really enjoyed these. thumb.gif
    Chris
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    These are really great - especially 2, 6, 7 and 8 and I think the jacket actually really makes them so!

ann
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    He'll grow into the jacket eventually! :D Reason to reshoot!

My fav is #3
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    He's adorable, and I like your comps. I like the jacket, too! The first four look blown in the face to me--not sure if that was in-camera or if you blew them in PP. The last one has a color cast to it, too, but other than that I think it's a very nice set of shots!!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone!!!
    saurora wrote:
    I think the hardest thing for a parent-photographer to do is capture what the parent feels is a perfect photo!!! I think this whole series of Harry is very endearing!!! It brings back memories for me of my own son growing up and yeah....some tears to my eyes! Harry is SUCH a boy!!! Laughing.gif...I can picture you in my mind trying to contain all that boyish enthusiasm and capture his charm on film. I think you did a great job....the "less than perfect" portraits appeal to me immensely. Even the slightly large jacket reminds us that he is growing in leaps and bounds and soon will leave this jacket behind. I keep trying to pick one...but gee, they all make me smile! iloveyou.gif

Thanks so much, S! I didn't mean to make you cry, but I know when he's all grown up I will long for these days. I'm trying to enjoy them as much as possible, part of the reason I'm "working" less! He's just so much fun right now, and as you said, very much a boy!
    swartzy wrote:
    What a beautiful child.....my he's a great looking boy. I really like 3,5,6. Almost takes me back to a shot my grandfather did of my brother & I with the cars & street on the background. Really nice series Lynne. Keep taking shots of him....they grow so fast....too fast, then they get busy and never get to see them it seems.thumb.gif

Aw, thanks Dave! It's so funny you said that about your grandfather. Harrison is named for my late grandfather, and when we went to my grandmothers yesterday, she said he had a herringbone jacket just like the one Harry was wearing. :D
    cutieso2q wrote:
    They are all great Lynne...Harry is just the cutest!!!
    Thank you Stephenie!!! I appreciate it!
    Pilznr wrote:
    It helps to have the most adorable 3 year old in the world. I like the BW one, His expression is weird, but I still like it. Great Work!
    Thank you for the compliments! I agree with you on the BW, the more I look at it the more it creeps me out, esp after reading stirfy's feng shui take on it (below). Thanks for looking, and for your compliments!
    He is just getting too cute! I really like #3 - The pose and his expression - way cool. And 15524779-Ti.gif that if you had shot with a longer lens, the background would have been thrown a bit more OOF. Still, it's a very cool shot! Well done!
    Hey, Scott! I am liking 3 more and more as I think about which one to fotoflot mwink.gif And I hate doing this, but I think I'm going to try to blur the bg more in PS and see how it looks. But man, it was all I could do to get in focus shots of his face (vs the back of his head) the thought of changing lenses in the middle was nothing short of laughable. Toughest shoot in a long time......you know, the cobblers children and all....rolleyes1.gifThanks for looking!!!
    sle39lvr wrote:
    I actually like these alot. You captured everything so well. It will be great for him to someday look back on these...
    Thank you! It is interesting to think about what he'll say about them when he gets older. He'll have a ton of shoots to C&C for me, that's for sure! Thanks for looking!
    itsaduck wrote:
    I think these are really great shots and really capture the spirit of a 3yo boy.

As an urban photographer (i.e. I live and shoot in the city), I can totally relate to the challenges of kids' shots so close to the street. You can't beat the light in the city (especially a water city), but the fear of the sudden dart can really affect your camera hold!!

I knew it would be a challenge and having another family member to help corral helped immensely. I hadn't done kids this close to the street before, let alone my runner/climber/mom ignorer! Laughing.gif! Unfortunately Indy is about as landlocked as you can get! But I do love city light...so much concrete to bounce light and create open shade, even in harsh mid-day sun situations.

I will say that I like the color shots better. Love the b/w facial expression but not loving the hinges in the background. Though it does kind of lend a devilish appeal. 3yo boys have that, no? :D
    I like this door for other shoots I've done but it just didn't work here....sounds like you agree! Thanks for commenting!
    stirfry wrote:
    Harry looks so *ROCK STAR* in numbers 2 and 7, those are definitely my favorites. The jacket totally seals the deal on an already adorable boy. Good looks, groovy duds, great pics ... how does one become so blessed???!
    Thanks stirfry!!! So cool that you appreciated what I was "going for" in this shoot! I'm sure my bias/obsession with 60s and 70s music is showing....even though he truly loves playing his guitar and watching The Last Waltz, the Bob Dylan tee was completely self-indulgent on my part! I don't get to play dress up with him very often compared to my "mom of girls" counterparts :D
    stirfry wrote:
    I love everything about the black and white but the hinges in the background. And maybe it's because I just read an article on Feng Shui the other day, but it looks like we're demasculating and decapitating the young man deal.gifLaughing.gif, and we definitely can't be having that. (?)
    I knew there was a reason this shot didn't sit well with me (my mom loves it!!) You are so right....now that you have articulated what those hinges are doing....it makes me scared....what have I done!!!! Not getting this one printed, for sure!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I like #7 a lot. Looks like a little Ralph Lauren model. Nice job on the processing. My youngest is 3. I've accepted that I have to throw many shots away in my quest to get one keeper!