Options

my walk this morning...

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited April 5, 2004 in Technique
my walk this morning was so beautiful, I just wanted to share it with you. Pictures are'nt the best but I wanted to share anyway... come with me, it's cool and misty, the chickadees are singing and I just heard a coyote... and I'm alone...

Comments

• Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    my walk this morning was so beautiful, I just wanted to share it with you. Pictures are'nt the best but I wanted to share anyway... come with me, it's cool and misty...
    the dam
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    the dam
    frozen lake
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    try again...
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    last one...
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    last one...
    Really beautiful, all of them. The mist in the air really adds a nice feel to them. Well done.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    Really beautiful, all of them. The mist in the air really adds a nice feel to them. Well done.
    Thank you Shay, coming from you I take that as a real confidence booster and go forth again to take more.. and more.. and more... and maybe? I'll improve.
    :D Lynn
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Nice shots...still looks real cold there lyn. Do your coyote's travel in packs ? We were woken nearly every morning as kids with dingoes howling at 4am. Certainly put your head under the blanket when they came close to the house.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Nice shots...still looks real cold there lyn. Do your coyote's travel in packs ? We were woken nearly every morning as kids with dingoes howling at 4am. Certainly put your head under the blanket when they came close to the house.
    Hi humy thanks, no it was lovely today, about...65F or there abouts when I was out. Snow is melting like mad. Funny you should mention the coyotes.. yes they do run in packs and I was talking to a hunter one day who was telling me they will bring a deer down no problem and when he hikes alone he carries a gun just in case... I'd forgotton all about that conversation til I heard the coyote in the forest this morning... I did pick up a big stick (big help) and figured at least I'd get some good teeth shots before I died. I'm trying not to be paranoid as I love to hike alone.
    Lynneek7.gif
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    As ussual, your shots are all very nice. I liked them all.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    If they will bring a deer down then a human is easy game...watch out.

I spent a lot of time in the bush as a kid by myself on a very old yamaha 175 ag bike. My father put a rifle sling on the front of it & wouldnt let me go of on my explorations without a rifle. Sometimes you would get a cross breed that wasnt as frightened of humans, he said if i fell & broke a leg, he may not find me for a day or 2 so i was in danger of a pack without a gun.

I used to trap & skin dingo's as a kid, got abot 50 odd a year for pocket money...I used to make a lure consisting of bullocks blood..ammonia & dog crap all mixed together & spread it around the traps, wild bloody smell let me tell you. We had a few thousand acres dingo fenced to keep them away from livestock but kangaroos would fight through the fence & rip a hole in the netting fence & next thing you know we would have half a dozen dingoes tearing the sheep to bits....they will 'thrill kill' often only taking a kidney, their fav bit of sheep. We would ride around & have to shoot the wounded the next morning. If they wer'nt too bad then we would sew them up on the spot.

We had a 'working dog' pound that had a 9' fence around & one night they got in there & we never saw one of the working kelpies again. Cattle dogs wer'nt there at the time... lucky for the dingo's or there would have been dingo splattered all over the place, cattle dogs fear nothing !

Do coyotes bark like a dog ? A pure bred dingo wont...just a howl that makes the hair on your neck stand up.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    They are a beautiful animal...see the white tips on the ears & chest, sign of a purebred. Also very wide at the base of the ears
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    lynnma, those are beautiful pics.
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    If they will bring a deer down then a human is easy game...watch out.

We had a 'working dog' pound that had a 9' fence around & one night they got in there & we never saw one of the working kelpies again. Cattle dogs wer'nt there at the time... lucky for the dingo's or there would have been dingo splattered all over the place, cattle dogs fear nothing !

Do coyotes bark like a dog ? A pure bred dingo wont...just a howl that makes the hair on your neck stand up.
    this is a bear that was taken with one of those throw away camera a few years ago. I was camping a group of women and were way out in the mountains of New Hampshire when this bear pushed us out of camp and ate all our food. Lay on his back and tumbled the cookies in his feet before he ate them, packet and all. He ate for over two hours and we were cold and hungary.. what a night that was. He was very big and not scared of us at all.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    :yikes Amazing you got a shot of it.

Your pics o' the morning mist are corkers. Magical quality to them, especially #1. Nice job! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    :yikes Amazing you got a shot of it.

Your pics o' the morning mist are corkers. Magical quality to them, especially #1. Nice job! thumb.gif
    Thank you waxy dear... I appreciate that coming from youiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Lyn,

Great shots. One question, has the first shot been PSed to enhance the color of the road or is that natural?

Again, really nice stuff.

Hutch
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    Lyn,

Great shots. One question, has the first shot been PSed to enhance the color of the road or is that natural?

Again, really nice stuff.

Hutch
    Thanks Hutch.. I upt the saturation just a tad but it was pretty close to natural.. I've been trying not to "over do " the ps stuff.
    :):D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks Hutch.. I upt the saturation just a tad but it was pretty close to natural.. I've been trying not to "over do " the ps stuff.
    :):D
    Lynn, your best work to date - way to go!! Shooting in the fog can be a lot of fun as I am sure you know all too well....

A coyote will not bother a full grown adult either - so - no worries, mate.....lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,909 moderator
    edited March 28, 2004
    Lynn,

Every one of them are keepers! I love the contrast between the mist and
    color. Very magical.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Lynn, your best work to date - way to go!! Shooting in the fog can be a lot of fun as I am sure you know all too well....

A coyote will not bother a full grown adult either - so - no worries, mate.....lickout.gif
    Thanks Ian.. it was a magical walk. Its my first time shooting in the fog actually, I wondered if I would be able to capture it.
    I've never worried about coyotes until this year when there are soooo many here and they are all in HUGE packs...Husband of lynnma is getting me some mace to carry (hopefully the big size) just in case, mace will keep dogs or coyotes from tearing lynnma to shreds. When the big bear came towards me I hid the mace behind my back... and it nodded knowingly, like "don't even think of waving that toy in front of me look". God, it's fur looked about 6 inches thick...

Thanks all for your kind words about my pics...most appreciated.

Lynn:D
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    Lynnma,

Thanks for the tour. I really liked the photos, and think you did a good job of capturing the feelings / images of your walk. (Verry difficult to do)

ps: Isn't it amazing how much bigger a bear looks up close and personal?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Lynnma,

Thanks for the tour. I really liked the photos, and think you did a good job of capturing the feelings / images of your walk. (Verry difficult to do)

ps: Isn't it amazing how much bigger a bear looks up close and personal?
    thanks Sam.. yes it's amazing all right.. very intimidating indeed...nod.gif
  • Options
    mystic7mystic7 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    Wow
    Beautiful pics, lyn. Where do you live, Sleepy Hollow? I'm telling you, the more I see pictures like these, the more I hate S. Florida, warm weather or not. It's just so green and brown and blah here!
    M7
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,909 moderator
    edited March 28, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks Ian.. it was a magical walk. Its my first time shooting in the fog actually, I wondered if I would be able to capture it.
    I've never worried about coyotes until this year when there are soooo many here and they are all in HUGE packs...Husband of lynnma is getting me some mace to carry (hopefully the big size) just in case, mace will keep dogs or coyotes from tearing lynnma to shreds. When the big bear came towards me I hid the mace behind my back... and it nodded knowingly, like "don't even think of waving that toy in front of me look". God, it's fur looked about 6 inches thick...

Thanks all for your kind words about my pics...most appreciated.

Lynn:D
    I saw a coyote in Woodside (of all places) yesterday. In fact, I almost
    hit it as it wandered down the road. Portola Road is popular with the bicycling
    crowd and there were a number of them stopped to look at it. I wish I had
    the camera with me.

Best advice is to not walk alone. Often, predatory animals look for that
    behavior.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    mystic7 wrote:
    Beautiful pics, lyn. Where do you live, Sleepy Hollow? I'm telling you, the more I see pictures like these, the more I hate S. Florida, warm weather or not. It's just so green and brown and blah here!
    M7
    I live in Athol Ma... and yes it is sleepy hollow... too sleepy sometimes. Small rather depressed town but picking up a bit now. My walk was in the Quabbin reservoir which is always lovely any time of year.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I saw a coyote in Woodside (of all places) yesterday. In fact, I almost
    hit it as it wandered down the road. Portola Road is popular with the bicycling
    crowd and there were a number of them stopped to look at it. I wish I had
    the camera with me.

Best advice is to not walk alone. Often, predatory animals look for that
    behavior.

Ian
    Yep you are probably right Ian but how can I not go into the woods alone with my camera... I figure big mace has to do it.. maybe they will realize I'm one of them and leave me alone :nono no no no - no shredding Lynnma
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    another walk yesterday... please critique cruelly... lest methinks I'm improving
    must not get big in boots....:)
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
  • Options
    JewelJewel Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2004
    Beautiful pictures. Of course, I'd rather be where I'm at in sunny and warm Florida.

Jewel