Options

Marque Tool in CS3

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 22, 2008 in Finishing School
I use CS3 Extended and I have been doing macro shots. I was wanting to get rid of a small border by using the Marque tool. I was advised to use this tool and set it at a fixed ratio of 3:2 to preserve the picture ration normally. However, I could not find this setting on CS3 which is apparently there on CS2. Can anyone please help me on this one.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Your description of your task sounds like you should be using the crop tool anyway???
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    No, the technique is correct. The crop tool has no option for a pure aspect ratio (that is, ratio only, not locked to a unit of measure), but the marquee tool does. The option is in the same place in CS3, on the options bar for the marquee tool. Maybe the Options bar is hidden? If it is, turn it on from the View menu.
  • Options
    TerryLPTerryLP Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Actually, both tools mentioned have the ability to lock in a height and width measurment in CS3 Extended. I almost always do this with the crop tool though. Look in the tool bar at the top.
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    On the bar
    I'm not sitting in front of my CS3 right now, so I don't remember the exact location or wording...but with marquee there is something like, "Fixed Size" and "Fixed Ratio". If you select Fixed Ratio, you can set something like 8x10 without forcing 8x10 inches, points, etc.

In other words, with Fixed Ratio there is no difference between setting 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, etc. whereas with Fixed Size, those marquees would be very different sizes.

It's on the options bar, in a pull-down - as I recall.

- Gary.
  • Options
    TerryLPTerryLP Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    If it is only a ratio function that you are looking for it is under the Style drop down of the Marquee tool. The Marquee has fixed size and ratio ability. The Crop tool has size and resolultion.