Actor headshot session

gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited March 22, 2008 in People
I did some headshots for an actor friend of mine, trying to build up a portfolio of work so I can get some paying gigs in the field... Anyway, I'd love any critique y'all might have. We did a few looks in a few locations, here's our favorites from the session. (I've done some basic white balance, contrast, levels, and sharpening, but haven't cropped anything yet...) Thanks for looking!

267675601_oHk43-XL.jpg

268603094_mVcZ2-XL.jpg

268606494_XxMhw-XL.jpg

267683262_nPeyB-XL.jpg

267686055_X2uY9-XL.jpg

267686848_Ds7iq-XL.jpg
There's a thin line between genius and stupid.

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I have no idea who actors submit head shots to, but this man obviously has a look he cultivates, and I think your shots portray it quite effectively. I'd say you had a successful session.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    The first photo could use more DOF so both eyes are in sharp focus. Even at this size I can tell the left eye is slightly oof.

What size ratio will these be printed? If they are to be 4x5 ratio then the first two do not have enough room to crop. They will be too tight at 8x10.

You could raise and bring forward your hair light in the last two. Those two also look a little too yellow.

I think the 3rd and fourth are the strongest out of the group.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I really enjoy his look. He looks so friendly in each- like the friendly lumberjack, friendly civil war hero, friendly professor, friendly guy with a cool moustache and beard... rolleyes1.gif

I think your shots are fine, but I do agree about the yellow in the last two, and the dof in #1 is the first thing I noticed (after the facial hair, :D lol).
    I wish there was more space around him, but understand the desire for headshot portraits. Really fun model and shoot! I hope it is a great springboard for more paying gigs for you!
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback!

yeah, it's too bad about the DOF problem in #1. Quite a few from this setup had that problem. I was shooting at 2.0 with my new 85mm lens, and thought I'd have enough depth for the eyes. Lesson learned!

I didn't even think about final output when shooting. Doh! I'll have to ask him what he needs. I was just framing what looked good in the viewfinder. I guess I need to be more thoughtful about the final product when shooting. Lesson 2 learned!

I'll fix the yellow on the "studio" (dining room) shots, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't have a hair light, just a main and then one on the background. I'll have to try a hair light next time, that'd probably help get better separation from the background.

Thanks again for looking and taking the time to critique!
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.