Going to Yosemite - What Lens to take ?

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited March 22, 2008 in Cameras
I will be going to Yosemite for about 5 days in June. I have the Nikon D300, 18-200mm VR lens, and the 12-34mm wide angle. I will be doing a lot of landscapes, and close ups for animals, flowers, etc.

Now I'm trying to decide between the 80-400mm VR lens or the 70-200mm VR. I have used both, and I IQ on the 80-400mm is very surprising/impressive. But its heavy and slow. Thinking I may want to use for long range close ups....but its heavy and carrying it on my back for 10+ hours a day may be not that much fun. The 70-200mm is solid. Phenomenal IQ. But that range is already covered by my 18-200mm.

What do you think?
--
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    70-200 deal.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    I will be going to Yosemite for about 5 days in June. I have the Nikon D300, 18-200mm VR lens, and the 12-34mm wide angle. I will be doing a lot of landscapes, and close ups for animals, flowers, etc.

Now I'm trying to decide between the 80-400mm VR lens or the 70-200mm VR. I have used both, and I IQ on the 80-400mm is very surprising/impressive. But its heavy and slow. Thinking I may want to use for long range close ups....but its heavy and carrying it on my back for 10+ hours a day may be not that much fun. The 70-200mm is solid. Phenomenal IQ. But that range is already covered by my 18-200mm.

What do you think?
    --

I double Andy's vote. clap.gif

when are you going to be there? I will be there in June as well!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • danbrewdanbrew Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    70-200mm.

And the very sexy 10.5 DX. :)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 21, 2008
    If you will be hiking and want to do wildlife, you might consider a Nikkor 300mm, f4 ED-IF AF-S and TC-14E II converter. (Rental might make some sense.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I double Andy's vote. clap.gif

when are you going to be there? I will be there in June as well!

I will be in the valley on June 16th-19th. Doing this to get the best opportunity to do night shot of the valley in the moonlight. Also, I think I may have a good chance of seeing great waterfall action...
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Best Accessory for Yosemite...
    Unless you have unlimited amounts of time in which to wait for the correct light at many of the major photo sites in Yosemite; I recommend getting a copy of the book, PhotoSecrets Yosemite, by Andrew Hudson. This is a small sized book which can be purchased inexpensively on Amazon.com.

It recommends times of the day to shoot many of the "must-have" shots in the Yosemite area. It also recommends in which sequence to visit the primary locations so you don't waste time by getting to a spot and finding that the light is bad at that time of day.