Options

A year ago today, in Saskatchewan

RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
edited March 24, 2008 in Journeys
As per the title, I was visiting with relatives out in the mostly flat lands of southwest saskatchewan, around Eston, for the very few people who know where that is...

245232523_aSkLw-L.jpg

This was at dawn, had to get up early, in the very very cold weather out there. In fact, I almost ran over a family group of pronghorn in the early morning light, they're so well camouflaged for the terrain that it was only the hint of movement that saved them and me from a bad incident in the early morning light where one's headlights just don't cut it.

245232999_Y4r9S-L.jpg

This was my best attempt at portraying the roads around there... They actually have to correct for the curvature of the earth every so often.

245236245_2uEpf-L.jpg

I consider this more landscape than wildlife, but a bit of both, I loved the light on the pronghorn. This was at dusk, when my brother, my uncle and I were roving across the countryside looking for wildlife.

245237697_DKVBu-L.jpg

This is the South Saskatchewan river, still somewhat ice-jammed.

245238129_P9Vct-L.jpg

Same location, different direction a few minutes later. Saskatchewan's motto is "Land of Living Skies"

A little more about the trip, this is all near the old family farm, I was only too eager to get out and about to have some new landscapes, I've not had much travel outside my little valley in British Columbia since getting my camera, and so this was tons of fun. One of the nice things is that the pace of life here is slow enough that my uncle and grandfather were only too eager to get out and about looking for subjects. Both of them are hunters, and they enjoyed the chase to track down the pronghorns, mule deer, moose and Canada geese that were in the area, so later in the day especially I got a lot of chances to drive around. We didn't have much luck with moose, though I have a number of nice shots of pronghorn, at least got to see some mulies bolting away when it was too dark for my 70-300, and actually got to see some coyotes from a quite large distance. The Canada geese we found were on a half frozen pond, some of them swimming, others standing on the ice:

245233444_3ZM5Q-L.jpg

I'm getting an ultra-wide and planning some further trips, so I wanted to hear what everyone had to say about my previous outing.

Hope you like 'em!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Hi, please enable external links in your gallery, so folks can see your images thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Robin - I am getting red Xs - need to turn your external links on in your gallery.

I've been to Eson. Had an aunt and uncle from there, my dad grew up in Brock and I was born in Kindersley!

I was on a business trip recently,and describng Saskatchewan. I said many people describe it as flat nd boring, whereas I see stunning vistas, beautiful golden wheat fields and never ending skies.

Looking forward to seeing your photos....

ann

PS - do you know a Robin Taylor from N. Van?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, please enable external links in your gallery, so folks can see your images thumb.gif

Sorry about that guys 11doh.gif I thought I had that set as a default, but I guess not!!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Robin - I am getting red Xs - need to turn your external links on in your gallery.

I've been to Eson. Had an aunt and uncle from there, my dad grew up in Brock and I was born in Kindersley!

I was on a business trip recently,and describng Saskatchewan. I said many people describe it as flat nd boring, whereas I see stunning vistas, beautiful golden wheat fields and never ending skies.

Looking forward to seeing your photos....

ann

PS - do you know a Robin Taylor from N. Van?

Hi Ann,

It never ceases to amaze me how many people have roots back there! And I agree entirely with your assessment, the only thing I really don't like is the bugs, and sometimes the temperature, otherwise it's just awesome!

And I don't know a Robin Taylor from N. Van, but there's a Colin Taylor there who's my older brother.
  • Options
    theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Incredible. Each and every shot is amazing. bowdown.gif Have fun with the ultra wide and please post the results!!!! Thanks for sharing. clap.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Incredible. Each and every shot is amazing. bowdown.gif Have fun with the ultra wide and please post the results!!!! Thanks for sharing. clap.gif

iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Lovely photos of the prairies.
    I've been to Eston on a few occasions, mainly for work.
    That stretch of highway is rather 'boring' per-say compared to some of the hidden gems within Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan is always portrayed as this flat, only prairie, deer ridden province, which isn't a bad thing; I just want you folks who've never been to my home that there's more to us than wheat stocks. :D
    Ps I'm so happy to see photos from Saskatchewan. Thanks for sharing!!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Great shots! I moved to Saskatoon from Minnesota, and find the landscapes to be stunning on occasion, and always at least mildly interesting.

I guess when you can see for 10 miles, there is always something in your field of view to look at. ne_nau.gif