Dragon Fly (newly hatched?)

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited March 25, 2008 in Holy Macro
I think this one maybe newly hatched. it just sat there for me, no matter how close I got. MM

268702183_czaX4-L.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Hmm, I'll wait for the experts to weigh in on this, I think it is fresh out of the water, looks more like a damselfly, it's hard to tell but I think the eyes are separated, which I think means damselfly. I could be mistaken, it's hard to say exactly what the geometry of its head is like from this angle.

It's a lovely capture, you really targeted the focus well!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Lovely capture :)
    Not a damselfly or dragonfly - looks more similar to something from the lacewing/antlion families.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I think this one maybe newly hatched. it just sat there for me, no matter how close I got. MM

I was just about to make the comment that its not a Dragon or a Damsel,
    but Brian beat me to it rolleyes1.gif lucky he's on the ball hu :D

Looks very much like an Antlion, they have a long tail like a dragon or damsel.... the antennae gives it away that it's neither a Dragon or Damsel.

Good shot MM thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited March 24, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    the antennae gives it away that it's neither a Dragon or Damsel.
    11doh.gif It's funny how obvious that kind of thing seems once pointed out! Truly, I wouldn't have guessed, and yet it really is, painfully obvious
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    very sharp focus on the eyes - nice photo. Don't you just love it when they keep still for you. He/she was most probably wondering what the heck you were doing rolleyes1.gif
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Thanks
    When ever I get to spend a long time (20 min) with a subject in their world... It’s had to describe the feeling but I do feel some kind of connection. I usually thank the little critter before I leave. I know its weird... but they don’t have to sit there a pose. MM

MichelleL wrote:
    very sharp focus on the eyes - nice photo. Don't you just love it when they keep still for you. He/she was most probably wondering what the heck you were doing rolleyes1.gif
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
    edited March 25, 2008
    When ever I get to spend a long time (20 min) with a subject in their world... It’s had to describe the feeling but I do feel some kind of connection. I usually thank the little critter before I leave. I know its weird... but they don’t have to sit there a pose. MM

I guess I must be weird too, when that 1 in 100 subject just sits there modelling, I'm nothing but gratitude! I've had the odd bird or bug do this, and it is just a priviledge!