My new baby(s)

theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
edited March 22, 2008 in People
This is a picture of my 6 month old son Landon. The picture was taken with my Brand new 40D, the (s) in the equation. :D I took this picture shortly after I got the camera so I was still getting used to it.....I'm not shooting RAW right now because I have CS2 and Camera RAW 3.7 doesn't support the 40D and I don't really like processing with the Canon software. Any feedback or c/c would be appreciated. I have a lot to learn but I'm having a blast doing it!

IMG_0094copy-2.jpg
Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"

Comments

• CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    I have a question in regards to your comment about how you "don't really like processing with the Canon software". Why is this? I've been using the digital photo professional (and CS2) for about a year now with both my XTI and my 40D and find it very easy to use and very effective at making appropriate adjustments to my shots. That's why I'm curious to know why u'd rather limit your ability to fine tune your shots, than use that software. Kinda like the saying.....cut off your nose to spite your face.

As for the photo, it's more of a snapshot than a portrait, so I'm not sure what C&C you are looking for. It looks like you used the on-camera flash, which I feel is inappropriate for this type of use, because it left your beautiful son looking a bit pale. IMO, the on camera flash is best used as a fill flash in situations where you are like 8-10 feet from a back, side, or overhead lit subject.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    The positive to the on camera flash is that he has beautiful catchlights in his eyes!

The trick is to expose in a way that softens the light (more ambient) but still gets that sparkle in there. My personal favourite is with bounce flash, because you usually still get that catchlight, but also a nice soft quality of light. In the meantime, you might try warming the colours a bit.

And I do second that DPP is personally my favourite program for raws. If I need to retouch something cs2 is the one, but DPP makes everything simple and quick, just the way I like it 99% of the time, plus canon is slowly making it more and more powerful (lens correction, etc)